IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I’ve thought all along how much the end of Lee Johnson felt like the end of Danny Wilson - four decent years in charge; brilliant football in the early days replaced by a turgid, negative approach; some good progression from where we were but unable to take the next step; fresh ideas injected into an already decent squad now needed.

It’s unbelievable, really, that we could then make the same move in replacing that stability - albeit stagnation - with someone from within who’s never done the job before, let alone had success at it. The very definition of stupid is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

The one major difference, obviously, is the world has changed beyond recognition in the past few months - but then if your decision is moulded by those events (and I think most right-thinking fans would’ve accepted that if it really was about sustaining the club) you don’t take 5/6 weeks to arrive at that point.

All that said, I’ll certainly support Dean because he strikes me as a man worthy of that support. But it’s difficult to support his appointment, which would make little sense and be completely out of touch with what fans - and the club say they - are looking for.

Unfortunately, I feel this latest swing from the bookies is correct. If / when Dean is announced it will feel like someone has taken a run and then jumped on to my Nads. Over 4 weeks of hope and a pending 'statement of intent'. I suppose it is a statement of intent but not the one I wanted to see or one that the Club and the fans deserve. Feel let down and gutted. Again.

13 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Think the loss of revenue will be way over the £5m barrier, there will be little market to sell players outside the PL, L1 and below may not happen without fans, so no loan market for our fringe players.
The big change was Boris going from ‘All over by Xmas’ to ‘No more easing’, casting big doubts over the coming season. That immediately made me think DH was an obvious option. As for ‘it never works’, it did with Jordan, and has at many clubs, notably Brentford and Fulham this season.

In normal circumstances I’d prefer a new face, but it’s not normal, People dying, losing jobs, losing homes, and it’s really disappointing seeing so many posters throwing toys out of the pram. Now is the time to support your Club and whoever the new manager is. It may be that they considered him the best candidate anyway, or it might be that outside factors make continuity a better option. We will never know.

If it is DH, remember the wise words of John Lennon (Well, almost) -

“All we are saying is give Dean a chance”

There really is no comparison between Dean Holden and either Joe Jordan (player manager of immense reputation in a different era) or Thomas Frank (experienced manager, including of of national age sides, in Denmark). We'll see how the Fulham situation turns out, they have a stellar squad by Championship standards.

It's disappointing to read a handful of posters writing of toys being thrown out of prams. The reality is that having been led to believe that the club was considering a wide range of candidates from all over the world it would be incredible if the best of those turned out to be Dean Holden.

I said from the off it quite possibly be him, in my mind he was going to get the job after the two wins, the fake big name appointment was only a smoke screen.

Not sexy enough for most on here, but DH knows the players management etc, and where everything is....he will be offered a short term contract I reckon, 'just to see'.

4 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

I said from the off it quite possibly be him, in my mind he was going to get the job after the two wins, the fake big name appointment was only a smoke screen.

Not sexy enough for most on here, but DH knows the players management etc, and where everything is....he will be offered a short term contract I reckon, 'just to see'.

There'd be no benefit to the club raising expectations if it was just going to be Holden. They'd have been better off just appointing him quickly if so. Fans wouldn't have liked it but would be over it by now. 

This would be very disappointing BUT if he was given a one-season contract and it was made clear that our proper hunt would begin in better financial times then I would just about accept it.

The real problem with this appointment isn't Holden's skills per se, but the overwhelmingly negative reaction and atmosphere it will generate. See this thread for proof of that.

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Has anything actually happened to cause this latest bout of mass hysteria, other than the odds shifting a bit, which they've done multiple times in the last month?

Not just a bit this time.

Hardly mass hysteria either. I think we as fans are just bracing ourselves for being let down. Going in to a 5th week and then appointing someone who was already doing the job. #laughingstock

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

There'd be no benefit to the club raising expectations if it was just going to be Holden. They'd have been better off just appointing him quickly if so. Fans wouldn't have liked it but would be over it by now. 

Ahh but that is how as I described our media works, as to why they do it, I don't know. And as for Gregor face whatever is name is and the Post, my God what a poor outfit we have in Bristol, never seen such bad reporting. The club seem to let them get away with so much false news it's crazy, BCFC are failing the Bristol Public and treat us with utter contempt. 

2 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Cook 1/1 

Holden 5/4 

now 

I think what probably happened last night was, based on Gregor's statement, people felt with nothing close and the new season approaching that the club might continue with Holden as the season commenced with the position still open. Doesn't Holden only have to manage 10 games to count as our 'new manager' with the bookies anyway?

With the odds changing this morning, it proves that there's very little inside info leaking which I suppose is a good thing. 

1 minute ago, Blackbird1 said:

Ahh but that is how as I described our media works, as to why they do it, I don't know. And as for Gregor face whatever is name is and the Post, my God what a poor outfit we have in Bristol, never seen such bad reporting. The club seem to let them get away with so much false news it's crazy, BCFC are failing the Bristol Public and treat us with utter contempt. 

I don't think he's that bad at all really. He tries his best to get info for fans when the club are a fairly closed shop. Regarding this appointment he's been right at every stage I think.

5 minutes ago, publandlord said:

Cook 1/5 (shortest price I have seen any of the candidates during this long drawn out process) Holden 7/2

I think Hughton went to 1/5 at one point. There must be hardly any cash going into this market to make it shift so dramatically in short spaces of time?!

47 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Think the loss of revenue will be way over the £5m barrier, there will be little market to sell players outside the PL, L1 and below may not happen without fans, so no loan market for our fringe players.
The big change was Boris going from ‘All over by Xmas’ to ‘No more easing’, casting big doubts over the coming season. That immediately made me think DH was an obvious option. As for ‘it never works’, it did with Jordan, and has at many clubs, notably Brentford and Fulham this season.

In normal circumstances I’d prefer a new face, but it’s not normal, People dying, losing jobs, losing homes, and it’s really disappointing seeing so many posters throwing toys out of the pram. Now is the time to support your Club and whoever the new manager is. It may be that they considered him the best candidate anyway, or it might be that outside factors make continuity a better option. We will never know.

If it is DH, remember the wise words of John Lennon (Well, almost) -

“All we are saying is give Dean a chance”

I understand your sentiment here, but considering it is unusual times etc etc we should surely go with someone who has experience of being a manager? If we're looking for stability, then you go with someone with experience, not someone who has never really done it before (has managed 20 games total). 

I understand perhaps not going for someone like Hughton who might break the bank in terms of transfers etc, but Cook is used to dealing with a smaller budget than ours? Or even go for someone like Ryan Lowe, at least he's managed clubs for multiple seasons!

6 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Cook 1/5 now. 

Thank God...........A possible step back from the ledge?   I hope that anyone who bet on Holden (All £7.95 of it) feel suitably gutted.   Cook I can accept, as I think he is tactically astute, and a good judge of players.

23 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

Is knowing the players a benefit then. Seeing them play so often like a bunch of strangers with know passion or fight. The point is we don't want continuity , we want a fresh pair of eyes and a fresh approach to to shake this lot up, get rid of the deadwood and get us playing in a consistent and competitive way. That is why Holden would be the wrong choice at so many levels. And the Board would be as gutless as  our midfield under Johnson/Holden in choosing him.

1 hour ago, oldstandrobin said:

Cracking post Brizzle, what I have thought all along. Under LJ we would have continued in our yoyo championship state but would probably have not gone into the relegation zone and we as fans would have continued biting our nails as to when would we ever stabilise. Holden was 1/3 of a training and coaching team so are we saying he had zero input into LJ's weekly training ? I wait with baited breath but if DH is appointed, my faith in the hierarchy at AG will reach a big fat zero, and being a supporter of the club for over 62 years I think that my reactions will not be knee jerk as I have watched them over the years with only some years of great excitement !

Hopefully, looking at the betting today, sanity is going to prevail OSR.  

As we know from decades of following this club though, anything is possible, but if we do appoint DH, that’ll be right up there with the most baffling decisions I can remember.

Archived