IGNORED

JET

Bristolisredd

14 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Rather than 'laughing their asses off when we bought him' I can well imagine Swansea were dumbfounded as to how we (GJ) tried to change what was, and had been for many years, an unqualified success, i.e. changing the way LT had played to such a high standard that we paid £1M for him. 

The man who'd torn apart the leagues below us. Nope, don't buy it. We didn't need him and he didn't do enough.

Steve Cotterill let JET go and said his body wasn't designed for modern day professional football where athleticism and the ability to get up and down the pitch counts. I think he was being genuine rather than using natural lack of fitness as a euphemism for laziness.  

I could see a committed JET still doing really well in league 1 with the right manager and his stats for goals and assists were excellent.   You'd think he would almost be worth taking a chance on as a last ten minutes impact player in the Championship.  The problem with that is that JET seemed to get up to his best after playing a few games.  I'm guessing he loved playing rather than training and a few consecutive 90 minutes on the pitch was the best, or only, way to get him to a level of fitness where he could show his natural ability.

17 hours ago, Angmering Red said:

My recollection was that he was released as Cotterill didn't want him to stay once his contract finished.

Wasn’t it just a simple case of him being affordable because Ipswich were still contributing to his wages in 14/15, but he was too expensive without that contribution.

Maybe, I remember he was signed as a swap with Anderson going to Ipswich, so something would have been sorted between the clubs regarding wages, particularly as he was out of favour at Ipswich.

He was never really first choice under Cotterill then, as he had been the season before, as we had signed Wilbs and Agard, he and Smith came in when they were injured, so after promotion would think that Cotterill had others in mind to try to sign instead ahead of him...Gayle, Gray, Kodjia as it turned out.

Just now, Simon79 said:

The lad can still finish. COYR 

JET ✈️ (@OfficialJET10) Tweeted: Keeping the finishing ready, incase i got go somewhere soon ?⚽?⚽https://t.co/oeiWbMfEZ5

I’d 100% have him back. I know it’s silly, but I loved watching him play. You don’t just lose talent like has at 29. His main issue will be proving fitness.

Hmmm. Some of us looking at this through beer-tinted, nostalgic goggles, i fear.

I would love to have him back at his weaving, step-over, bursting, subliminal prime, but even then, it was like playing with 10 and a half players, due to his inability to get back and contribute to defensive duties.

Let the hope die ... sorry ? but it's a painful, no from me

1 minute ago, LocoPal said:

Hmmm. Some of us looking at this through beer-tinted, nostalgic goggles, i fear.

I would love to have him back at his weaving, step-over, bursting, subliminal prime, but even then, it was like playing with 10 and a half players, due to his inability to get back and contribute to defensive duties.

Let the hope die ... sorry ? but it's a painful, no from me

Are you really saying that a fully fit and motivated JET would have nothing to offer our fairly average squad at the ripe old age of 29?

He’s got that X-factor that only a few players have. He’s never going to be an all action pressing ‘busy bee’ forward.. but what he does offer is mercurial talent that only a few players possess.

At the very least I’d love to see him offered a trial.. if he’s not up to it then nothing ventured nothing gained.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Are you really saying that a fully fit and motivated JET would have nothing to offer our fairly average squad at the ripe old age of 29?

He’s got that X-factor that only a few players have. He’s never going to be an all action pressing ‘busy bee’ forward.. but what he does offer is mercurial talent that only a few players possess.

At the very least I’d love to see him offered a trial.. if he’s not up to it then nothing ventured nothing gained.

Definately deserves a trial. No risk there. Agreed.

And he will rip it up in some lower divs, as long as there are hard working and experienced midfielders to make up for his slack. I've no doubt about that either.

But ... at present we have a light-weight/inexperienced midfield that can't carry potentially explosive show-ponies. That would be my worry.

6 minutes ago, LocoPal said:

Definately deserves a trial. No risk there. Agreed.

And he will rip it up in some lower divs, as long as there are hard working and experienced midfielders to make up for his slack. I've no doubt about that either.

But ... at present we have a light-weight/inexperienced midfield that can't carry potentially explosive show-ponies. That would be my worry.

I’m incredibly biased as JET is one of my favourite ever City players so I’ll never be objective about him.

What I do think though, in all seriousness, is that whilst he’s a free agent - in these testing times - he’s worth a trial at the very least to see where he’s at. He has more natural ability than anyone else in our squad in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I’m incredibly biased as JET is one of my favourite ever City players so I’ll never be objective about him.

What I do think though, in all seriousness, is that whilst he’s a free agent - in these testing times - he’s worth a trial at the very least to see where he’s at. He has more natural ability than anyone else in our squad in my opinion.

I know it didn't go to plan for him at Cheltenham on trial, but that isn't necessary down to ability of course.

He might be wanting a higher wage than they were prepared to offer.

4 minutes ago, RobArnold10 said:

Should we invite him to training? Sure, why not. May help the youth learn a few skills.

Should we sign him? God no, the guys hasn’t played at this level for a number of years nor has he even shown the signs of doing so. The love in on Twitter is insane.

Where’s your sense of adventure - he is fantastic 

I’d take a JET type over a Weimann any day 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think I lost it when I turned thirty and couldn’t handle the beer so well. 

Don’t get me wrong I love a good flair player, but do we not have KP45? I heard he played for us!

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think if you have played football at any level, watching him make it look that easy was almost heartbreaking. I think it’s a shame that there are so few managers and coaches out there that can’t build a team around players like him. Let others do the running around and let the opposition worry about him. 
I still laugh at the time on this board when I think he had been involved in something like all but 2 of our 30 odd goals in a season, and people wanted to drop him because we were conceding too many, :)

Having said that, never go back.

Invite him down for some charity matches though. 

31 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

After so few goals from outside the box last season, watching this makes you realise what we were missing, and why LJ-ball was so dull.

21 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think if you have played football at any level, watching him make it look that easy was almost heartbreaking. I think it’s a shame that there are so few managers and coaches out there that can’t build a team around players like him. Let others do the running around and let the opposition worry about him. 
I still laugh at the time on this board when I think he had been involved in something like all but 2 of our 30 odd goals in a season, and people wanted to drop him because we were conceding too many, :)

JET played as a professional like most of us dreamed like playing when we were kicking a tennis ball round a playground. Nothing seemed impossible, so much natural talent,  and a joy to watch, he actually made games exciting, often from out of nothing.

44 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Those were the days I used to read OTIB before I finally plucked up the courage to register 5 years ago.

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think that's the operative words. Personally I think Jet is perhaps regretting his casual approach to the game & not making the most of his undoubtable talent. Be interesting to see what his standards are today. A remarkable player on his day.

Personally Id be delighted to have him back. I am one that fully believes if he is motivated he would be a great player to have. Plus he is only 29.

I think he lost his way for a while. I also think his best time as a footballer was with us. If anyone can bring the best out of him, it is us imo, clearly he wants to come back, and following him, I dunno, I feel like he maybe aware that its last chance saloon coming up. Maybe he is that motivated guy now?

Archived