IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have a confession – I’ve been a voyeur on this Forum, reading 

the comments on here and scared of making any comments myself 

due to the habit of members insulting each other & I certainly don’t 

want to to offend anyone.

Why Dean? My heart wants Chris Hughton but my head say’s Dean.

I believe LJ should have gone back in February, the football being 

absolutely dire & the first time in nearly 50 years of supporting the City 

I found myself walking away from the Gate 20 mins before the final whistle.

However, we are where we are.

Under normal circumstances, Yes Chris Hughton would be ideal but these are no normal circumstances.

Due to COVID, the club are letting 40 staff go, a third of the total workforce.

Add to that the possibility of no FANS being allowed in the ground for say,

the complete 20-21 Season, then a lot of clubs are going to be under extreme 

Financial pressure.  

It would be insensitive of the Club, I believe to award a multi-million £ contract 

to a new head Coach. I guess they realise that.

Add to the fact Dean had the team playing in a much more attacking way during the last few games & was we all agree I think, a much more enjoyable watch, then yes under the current climate he deserves a crack of the whip.

The ‘Cheap Option’?  Maybe yes and it carries risk but so would the appointment of Chris Hughton as any financial advisor would tell you when buying shares, past performance is not necessarily indicative of future performance.

1 hour ago, Bcfcbackwell said:

Under normal circumstances, Yes Chris Hughton would be ideal but these are no normal circumstances.

Financial pressure.  

It would be insensitive of the Club, I believe to award a multi-million £ contract 

Add to the fact Dean had the team playing in a much more attacking way during the last few games & was we all agree I think, a much more enjoyable watch, then yes under the current climate he deserves a crack of the whip.

The ‘Cheap Option’?  Maybe yes and it carries risk but so would the appointment of Chris Hughton as any financial advisor would tell you when buying shares, past performance is not necessarily indicative of future performance.

Good points and i think the financial circumstances can’t be under estimated. It would be a huge risk to appoint Holden , as much as finances may come into play , relegation for any club in current circumstances would cause huge ramifications 

I get the point about insensitivity.

But equally you could argue that employing someone with the necessary talents and skills to grow the business, make it profitable and ultimately employ more people, is a justifiable reason to spend a substantial sum of money on them.

Regrettable though the redundancies are, they cannot be used as a reason to compromise the future progress of the club, which is in everyone’s interest.

I don’t mean that to sound callous and I feel very sorry for anyone who lost their job, especially at a time like this.

1 hour ago, Bcfcbackwell said:

Aren’t the redundancies from Ashton Gate Ltd - ie the stadium company - as a direct result of the lack of events, conferences, weddings and the like as a result of the crisis? So not really a BCFC thing in that respect. 

Finance is always a consideration but has SL got a short term or long term view? If it’s short term then Dean Holden might make sense.  If it’s long term - ie promotion to the Premier League - then I don’t believe Dean Holden makes any sense. I can’t predict the future but in my opinion, with him, it will be a couple more years just missing out and, the sack and we start this process all over again 

2 hours ago, Bcfcbackwell said:

Financial pressure.  

Thanks for that Dean 

While there is almost always a cheap option, the phrase my dad taught me was that if you can afford it, “you need to speculate to accumulate“. SL has done that his whole life, otherwise he wouldn’t be able to bankroll the club now. There is a risk that we might shell out on a coach who doesn’t get us promotion, but compared to players’ wages, it’s not that big an outlay, most don’t require a transfer fee, and if you get the contract right, then you may not be left out of pocket.

So having stuck with LJ for a long time, SL now needs to twist with a new coach from outside the previous coaching structure. Things need shaking up a bit, players need to be challenged, and the club needs to go forward. Does that make up for the jobs lost from AG? No. But should we get to the Premier League and fans are allowed back into the ground for the 21/22 season, then Bristol Sport will look to hire more staff again. That’s actually the best option for everyone.

2 hours ago, Bcfcbackwell said:

Financial pressure.  

Spot on, at the moment it would definitely be the most sensible option, as the survival of the Club must be top priority right now. 

1 minute ago, Dr Balls said:

While there is almost always a cheap option, the phrase my dad taught me was that if you can afford it, “you need to speculate to accumulate“. SL has done that his whole life, otherwise he wouldn’t be able to bankroll the club now. There is a risk that we might shell out on a coach who doesn’t get us promotion, but compared to players’ wages, it’s not that big an outlay, most don’t require a transfer fee, and if you get the contract right, then you may not be left out of pocket.

So having stuck with LJ for a long time, SL now needs to twist with a new coach from outside the previous coaching structure. Things need shaking up a bit, players need to be challenged, and the club needs to go forward. Does that make up for the jobs lost from AG? No. But should we get to the Premier League and fans are allowed back into the ground for the 21/22 season, then Bristol Sport will look to hire more staff again. That’s actually the best option for everyone.

And what happens if we don’t get to the PL?

I don’t think waiting this long to appoint Holden cannot be justified in any way, shape or form. You also cannot judge an inexperienced manager on five games, with the pressure off, in empty stadiums. To add to the mix, who would Holden turn to for advice if it goes wrong? The man he replaced? Bad idea, big risk, and asking for trouble IMO. 

11 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Spot on, at the moment it would definitely be the most sensible option, as the survival of the Club must be top priority right now. 

If you don’t try, then you will never achieve.

Financially this league is a basket case. To make money and cover your costs you have to get to the Premier League.

The only other option that makes financial sense is to be Rotherham and bounce between the Championship and League 1, but spend next to nothing when you get promoted, get relegated, keep your manager, get promoted again and hope that eventually you establish yourself at this level, but not bother about going for the Premier League. Norwich have essentially done the same this year in the Premier League, except that they get the added bonus of some parachute payments to help them for next season back in the Championship.

2 minutes ago, Chappers said:

This ridiculous month long charade has nothing to do with the survival of the club , it’s about self important people making making a pigs ear of the process , Holden would be disastrous appointment on so many levels , the fans will feel betrayed , this was and still may be our big chance to get it right ,  a coach with no experience except for a crap spell at Oldham and a couple of average games at the end of a failed season is a piss poor effort on any level , they  will pay in the way that bothers them most , in their pocket because will fans not come back as and when to support what would be the most un ambitious appointment ever made , let’s hope it does not come to that . 

Sums up why football finances are so screwed. No income from off-field activities for an indeterminate date. No supporters until at least October, but probably a lot longer. No date for fans being allowed back as per normal. It will take time to rebuild off-field activities and for fans to return. We have a lot of contracted players on large contracts. Stadium needs to be maintained, overheads to be paid.

And yet, with a variety of dubious excuses, the Club should pay out money it does not have to hire a manager (And possibly back room staff), all paid for by a Chairman who also has a rugby club to support. He may choose to do that, but right now, an internal appointment is definitely the most sensible option, as summed up by OP. It’s not normal times, so historical precedent counts for nothing.

5 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

If you don’t try, then you will never achieve.

Financially this league is a basket case. To make money and cover your costs you have to get to the Premier League.

The only other option that makes financial sense is to be Rotherham and bounce between the Championship and League 1, but spend next to nothing when you get promoted, get relegated, keep your manager, get promoted again and hope that eventually you establish yourself at this level, but not bother about going for the Premier League. Norwich have essentially done the same this year in the Premier League, except that they get the added bonus of some parachute payments to help them for next season back in the Championship.

But what are you trying to achieve? Bankruptcy??

3 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

This ridiculous month long charade has nothing to do with the survival of the club , it’s about self important people making making a pigs ear of the process , Holden would be disastrous appointment on so many levels , the fans will feel betrayed , this was and still may be our big chance to get it right ,  a coach with no experience except for a crap spell at Oldham and a couple of average games at the end of a failed season is a piss poor effort on any level , they  will pay in the way that bothers them most , in their pocket because will fans not come back as and when to support what would be the most un ambitious appointment ever made , let’s hope it does not come to that . 

One small point, fans won’t be coming back for quite some time no matter who is appointed. I just wonder if realism has left this forum!

Archived