IGNORED

Do managers consider this?

Matthew me

Wonder if any of the applicants look at the recent history of city managers and consider us to be a nail in the coffin.. it's not great reading....

LJ unemployed

Cotts - unemployed

SOD - league 2 

McInnes - done ok

Millen - nothing to note 

Coppell - finished him off

GJ - never did anything after us

Tinman - never managed again

Wilson - journey man never hit the heights 

Pulis - success!!! But stayed for virtually no time before leaving us

Benny - nightmare during and after 

That takes us back more than two decades!

Are we a graveyard for managers? Or have we just hired managers that weren't good enough???

It's odd that no manager has ever gone on to better things, aside from Pulis. 

We do well with players moving on, managers is a different outcome! 

Hope applicants don't read into this too much and see city as a new animal

16 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Wonder if any of the applicants look at the recent history of city managers and consider us to be a nail in the coffin.. it's not great reading....

LJ unemployed

Cotts - unemployed

SOD - league 2 

McInnes - done ok

Millen - nothing to note 

Are we a graveyard for managers? Or have we just hired managers that weren't good enough???

That makes pretty dismal reading. But didn’t Millen go on to manage Palace in the Prem?

I think it's more that you don't have an excuse when you fail here.

Besides possibly occasional transfer interference, you're given adequate resources and achievable targets here.

So how do you go to another chairman and explain your failure?

I also think there's a lot of bluffers when it comes to football management who just kinda end up in jobs.

2 minutes ago, Prinny said:

I think it's more that you don't have an excuse when you fail here.

Besides possibly occasional transfer interference, you're given adequate resources and achievable targets here.

So how do you go to another chairman and explain your failure?

I also think there's a lot of bluffers when it comes to football management who just kinda end up in jobs.

Fair, but I'd still expect more from the last 20 years.... I think it's telling that managers don't move on...  We've killed a few careers along the way

I know I get slated for saying SL needs experts around him.. but not one of his choices has gone on to bigger things 

45 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

LJ unemployed

Cotts - unemployed

SOD - league 2 

McInnes - done ok

Millen - nothing to note 

GJ went back to Yeovil and got them into the Championship, above us at the time.

LJ has been out of work for a month...

I don't believe prospective managers/head coaches give it a moments thought. They apply for the job because they think they're the person to turn it around or take it to the next step. All managers have egos as you can't exactly be a shrinking violet and be successful. Wasnt it some prat of a journalist who asked Gordan Strachan if he thought he was the man for the job when he was being presented as the new Southampton manager. 

28 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

But aside from Pulis, not one manager has gone on to bigger things. One good season at Yeovil hardly counts

It’s Yeovil, getting them to the championship definitely counts as succeeding

4 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

It was an unbelievable thing for GJ to do. But one season doesn't make a summer.... 

I'm not being negative. Loved GJ.

Just can't see any manager that's left AG in a better position than when they arrived.... Aside from a financial perspective

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Not when you consider what happened afterwards. He put all his eggs in one basket, he closed the Centre of Excellence, he had more loan players than contracted players. He basically took the whole foundations away from that club, their demise back to non league started in the one season they were in the Championship. Simply because he spent all Yeovil’s money for one season of glory, which tu4ned out to be relegation.

I think going back 20 years is misleading in itself. The average managerial life is less than 2 years, so to expect anyone even 10 years ago to be in a managerial job elsewhere is against the grain.

So, I’d argue that you could pick most clubs and do a similar list. And the list ignores that Cotts got another job (at an arguably bigger team in Brum) at this level and it’s his failure there that impacts rather than here. McInnes has turned down Rangers having done well at Aberdeen. Coppell clearly was “gone” before he got here (the fiasco with him coming in late). 

To prove this, let’s take Forest in the last 20 years. See below. You could argue none of those bar Warburton (karanka - just) are in work as managers, and he’s at a lesser club.

So no, I don’t think they do consider it.  It’s the definition of misleading data.

CBD87720-55B6-4683-9D4A-D4ADED1C5E2C.png

2 hours ago, Matthew me said:

LJ unemployed

Cotts - unemployed

SOD - league 2 

McInnes - done ok

Millen - nothing to note 

New Manager looks at money nothing else.

34 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think going back 20 years is misleading in itself. The average managerial life is less than 2 years, so to expect anyone even 10 years ago to be in a managerial job elsewhere is against the grain.

So, I’d argue that you could pick most clubs and do a similar list. And the list ignores that Cotts got another job (at an arguably bigger team in Brum) at this level and it’s his failure there that impacts rather than here. McInnes has turned down Rangers having done well at Aberdeen. Coppell clearly was “gone” before he got here (the fiasco with him coming in late). 

To prove this, let’s take Forest in the last 20 years. See below. You could argue none of those bar Warburton (karanka - just) are in work as managers, and he’s at a lesser club.

So no, I don’t think they do consider it.  It’s the definition of misleading data.

CBD87720-55B6-4683-9D4A-D4ADED1C5E2C.png

Both clubs stuck in the championship.... Both not exactly flying

2 hours ago, Matthew me said:

LJ unemployed

Cotts - unemployed

SOD - league 2 

McInnes - done ok

Millen - nothing to note 

Nah, I reckon they look at the salary offered to them, the transfer budget available to them, and the expectations of the owner - I don’t think they give a flying F about who their predecessors were at Bristol City ... especially when some of the stuff you are highlighting was over 20 years ago ...

53 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

As I said in the post. Done ok

But bigger and better? No

Took Aberdeen from a club that were 8th / 9th in the Scottish Premiership under Craig Brown to winning the Scottish League Cup (Aberdeens first trophy for 19 years) in his first season as well as finishing third in the league and qualifing for the Europa League (Although they have never made it past the qualifiers). Aberdeen then finished 2nd in the league the following four seasons and made both cup finals in 16-17, and the Scottish Cup Final again in 2019.

Yes, I know many will say "but Scottish football is Micky Mouse", but he has done more at Aberdeen than he ever managed here. 

21 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Ok then.

Name me 5 clubs (of the 92), where a greater proportion of managers are currently in better jobs than they were when in that job in the last 20 years.

Off top of my head, very little thought... So don't shoot me down top fast

Wigan

Swansea

Burton 

Blackpool 

Everton ? Moyes...?

Ten seconds of thought!

26 minutes ago, PhilC said:

Took Aberdeen from a club that were 8th / 9th in the Scottish Premiership under Craig Brown to winning the Scottish League Cup (Aberdeens first trophy for 19 years) in his first season as well as finishing third in the league and qualifing for the Europa League (Although they have never made it past the qualifiers). Aberdeen then finished 2nd in the league the following four seasons and made both cup finals in 16-17, and the Scottish Cup Final again in 2019.

Yes, I know many will say "but Scottish football is Micky Mouse", but he has done more at Aberdeen than he ever managed here. 

Totally fair and balanced view. No argument 

1 hour ago, RedHienz said:

John Ward did okay after....

50 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Not really. One season wolves and then fell down the pyramid

I believe RH is talking about the rather splendid job Agent Ward did in his second spell at a little club just up the road

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

Not when you consider what happened afterwards. He put all his eggs in one basket, he closed the Centre of Excellence, he had more loan players than contracted players. He basically took the whole foundations away from that club, their demise back to non league started in the one season they were in the Championship. Simply because he spent all Yeovil’s money for one season of glory, which tu4ned out to be relegation.

Couldn't believe that at the time the centre of excellence could of provided Yeovil will some decent footballing talent which I know there was and to be honest still is.. unbelievable decision.

13 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Off top of my head, very little thought... So don't shoot me down top fast

Wigan - Only Bruce/Martinez

Swansea - Potter, Carvahal, Rodgers, Martinez

Burton - Rowett

Blackpool - Any? 

Everton ? Moyes...? Martinez - for me West Ham atm aren't bigger than Everton were for Moyes.

Ten seconds of thought!

I'm seeing a theme in the above..... Martinez has moved on up

Archived