IGNORED

JET

Bristolisredd

I say bring him back.

Either give him a trial to prove himself, or give him a pay-as-you-play deal for a year. Let him have a crack at the Championship, and we'll take it from there.

Failing that, I'm shocked that JET hasn't made his way to MLS. He seems like a perfect player for over there.

When we signed him, my nephew an ITFC ST Holder,  told me sometimes he's a match winner, other times he looks like he'd rather be somewhere else.

As for having him back; OK  we might get  some useful performances out of him, but is he too old / unfit now for top  end of the Championship?

1 minute ago, GILLI said:

Was decent on HIS day .... but was way to inconsistent .... him and O’Dowda in the same team now means we’d be basically paying with 9 players 

Are you seriously saying that playing with JET was like playing a man short?  You must have been watching different games to me.  Yes, his body language can be difficult to read sometimes, but I saw no lack of effort from the guy and many exceptional performances.  All players have their off-days,  and I don’t remember JET having any more than anyone else.

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Are you seriously saying that playing with JET was like playing a man short?  You must have been watching different games to me.  Yes, his body language can be difficult to read sometimes, but I saw no lack of effort from the guy and many exceptional performances.  All players have their off-days,  and I don’t remember JET having any more than anyone else.

Yeah I can't remember games where he was terrible, just some where he was average and others where he was fantastic. He's a far more talented footballer than O'Dowda anyway so it's a bit of an odd comparison. 

I can’t actually believe people on here and twitter are considering this a feasible idea haha. Good on his day but his day was too inconsistent and wasn’t taken to the championship for a good reason.

It shouldn’t even be a discussion!

good luck to the bloke but come on 

5 minutes ago, lou2BS7 said:

I can’t actually believe people on here and twitter are considering this a feasible idea haha. Good on his day but his day was too inconsistent and wasn’t taken to the championship for a good reason.

I think people are largely saying if he wants to come on for a trial and can prove he still has the ability plus has the application to get fit.. we should give him a go as there's nothing to lose. 

Mainly the thread is an appreciation of how good he could be for us a few seasons back.

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I genuinely don’t recall him being massively inconsistent. No more so than anyone else. 

My ladder of Bristol City love sees JET tied with Ade Akinbiyi at the opposite end of the spectrum to Lee Johnson (as manager). 

He's up there for me with Lee Trundle, David Noble, Adomah and Hartley as favourite players I've watched. There's something about the flawed genius types (Trundle, Noble and JET) that I really enjoy. Strangely I never warmed to Tomlin in quite the same way, I think that's because it's pretty obvious that he's not a very nice man.

1 hour ago, 22A said:

When we signed him, my nephew an ITFC ST Holder,  told me sometimes he's a match winner, other times he looks like he'd rather be somewhere else.

As for having him back; OK  we might get  some useful performances out of him, but is he too old / unfit now for top  end of the Championship?

I just checked the odds on that question with the bookies. They offered me 1000/1. 

Was a very good, exciting player, but we have moved on significantly since then. He hasn't made it elsewhere since leaving us and that says it all. 

Thanks for the memories but let's not waste time even giving him a trial when we have our own players who need the time (ala Szmodics, Palmer). 

2 hours ago, lou2BS7 said:

Not taken to the championship?

We wanted him to sign and he wouldn’t sign a new deal. He then signed for QPR... in the championship. 

5 minutes ago, Angmering Red said:

My recollection was that he was released as Cotterill didn't want him to stay once his contract finished.

I am 99% sure that is the correct version of events.

There are essentially two debates taking place here. One is about whether a return to the club is a realistic idea. The second concerns JET’s ability and the contribution he made during his time here. 

As to the first question, whilst I would have absolutely no problem with offering him the opportunity to train with us, I honestly think - and I say this as a huge admirer of the man’s talent - the chances of him ever being fit for purpose in the Championship again are vanishingly small.

Regarding his ability, I’ve supported City for nearly 60 years and he is probably the most naturally gifted footballer I’ve ever seen in a City shirt in that time. Anyone who couldn’t see that ability should get themselves either a football education or an urgent appointment at SpecSavers - or both. 

His shortcomings are well known, but as others have rightly said, if you doubt that he made a valuable contribution here, check the stats on appearances, goals and assists. They don’t lie. Then when you’ve done that, give yourself a treat and watch all the footage you can find of those goals and assists on YouTube or wherever.

Whatever else he was or was not, one thing is indisputable: the guy was an absolutely fantastic footballer.

11 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

That was Freeman, wasn't it?

Yes, it was.

On 03/08/2020 at 18:21, SecretSam said:

Trundle had zero end product. Lots of prancing around (very slowly) but bar one game, achieved very little for us. Swansea must have laughed their arses off when we bought him.

Jacki and JET, on the other hand, could do it - but only when they could be arsed.

I am assuming the game to which you refer was home to Scunthorpe - in which LT scored one of the best goals I have ever seen at Ashton Gate.

If not, then there were at least two games in which Trundle played (exceptionally) well and, it might be argued furthermore, had GJ played him in such a way/position that he was able to show off his undoubted talent, we might have got automatic promotion that year, rather than having to play (and lose to) Hull in the play-offs.  

Rather than 'laughing their asses off when we bought him' I can well imagine Swansea were dumbfounded as to how we (GJ) tried to change what was, and had been for many years, an unqualified success, i.e. changing the way LT had played to such a high standard that we paid £1M for him. 

Archived