IGNORED

Losing Interest.

Jeez

With a prolonged managerial appointment, very low possibility of watching a live match anytime, huge gap from the last game watched and a lack of any meaningful communication from the club.

Do you think this opens up a risk of fans losing interest?

The club has done so well increase attendances and engagement but are they running the risk of going backwards?

I think the longer grounds stay closed, the bigger the long term impact will be on many clubs including City. 

As for City, it feels more and more (to me) like you’re watching some else’s business than our football club. Engagement between fans (well customers) and larger football clubs seems to be getting lower all the time. 

8 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

With a prolonged managerial appointment, very low possibility of watching a live match anytime, huge gap from the last game watched and a lack of any meaningful communication from the club.

The club has done so well increase attendances and engagement but are they running the risk of going backwards?

Judging by the traffic on OTIB I don’t think people are ‘ losing interest ‘.

There is more danger that the supporters are priced out of attending live matches if attendances are reduced in grounds. 

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Don't think so. I bet people can't wait to get back to normality that is going down Ashton Gate with their mates or family.

Agreed, provided we're not playing horribly they'll be a bounceback of higher attendances - similar to how pubs/restaurants/cafes have been busier since reopening. 

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Don't think so. I bet people can't wait to get back to normality that is going down Ashton Gate with their mates or family.

Yes, but the point is that people may be losing interest in the meantime, given that there is no certainty when we will return to ‘normality’.  Even if they don’t lose interest, many people’s interaction with football may have changed as they get used to the ‘new normal’.  I couldn’t bear matches without crowds when they started being shown on tv; now I hardly notice that the crowd isn’t there.  It’s surprising how easy it is to get used to a new reality.

City (and all clubs) need to work very hard to maintain interest.  Having a website where the lead story doesn’t change for five days is not a good sign...

17 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

I could have logged into OTIB four weeks ago, gone to the moon for a month and logged in again upon my return and nothing has changed. 

Basically have wasted all that time with my obsessive checking in in the vain hope of some news.

1 minute ago, Top Robin said:

I could have logged into OTIB four weeks ago, gone to the moon for a month and logged in again upon my return and nothing has changed. 

Basically have wasted all that time with my obsessive checking in the vain hope of some news.

Ah but how long does a flight to the moon take...?

Just now, milo1111 said:

I’m worried they are dragging it out and dripping in snippets about Holden. Like they did the last time with appointing Johnson.

they know plenty of fans will be underwhelmed and it’s all part of managing that.

'underwhelmed'!.... I'd be livid!!!

It is interesting to reflect on the number of times in the day when we think about Bristol City - in my case it runs into hundreds. Some on this forum appear to spend all their time thinking of nothing else. Many turn their energy into becoming severe critics of every aspect of the club - but they are still thinking of Bristol City.  Things will return to normal one day and I hope that we will all be back at the Gate sooner rather than later.  The product on the pitch may vary but we will still hope for better with all our energy and theorise how things might improve.  Interest is still sky high here!

Sadly if there is an appointment of Holden, I most likely won't be returning if fans can return next season. I can't see how it would be a change from LJ in all honesty and I was fed up of his football for the past 2 years, never left home games early in my life but left early 3 times this season alone. 

I'm surely not alone in worrying about next season if we have Holden and current squad

I'll never lose interest in supporting City, thick or thin.

But it's been more than a fortnight since I paid any real attention to the manager search. The progress is so slow, I'll only become interested once a new manager is actually appointed. Before then it seems to just be baseless speculation and the absence of any real substance is just dull after a while.

It really does feel like we're at a major crossroads here - appoint Holden and alienate 97% of the fans who feel lied to, appoint Hughton and unite 99% of the fans behind the goal of promotion to the PL, appoint Cook and unite 75% of the fans because he's better than LJ. If, as seems eminently possible, Holden is the new manager, I can see a significant loss in fans' interest. 

The posts indicate that there is no lack of interest.

What is apparent, people are getting frustrated with how long the manager selection is taking, and too top it off, some of the candidates appear to be 'underwhelming'.

Maybe a better question is: Will the wait be worth it?

I don't think it'll have any effect on the hardcore of fans including everyone on here, but I do think it will effect those on the periphery, for example, those who don't go to every game and generally go with mates when there's a big or attractive game on. I know several guys who are just that, hardened city fans in their teens and early twenties but then got married and had this particular avenue of pleasure closed off to them!! Everyone on here holds the club dear and close to their hearts and its hard to imagine any fan not doing so. There's always a contingent who can take it or leave it and yes, I do think a small number will drift off back to the premier league clubs they supported previously. In not engaging with us about current matters they do risk an ebbing away of support. I'm not saying they should give us chapter and verse on who they're talking to, but a message from SL staing all the obvious things would have at least reassured us and maintained a line of communication. To basically ignore your regular 21k customers is pretty poor. It doesn't really cost much to issue regular updates even if it's only to say what we already think is happening. I keep all my team at work updated on everything, mostly because I like to keep the lines of communication open. If you don't then people will drift away.

In all honesty, yes I have started to lose interest. I was checking the forum probably 20 times a day (not sure if I’m normal) and now just once. Seeing “Hot” topics used to make me think something is happening but it’s usually just bread puns! I think it will perk up once we appoint Paul Cook ( not itk just a feeling) we can move on preparing for next season with a solid manager.

28 minutes ago, Spike said:

I'm still interested right now, should Holden be given the job I can honestly say I think I'll probably lose a lot of interest, possibly to the point where I'll find something to do other than watch the football. 

I'm with you on this Spike. OK we still don't know what is going on behind the scenes but it's looking very likely IMO that it's not City turning down the candidates, it's them turning us down because of most likely too much interfering from above.

Instead of just saying here you go Mr Hughton, get on with the job at hand and let us know if you have any issues.

When SL/JL/MA etc say that they want Premiership football, fine, but don't throw a spanner in the works to put off people that could get us there! Anyway I know nothing, so that's just my opinion, we may be presently surprised, but I'm not holding my breath.

1 minute ago, RUSSEL85 said:

In all honesty, yes I have started to lose interest. I was checking the forum probably 20 times a day (not sure if I’m normal) and now just once. Seeing “Hot” topics used to make me think something is happening but it’s usually just bread puns! I think it will perk up once we appoint Paul Cook ( not itk just a feeling) we can move on preparing for next season with a solid manager.

Rookie numbers. You got to get those digits up.

49 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

Short answer is yes.

Without a vaccine for the virus, I won't be there anyway.

With virus, do I still want to come to City? After two years of utter tripe, no.

With a new manager? Depends on who they get. Hughton standard - yes. Holden or similar? No.

The new season should just about to be starting and we all should be buzzing. I just feel so bored and deflated. Not getting to games makes it all seem pointless. It's a spectator sport ffs! Plus the silence from the club is deafening.

I think the football bubble that has been inflating for 30 years or so is about to burst or at least get smaller. With an economic depression and a second wave on the cards as soon as flu season kicks off I don't think the club can go around making many transfers to excite supporters, we will be doing well just to get players playing and next season completed on schedule. As for fans back into stadiums I have my doubts that will be happening anytime soon. Depressing I know but I still enjoy the goings on at BCFC for a bit of entertainment and escapism.

Archived