IGNORED

Losing Interest.

Jeez

I think the longer the restrictions go on the more fans will stay away. All of a sudden you find something else to do on a Saturday. People will also realise how much it costs to go to football and what they could do with that time & money.

Die hard fans will always go and the gate will be packed for the "BIG" games but the casual fans wont turn up on a wet/cold Tuesday to watch Stoke for example.

1 hour ago, Phillythe kid said:

I don't think it'll have any effect on the hardcore of fans including everyone on here, but I do think it will effect those on the periphery, for example, those who don't go to every game and generally go with mates when there's a big or attractive game on. I know several guys who are just that, hardened city fans in their teens and early twenties but then got married and had this particular avenue of pleasure closed off to them!! Everyone on here holds the club dear and close to their hearts and its hard to imagine any fan not doing so. There's always a contingent who can take it or leave it and yes, I do think a small number will drift off back to the premier league clubs they supported previously. In not engaging with us about current matters they do risk an ebbing away of support. I'm not saying they should give us chapter and verse on who they're talking to, but a message from SL staing all the obvious things would have at least reassured us and maintained a line of communication. To basically ignore your regular 21k customers is pretty poor. It doesn't really cost much to issue regular updates even if it's only to say what we already think is happening. I keep all my team at work updated on everything, mostly because I like to keep the lines of communication open. If you don't then people will drift away.

I'm not so sure - there must be ST holders who attended every game for years but are now finding other interests & who may re-consider renewing

You're right about the clubs communication to fans, I don't expect the inside edge on recruitment but why are we not hearing from the MA, DH, JM, JL, SL - any other business in current times are bending over backwards to keep their customer based on board. Doesn't have to be feature length, little & often would do the trick.

The club might just struggling to figure out which path to take but whatever direction they still have to fill the void in communications & I don't mean competition time with Downsy. 

1 hour ago, RUSSEL85 said:

In all honesty, yes I have started to lose interest. I was checking the forum probably 20 times a day (not sure if I’m normal) and now just once. Seeing “Hot” topics used to make me think something is happening but it’s usually just bread puns! I think it will perk up once we appoint Paul Cook ( not itk just a feeling) we can move on preparing for next season with a solid manager.

Hot?

Cross ?

Puns ??‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

If we get a big name and have a good start, the wait will be considered worth it.... 

If it's Holden and we get endless drivel from MA about him being the outstanding choice etc.... I fear it will turn toxic quickly

This is why it's taking so long MA is working on a excuse to why hes hired Holden as manager,Just making sure the detail is right before the big announcement ?

Anyone who thinks appointing Holden wouldn’t have a significant impact is seriously deluded.

The gap between football coming back and fans being able to watch is only going to lengthen looking at the medical evidence, so an appointment like that will see significant numbers drift away, not some of those on here but a good proportion of the fan base.

I decided prior to the lock down that I would not be renewing. Two years of sterile football and restrictions on parking was the last straw for me after many years of being a season card holder. Lock down has simply reinforced my resolve. I have not missed football in the slightest, to such an extent that I could not even be bothered to watch the bcfc live games via the net. I think quite a few will have found other interests and will not bother renewing. Even my visits onto this forum have plummeted. Still be looking out for results though.

4 hours ago, Red Alert said:

With a prolonged managerial appointment, very low possibility of watching a live match anytime, huge gap from the last game watched and a lack of any meaningful communication from the club.

Do you think this opens up a risk of fans losing interest?

The club has done so well increase attendances and engagement but are they running the risk of going backwards?

You forgot to add the very disappointing end to the season to go along with all the other disappointing ends of the last couple of seasons you're right though I think unless the club are not careful the players could be running out to a half empty stadium (and not just because of social distancing). 

3 hours ago, Sniper said:

I'm with you on this Spike. OK we still don't know what is going on behind the scenes but it's looking very likely IMO that it's not City turning down the candidates, it's them turning us down because of most likely too much interfering from above.

Instead of just saying here you go Mr Hughton, get on with the job at hand and let us know if you have any issues.

When SL/JL/MA etc say that they want Premiership football, fine, but don't throw a spanner in the works to put off people that could get us there! Anyway I know nothing, so that's just my opinion, we may be presently surprised, but I'm not holding my breath.

Whilst everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

You say we don't know what's going on behind the scenes then you say (in your opinion) we could be being turned down by candidates.

We could have begged CH (or anyone else) to take the job, but they have declined, we just don't know. I wouldn't expect the club to issue a statement every time someone is offered the role but turns declines it.

Anything is still possible.

I think the whole manager situation has shown that many fans will only support the club if they like the manager who is in charge. Many fans (even in this thread) saying they won't support the club any more if Holden is made manager is testament to this.

Why anyone would be 'livid' that Holden is appointed is beyond me. It's not the ideal choice, its probably not in the top 10 ideal choices, but for the amount of comments sarcastically claiming we are no longer fans but customers and are treated as such, then complaining that they pay their money to watch so demand better is such contradicting statement.

Just fed up with it now, nearly 5 weeks down the line and no new manager, new season starts in 5 weeks so not much time to evaluate the squad fully and implement any transfer plans...I am a glass half full type of guy but just haven’t got an excited feeling about next season.

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Short answer is yes.

Without a vaccine for the virus, I won't be there anyway.

With virus, do I still want to come to City? After two years of utter tripe, no.

With a new manager? Depends on who they get. Hughton standard - yes. Holden or similar? No.

Colin, like a lot of us older supporters, we have watched City since we were little scrappers with holes in our short pants. We have endured so much BS coming out of the ground since the reign of the late and great HD that we are worldly wise now to the spin we have got over the last few years , especially recently from the suited and booted man. It seems as though they are just arrogant and since having Bristol Bears in what was OUR GROUND they treat us all like mushrooms because they think we will keep spending our money because we are Red till we're dead !! I personally think that this is their big chance to give us fans the step up to the Prem ( and God knows even SL is in our age bracket with the finishing line getting nearer and nearer !!) that this City needs. It is down to them but I am not getting excited. Soon we will be put out of our misery with a first class appointment - We hope.

3 hours ago, bris red said:

I won’t be returning if we appoint Holden. The club will send out a crystal clear message by appointing him and my reaction will be to vote with my feet unfortunately.

I find this bizarre. I don’t want Holden but that wouldn’t stop me watching city. Give him a chance if it is him. I would be underwhelming yes - but to give up on the club is a massive overreaction

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Anyone who thinks appointing Holden wouldn’t have a significant impact is seriously deluded.

The gap between football coming back and fans being able to watch is only going to lengthen looking at the medical evidence, so an appointment like that will see significant numbers drift away, not some of those on here but a good proportion of the fan base.

? Spot on Graham

When you consider the dire football served up at the gate for the last 2 years, how on earth can we think that our ownership care about the product or the fans.

I think that SL has worked out that by being in the championship we will average around 20,000 and he knows exactly what his outgoings are. Loses are manageable.

The difference between this model and the model seriously targeting promotion would probably see crowds average 25,000 and expenses would go through the roof.

All fine if we get promoted but if not we would be heading for a show down with the financial fair play folks.

This is a catch 22 and until parachute payments are thrown out and a salary cap is put in place this will remain so. There will always be the odd owner who is prepared to throw the dice risk everything on one season. I think this is not the way for us. I would be happy next year if we appoint a positive coach and are actually entertained and ocassionally excited once or twice next season.

5 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

When you consider the dire football served up at the gate for the last 2 years, how on earth can we think that our ownership care about the product or the fans.

I think that SL has worked out that by being in the championship we will average around 20,000 and he knows exactly what his outgoings are. Loses are manageable.

The difference between this model and the model seriously targeting promotion would probably see crowds average 25,000 and expenses would go through the roof.

All fine if we get promoted but if not we would be heading for a show down with the financial fair play folks.

This is a catch 22 and until parachute payments are thrown out and a salary cap is put in place this will remain so. There will always be the odd owner who is prepared to throw the dice risk everything on one season. I think this is not the way for us. I would be happy next year if we appoint a positive coach and are actually entertained and ocassionally excited once or twice next season.

I’m not so sure there will be 20,000 fans. That model was pre COVID. I think the model needs to be rethought , might get an average 15,000 now . Need to have details of the clubs intentions for next season, announcing the new Head Coach (whoever it may be) would be a good start.

2 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Your paragraph about SL and the finances could be spot on. When we got promoted to the Championship I remember SL at a Senior Reds dinner saying he was surprised at the wage demands and transfer costs on the Championship. If he thinks its expensive here , he's in for a real shock if we do go up. Even 100 million +  dont go far in the Prem. Maybe it's a step to far for him. I admire what he's done for this club but to say we want a manager to take us to the next level, then appoint Holden, an assistant to a man you've just sacked, (if that's who he does appoint) to do the job  , just seems like desperation or the cheap option to me.

I just wish we had a system in the England like they have in Germany. Whereby the fans own a percentage of each club. 

The club just feels so disconnected and out of touch with the fans.

From poor communication, to keeping a anniversary shirt no one liked and charging 65 quid for a hoody in these times. 

If they appoint Holden I think fans need to at least consider a boycott of some kind. It's the only way someone like SL would start to listen I feel. 

10 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

I just wish we had a system in the England like they have in Germany. Whereby the fans own a percentage of each club. 

The club just feels so disconnected and out of touch with the fans.

From poor communication, to keeping a anniversary shirt no one liked and charging 65 quid for a hoody in these times. 

If they appoint Holden I think fans need to at least consider a boycott of some kind. It's the only way someone like SL would start to listen I feel. 

I think there will be a large involuntary boycott for the foreseeable.  But you are so right about the club today and its relationship with the supporters. Whoever is in charge of PR is being overpaid. Even if they are doing it for nothing!!

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I agree to a large extent Graham.

In a few weeks time, the club are going to have to announce proposals for Robinstv subscription as some form of alternative to the pro-rata season ticket for games we cannot attend.

Watching it on tv is no substitute for going to AG (or away).  Let’s ignore value of that offering for the mo’, as we all have different views on what it should cost as an alternative.

If Holden is announced I agree, some / many (who knows) fans will decide to vote with their wallet.  That’s even less income that I estimate we will lose anyway.

If Hughton is announced, then the fan base will be generally happy.

Surely the club have considered this.

Season Cards account for £3.5-4.0m of our revenue.  A slug of that will lost if fans can’t return.  Starting with a new income figure I don’t see it unreasonable to think the differential of lost income from Holden to Hughton on top of the initial loss would be another £500k.

Surely the club in its stable position can see the knock on effect.

But I don’t think it’s about money, it’s about control / ego.  If you were CH might you have got hold of LJ’s telephone number and asked him for some info?

3 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I find this bizarre. I don’t want Holden but that wouldn’t stop me watching city. Give him a chance if it is him. I would be underwhelming yes - but to give up on the club is a massive overreaction

Nor me, but I think me are in an OTIB minority.

3 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Another season or two in the same mould of the dire home performances we've had under Johnson and they'll be lucky to have ten thousand for League One games!

We have an outstanding opportunity to grow into serious promotion candidates. Are we going to grab it or not.

9 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Short answer is yes.

Without a vaccine for the virus, I won't be there anyway.

With virus, do I still want to come to City? After two years of utter tripe, no.

With a new manager? Depends on who they get. Hughton standard - yes. Holden or similar? No.

same here 60 years falling out of love now .

8 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

Think a lot of fans are losing interest. It’s only the conversations on OTIB that are sparking any lingering interest. 

I love Bristol City, always will, but after 40 years and (I guess) thousands of games I haven’t been now for two years. LJ killed all my enthusiasm of wanting to watch my team play. 

Ive found non league football a far more enjoyable place to spend my time watching live games.

Once you lose interest and find something else better to watch, that’s it, you don’t go back. This whole soap opera over the last few weeks seem to now sum the club up. If there is any truth in DH becoming the manager I find it comical. Not because DH isn’t a good man, I’m sure he is. But how can a chairman go from being willing to pay out millions for Steven Gerrard, to then name the number 2 of the previous incumbent as manager.

I am totally confused and bemused by what the club are potentially doing, and I don’t go anymore!!. People who still follow the club all over the country must be pulling their hair out. We have done this with Tinnion and Millen, it never worked, why would SL go down the same route again.

Baffling ?

12 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I love Bristol City, always will, but after 40 years and (I guess) thousands of games I haven’t been now for two years. LJ killed all my enthusiasm of wanting to watch my team play. 

Ive found non league football a far more enjoyable place to spend my time watching live games.

Once you lose interest and find something else better to watch, that’s it, you don’t go back. This whole soap opera over the last few weeks seem to now sum the club up. If there is any truth in DH becoming the manager I find it comical. Not because DH isn’t a good man, I’m sure he is. But how can a chairman go from being willing to pay out millions for Steven Gerrard, to then name the number 2 of the previous incumbent as manager.

I am totally confused and bemused by what the club are potentially doing, and I don’t go anymore!!. People who still follow the club all over the country must be pulling their hair out. We have done this with Tinnion and Millen, it never worked, why would SL go down the same route again.

Baffling ?

Excellent post Bill. Spot on.

6 hours ago, grifty said:

Why anyone would be 'livid' that Holden is appointed is beyond me. It's not the ideal choice, its probably not in the top 10 ideal choices, but for the amount of comments sarcastically claiming we are no longer fans but customers and are treated as such, then complaining that they pay their money to watch so demand better is such contradicting statement.

Because such an appointment would be totally contrary to what MA and SL said following the sacking of Lee Johnson.  We were promised an exciting appointment to take the club to the next level and instead we end up with LJ’s assistant.When fans are lied to and deceived they have every right to be livid.

After listening to MA interview on Twentyman and his attitude towards us it’s definitely pushing me another step further away from the club.

For somebody who says let’s be clear too much he offer such little clarity and zero respect to fans.

Archived