IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The thing that worries me if it is Holden....the comments about him being popular with the players

We don't need someone who is popular, we need someone to get results

Being popular shouldn't get you a job where you've not met the credentials already set by the board

If it is Holden he will have my full support, but it would be an enormous kick in the balls

But the beauty of football, he could be the best appointment the club have made since Dicks

Just now, Chappers said:

One small point, fans won’t be coming back for quite some time no matter who is appointed. I just wonder if realism has left this forum!

I said as and when , my realism is fine , appreciate your shit stirring but you must know people do not want this guy and is far from ‘ the sensible option ‘

13 minutes ago, ChubStixx said:

Imagine the vacancy being open for one month, only to announce Dean Holden.

With all due respect to Dean, I'm not sure how his experience validates him becoming a Championship manager.

Simply because all other options have been considered I suppose.

If the candidates don't tick the boxes or are asking too much (not necessarily money) then back to square one.

9 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

This ridiculous month long charade has nothing to do with the survival of the club , it’s about self important people making making a pigs ear of the process , Holden would be disastrous appointment on so many levels , the fans will feel betrayed , this was and still may be our big chance to get it right ,  a coach with no experience except for a crap spell at Oldham and a couple of average games at the end of a failed season is a piss poor effort on any level , they  will pay in the way that bothers them most , in their pocket because will fans not come back as and when to support what would be the most un ambitious appointment ever made , let’s hope it does not come to that . 

Unless he wins games of course - then all will be miraculously forgiven :yes:

Not 100% given up on Hughton.

If it is Holden.

what was all the blather about ‘Ambition’ and ‘Premier League’ all about?

Also, if it is Holden, why bother firing LJ the first place?  They made a big deal of LJ having a coaching team, if that is true, then Holden is culpable for the under achievement that got LJ fired. Tarred with the same brush IMHO. 

2 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

I said as and when , my realism is fine , appreciate your shit stirring but you must know people do not want this guy and is far from ‘ the sensible option ‘

Well, if the fans don’t want him, I presume they will be the ones paying his wages? And why is it s stirring, have you not spotted a slight problem with our income for an indefinite period? It’s reality! 

6 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Sums up why football finances are so screwed. No income from off-field activities for an indeterminate date. No supporters until at least October, but probably a lot longer. No date for fans being allowed back as per normal. It will take time to rebuild off-field activities and for fans to return. We have a lot of contracted players on large contracts. Stadium needs to be maintained, overheads to be paid.

And yet, with a variety of dubious excuses, the Club should pay out money it does not have to hire a manager (And possibly back room staff), all paid for by a Chairman who also has a rugby club to support. He may choose to do that, but right now, an internal appointment is definitely the most sensible option, as summed up by OP. It’s not normal times, so historical precedent counts for nothing.

But what are you trying to achieve? Bankruptcy??

I am not suggesting bankruptcy. The sale of Eliasson or Diedhiou would more than cover the cost of a new management and coaching team for a year or 2. Especially as we already have plenty of players that we are not using or loaning out that a new manager could look to use.

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:
Dean Holden
1/2
Paul Cook
6/1
Chris Hughton
8/1
Alex Neil
10/1

Wow what a huge shift in last 30 minutes 

I know we shouldn’t take much notice of odds, but that is a big move in a short space of time.

1 minute ago, Chappers said:

Well, if the fans don’t want him, I presume they will be the ones paying his wages? And why is it s stirring, have you not spotted a slight problem with our income for an indefinite period? It’s reality! 

Maybe but no else is considering putting the ball boy in charge , no way Watford and Bournemouth will do that and nor have Brum 

If Holden gets the job then SL and JL can wave goodbye to a lot of season tickets aswell as a angry fan base

Waiting a month just to appoint the person who we finished the season with would be an absolute shambles

If bearing Hull and M’boro is enough to get you a job infront of other managers available then **** me I may aswell apply 

17 minutes ago, ChubStixx said:

Imagine the vacancy being open for one month, only to announce Dean Holden.

With all due respect to Dean, I'm not sure how his experience validates him becoming a Championship manager.

I’ll tell you, it doesn’t.

15 games in charge of Oldham (won 3) & then 5 in charge of us when our season had ended, during which he only beat Boro & Hull, so really just Boro then, as Hull lost to everyone post lockdown, including 8-0 in one game..

We were told we sacked LJ as we needed someone to take us to the next level, no one can possibly believe that means the assistant of the person we got rid of.

If he gets the job it will have absolutely nothing to do with Covid & finances & everything to do with Mark Ashton..

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

I’ll tell you, it doesn’t.

15 games in charge of Oldham (won 3) & then 5 in charge of us when our season had ended, during which he only beat Boro & Hull, so really just Boro then, as Hull lost to everyone post lockdown, including 8-0 in one game..

We were told we sacked LJ as we needed someone to take us to the next level, no one can possibly believe that means the assistant of the person we got rid of.

If he gets the job it will have absolutely nothing to do with Covid & finances & everything to do with Mark Ashton..

Exactly this 

3 minutes ago, Chappers said:

If the issue is a lack of income to the club, why not sack LJ and announce Holden straight away, rather than the current smoke and mirrors of aiming for the Premier League etc?

The club has raised the expectations of the supporters from its own previous announcements rather than the other way round. We are not all entitled like Forest, Leeds or Villa fans, but we have been led to believe the club wants to be successful.

3 hours ago, Bcfcbackwell said:

Due to COVID, the club are letting 40 staff go, a third of the total workforce.

Not to parrot what has been said on here before, the football club haven't been letting people go, it was Ashton Gate and thats because the roles aren't there for people to perform at the moment. The hospitality/entertainment sector will suffer all round its not like AG will be the exception.

On Holden I think if we were going with him he'd have been announced a while ago, no need for fans to get annoyed about how long an announcement is taking, they'd have just got it over and done with and let whatever fan backlash there may have been die down quickly over the summer rather than being closer to the season and shortly before players return. Any new gaffer worth their salt would have done research into the squad before interviews as to be able to know what they're talking about during interviews so they should at least have an understanding of the squad to a degree. You'd have expected them to have been asked questions on recruitment/where they view weaknesses in the squad etc in the interview so should be ready to go once they're in role. Also if it were going to be Holden another reason I think he'd have been announced earlier would have been so he could get on with whatever recruitment we had an eye on doing, decisions would have been properly made on Ashley Williams/Korey but we've not had decisions yet because we're waiting on someone.

Archived