IGNORED

Is it the backroom staff holding up a decision?

Dynamite Red

I do wonder if the hold up to appoint our new manager is down to our  reluctance to change the back room staff. Look at our recent history under Lansdown:-

Tinnion - w/Millen (already at club).
G.Johnson - w/Millen (already at club).
Coppell - w/Millen (already at club).
Millen - w/Wigley.
McInnes - w/Docherty.
Sean O'Driscoll - w/Pemberton
Cottrell - w/Pemberton (already at club).
L.Johnson - w/Pemberton then(already at club) then Holden.

SL has stated before he doesn't like to change the backroom staff due to cost involved and this has played out previously. 

Most managers like to have their own team appointed.  I imagine someone like Hughton would demand he has his trusty lieutenants that has brought him success before.

Could it be we had planned to go for a high profile appointment but realised the cost and demands for additional staff a baulked at the price?

Don't be surprised if our new man is made to work with Holden an Macca which may put higher profile candidates off the job. Just a thought.

• The title was changed to Is it the backroom staff holding up a decision?
15 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

I do wonder if the hold up to appoint our new manager is down to our  reluctance to change the back room staff. Look at our recent history under Lansdown:-

Millen - w/Wigley.
McInnes - w/Docherty.

SL has stated before he doesn't like to change the backroom staff due to cost involved and this has played out previously. 

Most managers like to have their own team appointed.  I imagine someone like Hughton would demand he has his trusty lieutenants that has brought him success before.

Could it be we had planned to go for a high profile appointment but realised the cost and demands for additional staff a baulked at the price?

Don't be surprised if our new man is made to work with Holden an Macca which may put higher profile candidates off the job. Just a thought.

Who's to say his trusty lieutenants aren't working elsewhere by now.  It was over a year ago that he left Brighton.

Whatever the situation the club will put us out of our misery in due course.

41 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Millen - w/Wigley.
McInnes - w/Docherty.

SL what are the cost implications of reaching the Premiership? You employed Lee and let him bring in his friends. Lee has gone they must go. I would guess  to sack them it may cost the club £2-3 m, an cost of an average championship player. If that is the reason why we do not have a manager already in place it shows no ambition at all.

I feel this IS a factor and said as much on another thread last week.

I remain convinced that things with Coppell might have worked out differently if he had been ALLOWED to bring Wally Downes and Nick Hammond with him rather than have to accept support from Keef Millen who is a jolly nice chap and we like to do things the right way down here!!!!!

36 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Who's to say his trusty lieutenants aren't working elsewhere by now.  It was over a year ago that he left Brighton.

I think his previous head coach (Trollope) and assistant (Calderwood) are both out of work.

Even if they were in work, it is fairly common for a manager to want to appoint their own backroom team and we know there is a resistance to this from our owner, as a result this may rule out certain candidates.

Does anyone know just how common it is for a new manager to bring a team in?  In my head, it is quite commonplace but may well be the exception, rather than the rule and the ‘usual’ case is new manager has to work with whoever is there. Anyone know where there are data?

if it is common that a team comes in does ANY appointment, other than Holden, mean DH and JMc will automatically have to leave?

1 hour ago, Dynamite Red said:

Millen - w/Wigley.
McInnes - w/Docherty.

What do they say about little minds and their perspective in the real world. What are you talking about ?

14 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

I think his previous head coach (Trollope) and assistant (Calderwood) are both out of work.

Even if they were in work, it is fairly common for a manager to want to appoint their own backroom team and we know there is a resistance to this from our owner, as a result this may rule out certain candidates.

Similarly, we could hang on to Holden and MacAllister.... only to find LJ gets a job and takes them with him. 

Loyalty doesn’t really exist when it comes to transfers/hiring and firing in football.... i hope City daft enough to think they can change that. 

20 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Quite possible

Any new manager candidate who cant sell his ideas or coach his vision to his backroom staff clearly won't have the ability to sell his ideas or coach his vision to his players.

"You can't work with our backroom staff? Thanks for your application.....NEXT!"

31 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Does anyone know just how common it is for a new manager to bring a team in?  In my head, it is quite commonplace but may well be the exception, rather than the rule and the ‘usual’ case is new manager has to work with whoever is there. Anyone know where there are data?

if it is common that a team comes in does ANY appointment, other than Holden, mean DH and JMc will automatically have to leave?

It seems fairly common place especially in the higher divisions.

5 of our previous 8 managerial appointments have worked with an assistant manager already at the club, that doesn't include Millen who was promoted up to manager so it was necessary to appoint a new assistant. 

SL has previously expressed his reluctance in the past to make changes to the coaching staff on appointing a new manager.

If this strategy still remains the case and a key consideration then it is likely to put off a number of candidates, especially those who are in demand or of a higher profile.

43 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Similarly, we could hang on to Holden and MacAllister.... only to find LJ gets a job and takes them with him. 

Loyalty doesn’t really exist when it comes to transfers/hiring and firing in football.... i hope City daft enough to think they can change that. 

I would hope with SL’ s business acumen he would have ensured that their employment contracts were written appropriately 

5 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

It seems fairly common place especially in the higher divisions.

5 of our previous 8 managerial appointments have worked with an assistant manager already at the club, that doesn't include Millen who was promoted up to manager so it was necessary to appoint a new assistant. 

SL has previously expressed his reluctance in the past to make changes to the coaching staff on appointing a new manager.

If this strategy still remains the case and a key consideration then it is likely to put off a number of candidates, especially those who are in demand or of a higher profile.

Which makes me think we need to relax that a bit. I wonder if SL would be happy to work with complete strangers on the board?

9 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

Any new manager candidate who cant sell his ideas or coach his vision to his backroom staff clearly won't have the ability to sell his ideas or coach his vision to his players.

Quite possibly but most managers at this level and above seem to want to appoint their own staff, I would suggest we are exception to that rule which maybe causing an issue.

Look at our recent past there is a clear trend, would someone like Hughton take on a job here if he feels he would be hampered by using staff he doesn't want or feel comfortable with, it is likely to be a make or break decision for a number of candidates. 

1 hour ago, Mad Cyril said:

Blimey Cyril, I’ve been trying to find the joke that invariably comes with your posts and there isn’t one.  

That must prove how serious the situation has got!!! 

2 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

If that's his attitude he show no idea at all of moving the club forward. Do you want to be in my gang, my gang, my gang. A lot of the top manager will say NO.

5 hours ago, BigTone said:

Depending on who they appoint they could be extending the misery a bit longer......

5 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

SL what are the cost implications of reaching the Premiership? You employed Lee and let him bring in his friends. Lee has gone they must go. I would guess  to sack them it may cost the club £2-3 m, an cost of an average championship player. If that is the reason why we do not have a manager already in place it shows no ambition at all.

All that counts against FFP in its entirety. As does a new managers wages, compensation fee if necessary and any compensation due to LJ!

Plus any new backroom staff- costs in wages and if necessary getting them from another club. Lots of little things can add up to something bigger.

3 hours ago, QuedgeRed said:

SL is investment banking.

You have to speculate to accumulate!!

⤴️

Again, see above- how do we stand on this vs FFP? Sheffield Wednesday just been docked 12 points- appears things are being taken more seriously now.

Or could it be that the new appointment is coming into the country from Spain or another country with restrictions and has to go into lockdown for 2 weeks. I am clutching at straws now and cannot understand why the club are not communicating with us “the supporters” on what progress is being made, are we not important!!!

The new coaching staff could be holding the announcement up, I believe City have interviewed Tommy Brown from Fulchester United but he won't come unless he can bring his coach Syd Preston, Mark Ashton is holding out on keeping Dean and Jamie, Tommy has countered by saying he could bring in Billy the Fish, Shaking Stevens and Mick Hucknall on the cheap, this option has split the interview panel and creating the hold up. Maybe I'm just losing the will plot

Archived