IGNORED

serious question

Bristolisredd

Something just smells really bad about all this now. Was LJ the only guy that would ever work with Ashton? It appears that no serious contender at the moment wants to touch him with a barge pole.

Maybe it really is a case of certain candidates interviewing us as much as the other way around & they don’t like what they see or hear from our wonderful CEO.

Think the gap between GJ going & Coppell being appointed (not the date when he finally took up the position, that’s a whole other story) was the only one longer than this.

However Millen’s record as caretaker W5 D2 L1 (beat that, Dean Holden) & the fact we were heading into the usual lengthy close season meant there really was no rush then, unlike now.

It’s not the longest yet, as Millen was a caretaker from February to May, but that was to get us to the end of the season. After that Coppell was appointed fairly quickly.

At this rate,  the playoffs (that we missed) will have been completed and we will still won’t have a new manager. That just doesn’t seem right. There is due diligence and then there is dithering. The latter is looking ever more likely....

1 hour ago, Bristolisredd said:

what’s the longest time a club has taken to appoint a manager ?? 

we’ve got to be getting close to beating the record 

Nowhere near, clubs have had caretaker managers in place for long periods of time while making sure they appoint the right person - the panic and doom and gloom merchants on here - it’s just laughable ....

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

Has it been that long?

season ended a couple of weeks ago. 

LJ was sacked 30 days ago. It's all but a month and counting.

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

It’s not the longest yet, as Millen was a caretaker from February to May, but that was to get us to the end of the season. After that Coppell was appointed fairly quickly.

At this rate,  the playoffs (that we missed) will have been completed and we will still won’t have a new manager. That just doesn’t seem right. There is due diligence and then there is dithering. The latter is looking ever more likely....

Mid-March to May, think GJ left/was sacked post Plymouth sometime in mid March. Still not the longest though yep.

1 hour ago, Maltshoveller said:

Better it takes ages and get it right

than

2mins and get it wrong 

Sure but pre season is (I think) but a week away from beginning. Season itself weekend of September 12th- would've been worse had it been the other date! Date B) was August 29th weekend.

I assumed that part the reason for getting rid of LJ was to get someone in place by the end of the season and perhaps at most a month.

40 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Nowhere near, clubs have had caretaker managers in place for long periods of time while making sure they appoint the right person - the panic and doom and gloom merchants on here - it’s just laughable ....

See above. 

This season is about 8 months and once international breaks and an FA Cup weekend kicks in it'll be 7.

We could be playing catch-up from the get go! This season will be a sprint. 46 games plus a bare minimum of 2 Cup games between weekend of September 12th 2020 and May 8th/9th 2021.

3 International breaks. One weekend given over to FA Cup.

This season will be a sprint! A real sprint, you think having no manager with players out of contract, a lot of players expiring in summer 2021, recruitment to sort, transfer decisions.

It is such a packed schedule, do we think having no manager stands us in good stead?

I should also add, there has to at least be a reasonable risk- IMO- of a wasted/lost season if it drags much longer.

Much to decide, condensed schedule- these International breaks will see more cramming still!

I've had a quick look- fill your boots, use at your leisure but I make it a mere 35 weekend slots- that'd be 11 midweek to fit in!

Then throw in 3 international breaks and 1 FA Cup weekend- that's 1 in 3 games midweek!

Then factor in a MINIMUM of one League Cup midweek game, that's squeezing it up a bit.

International breaks tend to be a fortnight in practice ie game, nothing much, then a fortnight on give or take, game 2. Because they also incorporate midweek games.

10 hours ago, Cardy said:

Something just smells really bad about all this now. Was LJ the only guy that would ever work with Ashton? It appears that no serious contender at the moment wants to touch him with a barge pole.

Maybe it really is a case of certain candidates interviewing us as much as the other way around & they don’t like what they see or hear from our wonderful CEO.

If anything ‘smells really bad’ about the whole managerial scenario it won’t be working with MA it’ll be the strategy laid  by SL.

I imagine that several potential candidates wouldn’t be happy about having to sell all thier better players but at the same be expected to reach the PL..,,,,sounds like “cake and eat it”................:cool2:

Lots of staff are being made redundant, yes like other places outside BS their jobs cannot be done at the moment and don’t look like returning soon. It might be very hard for the club to justify a big name manager with talks of a million pound contract when staff are being shown the door.

I’m not debating the rights and wrongs of this, just think the club might be holding off to save money (already saved a months salary) and perhaps to avoid a bit of bad publicity due to the sensitivity of the current climate. And yes obviously to get the right person in place.

That said, yes I know they can’t hold off forever.

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

If anything ‘smells really bad’ about the whole managerial scenario it won’t be working with MA it’ll be the strategy laid  by SL.

I imagine that several potential candidates wouldn’t be happy about having to sell all thier better players but at the same be expected to reach the PL..,,,,sounds like “cake and eat it”................:cool2:

Another way of looking at it though Robbored, is that managers, traditional managers or the like, or ones that like to spend some might see their opportunities dry up as FFP starts to bite or if this much vaunted Championship salary cap comes in as its replacement.

What I'm suggesting is that not now, not next year but and it's already started IMO, these managers will need to adapt, accept new structures, new financial constraints or see their opportunities dry right up!

Think we're already seeing it or signs of it anyway, but on current trends it may well only increase.

Combine this with the fact that this League is increasingly a selling one. Managers may need to adapt to this reality.

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

This comment may not age very well if some if the rumours are true.  MA could be the big stumbling block....but we will have to wait and see,,

it is possible to sell good, and recruit better.

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

it is possible to sell good, and recruit better.

It sure is and LJ did just that when he signed Webster, Massengo and Nagy  but those three apart I can’t think of any other players that improved the team signed by LJ.

30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It sure is and LJ did just that when he signed Webster, Massengo and Nagy  but those three apart I can’t think of any other players that improved the team signed by LJ.

That’s the point I’m making, there are candidates out there that can sell their better players, and replace them well.

MA and LJ as a “team” didn’t do that well enough.

We are agreeing, I think.

5 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

It would be easier if the club knew its budget.

Anyone got any idea yet if there will be any ticket sales next season? I don't, the club don't.

I would imagine the club have forecast a series of models based on likelihood of crowds returning and in what numbers and when, plus all manner of other things like season card refunds, etc.  That budget will be regularly reviewed.  As it stands current transfer window finishes in October...it’s quite possible that the next one opens on its usual 1st Jan date, so we can react to any changes then.

21 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

35 days between GJ leaving & Coppell being hired.

Johnson was sacked 31 days ago. 

Maybe it's just a Johnson thing then. The office smell of a Johnson takes time to remove. I see the Rentokil van has been in and out of AG a lot. 

7 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

It would be easier if the club knew its budget.

I am sure it does.

Perhaps in all seriousness the target has been identified, a deal has, in principle, been agreed but the compensation figure or the lockdown prevents the candidate flying in. 

Therefore a rumour put out via Gregor which may only be a temporary caretaker role for Holden is insurance in case that deal drags on. 

• The title was changed to serious question

Archived