IGNORED

Playoff Final tomorrow

CyderInACan

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

@Kid in the Riot @The Bard a team that has spent 14 out of the last 19 seasons in the top flight including an intertoto cup win and runners up in the Europa league are bigger than us I’m afraid. 

Depends on the parameters you're judging it on. In terms of achievements, then yes. If you're looking at the bigger picture and potential for growth you could definitely make a case for us. I'd say our support is bigger and in London with the competition they have within their catchment area there's a very clear ceiling for Fulham. 

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Depends on the parameters you're judging it on. In terms of achievements, then yes. If you're looking at the bigger picture and potential for growth you could definitely make a case for us. I'd say our support is bigger and in London with the competition they have within their catchment area there's a very clear ceiling for Fulham. 

Not sure.. they have a new stand underway which will increase their capacity, I think, by around 6 thousand. They will easily fill it.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Crowds are the same when Fulham don’t have reduced capacity. The only thing we have over them is a nicer stadium.  I’d love it if city could get close to their ceiling.  Not quite sure how a club who hasn’t been in the top flight for 40 years can be considered the same size as someone who has achieved what they have. 

Ask any neutral fan and 99% would say Fulham are bigger than Bristol City

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Crowds are the same when Fulham don’t have reduced capacity. The only thing we have over them is a nicer stadium.  I’d love it if city could get close to their ceiling.  Not quite sure how a club who hasn’t been in the top flight for 40 years can be considered the same size as someone who has achieved what they have. 

Ask any neutral fan and 99% would say Fulham are bigger than Bristol City

I think we've got a higher ceiling than Fulham, the main thing they've got going for them over us is being London based which really helps attract international players.

Realistically they can only ever hope to be maybe the 6th biggest team in London, and in my experience more people are casual fans of Charlton, QPR and Millwall (ie the type of fans who'd go to a Wembley game or cup tie but not your bog standard league game) than Fulham.

Obviously more football supporters are aware of Fulham because they've competed at a higher level than us, but in terms of ceiling and potential I think we've got more. 

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

I think we've got a higher ceiling than Fulham, the main thing they've got going for them over us is being London based which really helps attract international players.

Realistically they can only ever hope to be maybe the 6th biggest team in London, and in my experience more people are casual fans of Charlton, QPR and Millwall (ie the type of fans who'd go to a Wembley game or cup tie but not your bog standard league game) in than Fulham.

Obviously more football supporters are aware of Fulham because they've competed at a higher level than us, but in terms of ceiling and potential I think we've got more. 

Even if we have more potential it doesn’t make us a bigger club.  If we ever realised that potential then maybe we would be.  40 years outside the top flight is a long time.  Pretty sure over half of those years hasnt even been spent in the second flight. 

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Even if we have more potential it doesn’t make us a bigger club.  If we ever realised that potential then maybe we would be.  40 years outside the top flight is a long time.  Pretty sure over half of those years hasnt even been spent in the second flight. 

That's true - I think we're looking at it from different angles ultimately. I agree with you that if you that your average football fan would say Fulham for the reasons you've mentioned.

I think nationally we're a fairly unique case in terms of huge catchment area combined with affluent owner, new stadium and underachievement. The only other modern parallel I can think of being Brighton. Your average non-City fan probably wouldn't consider all of that. 

Archived