IGNORED

Drinking within sight of the pitch

Bristol Rob

About time in some sense.. but having been to the egg chasing I found it infuriating the amount of times people would want to get up, get drink, then have a piss and so forth.

While there's a small crowd I could understand to discourage people congregating in the concourse but when full capacity is back I don't think I'd want the rule allowed, drunk guys trying to bring 4 pints back to their seats for their mates will probably end up with loads of pints being spilled, easier at cricket because the gap between rows of seats is bigger, similarly when goals are scored I expect pints to get chucked in the air all over the place. Will be so much more disruption from people in your row/row in front etc getting up and coming back. Its 90 minutes how hard is it to not have a drink? There's the opportunity at half time for one as well.

My view is that things are fine as they are, but equally I can see the logic in having less of a half time rush.

It would probably work if the bars were opened 5 minutes before and after half time, giving people an opportunity to get a pint and finish it whilst watching the game, but there will be those who would otherwise drink constantly and then get over excited and throw beer everywhere if we get a consolation goal late in the game and claim it adds to the atmosphere 

Must confess this seems an odd topic right now. No fans in stadia, looking at maximum 25% with huge social distancing measure, so at a guess, allowing drinking during games will be very low priority.

Happy as it is, if you can’t go 90 minutes without a drink you have a serious problem

13 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

My view is that things are fine as they are, but equally I can see the logic in having less of a half time rush.

It would probably work if the bars were opened 5 minutes before and after half time, giving people an opportunity to get a pint and finish it whilst watching the game, but there will be those who would otherwise drink constantly and then get over excited and throw beer everywhere if we get a consolation goal late in the game and claim it adds to the atmosphere 

The bar is open all game as far as I know. Haven't you seen the concourse loyal?

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Must confess this seems an odd topic right now. No fans in stadia, looking at maximum 25% with huge social distancing measure, so at a guess, allowing drinking during games will be very low priority.

Happy as it is, if you can’t go 90 minutes without a drink you have a serious problem

Watching City sober the past few seasons has been a serious problem

Regarding the Egg Chasing fan experience, keep in mind that Rugby is much more "stop / start" than Footy. The pace of the game means that more often than not you can leave your seat, have a pee, buy a drink and get back without missing too much. In football, you couldn't really do that too often without missing something. 

The big worry for me with drinking in the stands would be the number of people who would launch their pints in the air every time we score. It started being a thing during the World Cup coverage with each fanzone appearing on TV trying to launch the most ale. 

Getting drenched in a shower of Butcombe or Thatchers would not be ideal. 

Other than getting showered in drink, I don't think there'd be too many problems. If anything it could slow down the amount people drink because there would be less need to pack them in before going to your seat. 

Even more ironically, if we switched to rail seating it could make access I'm and out of the stands more easy and cause less disruption. 

For high risk games the ban could be re-applied if there were any concerns.

I occasionally watch rugby and people wandering in and out to get beer are a real pain. It’s bad enough now at football when people go in and out during the match as they’ve had a few and can’t last till half time without having a pee.  I like a pint but I can last for 45 minutes without one. 

2 hours ago, Chappers said:

It’s a way to stop a half time rush to the concourse, ease queueing and thus help social distancing. Makes perfect sense in my book. The less people indoors at one time the better. 

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

I occasionally watch rugby and people wandering in and out to get beer are a real pain. It’s bad enough now at football when people go in and out during the match as they’ve had a few and can’t last till half time without having a pee.  I like a pint but I can last for 45 minutes without one. 

Rugby fans have no excuse.  Do it when there's a scrum.  They take 5 minutes pissing around.  An ideal time to pop out to top up your glass.

This is all a strong argument for standing btw..

Can’t see past the fact that some people will find it hilarious to chuck pints around when we score - ruining the experience for most, especially kids and the elderly. If they allow this, there needs to be some sort of law that if you caught throwing pints around that you get a stadium ban for x number of years - if that doesn’t deter people then it will just be the idiots getting banned which will benefit everyone.

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Can football fans be trusted? I don’t know. I know that most can, but the minority will always ruin things for the majority. 

Is football ready? I honestly don’t know. 

It will end in tears. And a flurry of spittle and droplets and spilt pints and the transmission of all manner of unpleasantness, and worse, as the usual aerosols display their wobbly, bottom-lip insecurity and traumatic early life experiences for all to see and steer well clear of.

Can't wait!

6 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

My understanding is that this is something that clubs are pushing for in order to boost their revenues while crowds are capped at reduced numbers. The plan is apparently to bring this in from October.

58 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

With reduced crowds & income it will be our DUTY to have a few beers and a pie at any game we are lucky enough to attend! 

See. Obvious innit. 

Is good news in general, think it's an outdated and stupid rule myself.

However during an uncertain period, in which a 2nd wave may or may not be on the cards, I cannot help but think right idea wrong time!

Surely fans returning would need to be wearing masks- catering outlets open at the ground would risk asymptomatic spread even with queuing- suppose the bigger the concourse, the more the risk can be thinned out.

Is there a Doctor in the house- @Dr Balls ?  Doesn't seem a fantastic idea to me at this time, not the rescinding of the rule itself but in this context, at this time- well commercially yes but beyond that...?

When people drink they become less inhibited. When they become less inhibited social distancing and precautionary/preventative measures can breakdown, thereby risking further spread.

7 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Can football fans be trusted? I don’t know. I know that most can, but the minority will always ruin things for the majority. 

Is football ready? I honestly don’t know. 

That’s the issue. There’s a small minority of fans who, if given an inch, take a yard. 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is good news in general, think it's an outdated and stupid rule myself.

However during an uncertain period, in which a 2nd wave may or may not be on the cards, I cannot help but think right idea wrong time!

Surely fans returning would need to be wearing masks- catering outlets open at the ground would risk asymptomatic spread even with queuing- suppose the bigger the concourse, the more the risk can be thinned out.

Is there a Doctor in the house- @Dr Balls ?  Doesn't seem a fantastic idea to me at this time, not the rescinding of the rule itself but in this context, at this time- well commercially yes but beyond that...?

When people drink they become less inhibited. When they become less inhibited social distancing and precautionary/preventative measures can breakdown, thereby risking further spread.

I think that it’s a recipe for disaster tbh for all of the reasons stated by others, plus the risk of spread through not wearing masks, less inhibited people not socially distancing properly etc.

What happens when we score and someone has had a few too many? Hugging the person next to them and shouting over them? No thanks. 

Having beer or cider thrown over me would be the least of my worries in those circumstances. At least it would wash out!

Archived