IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Chappers said:

Think the loss of revenue will be way over the £5m barrier, there will be little market to sell players outside the PL, L1 and below may not happen without fans, so no loan market for our fringe players.
The big change was Boris going from ‘All over by Xmas’ to ‘No more easing’, casting big doubts over the coming season. That immediately made me think DH was an obvious option. As for ‘it never works’, it did with Jordan, and has at many clubs, notably Brentford and Fulham this season.

In normal circumstances I’d prefer a new face, but it’s not normal, People dying, losing jobs, losing homes, and it’s really disappointing seeing so many posters throwing toys out of the pram. Now is the time to support your Club and whoever the new manager is. It may be that they considered him the best candidate anyway, or it might be that outside factors make continuity a better option. We will never know.

If it is DH, remember the wise words of John Lennon (Well, almost) -

“All we are saying is give Dean a chance”

The ones I listed are the revenue streams without “transfer profit” from selling players. You’re right that market is gonna be hit. I think you are forgetting the European market which is where the interest from Diedhiou and Eliasson stems.

Our wage bill will have reduced by a bit, but we have also got 25% wage deferral to repay to players too, so that will get eaten up.

Its not disastrous because we’ve been prudent in the past, but we won’t be going mad either. That might be enough to put Hughton off!!

46 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

There really is no comparison between Dean Holden and either Joe Jordan (player manager of immense reputation in a different era) or Thomas Frank (experienced manager, including of of national age sides, in Denmark). We'll see how the Fulham situation turns out, they have a stellar squad by Championship standards.

It's disappointing to read a handful of posters writing of toys being thrown out of prams. The reality is that having been led to believe that the club was considering a wide range of candidates from all over the world it would be incredible if the best of those turned out to be Dean Holden.

Fair points, but I stand by lots of toys coming out of plans. If it goes wrong, we will change again, it it goes well, humble pie. And as for threatening to stop attending..... Well, I don’t think that will be a big threat for next season ?
It’s not happy times, second wave approaching, tough economic times ahead, a bit of perspective and positivity is needed.

7 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Sometimes we have to temper ambition somewhat. Plenty of ambitious clubs have gone to the wall and with what looks like a financial tsunami about to hit football then it may be more about surviving the storm so as to come out of it stronger.

Steve L has made his fortune from financial planning and may have to make major changes to his plans for the future. The world has changed in 6 months and whatever statements he made previously about his ambitions may be irrelevant now. My ambition 6 months ago was for us to be in the play offs and get into the Premier League. My ambition now is to sit in my seat in a packed Ashton Gate surrounded by my football buddies. Nothing more than that for now.

A lot of valid points there, but if weathering the storm really is SL’s thinking, what possible reason could he have had for sacking LJ at this point?

For someone who’s appeared unsackable in the past, it just doesn’t make sense to pull the trigger now, if the plan was just to ride out the storm.

Hopefully this turns out to be a false alarm and someone like Cook is appointed.   If we do indeed go for DH though, it would  suggest we’ve been knocked back by all our main targets, and we’re now getting desperate.  

Trying not to be disrespectful to DH, but this seems more of a punt than LJ was and definitely doesn’t feel like progress.

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

Absolutely convinced now that we’re waiting on the outcome of Fulham’s play-off Challenge. 

The around 7 days reference relates to whether they went out against Cardiff. The 10 days relates to tonight. If they lose Hughton goes to them as their manager replacement. If Fulham win, he’s ours. 

Not quite sure how I feel about being Hughton’s second choice mind.

If we don’t get Hughton due to Fulham’s failure to win promotion,  it’ll be Cook.

The only possible scenario for Holden is that Eddie is being lined-up but wants a month off to recover. Holden will continue the caretaker role until Eddie comes in.

All pure speculation but provides logic to what, superficially, appears to be total incompetence. 

Well he'd be ours.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

The ones I listed are the revenue streams without “transfer profit” from selling players. You’re right that market is gonna be hit. I think you are forgetting the European market which is where the interest from Diedhiou and Eliasson stems.

Our wage bill will have reduced by a bit, but we have also got 25% wage deferral to repay to players too, so that will get eaten up.

Its not disastrous because we’ve been prudent in the past, but we won’t be going mad either. That might be enough to put Hughton off!!

I do wonder if prices will drop, as these Clubs will realise our weak negotiating position, and will realise that, for most EFL clubs, reducing wage bill is more important than the fee.

I know my views are in a minority, but right now the EFL is in a bad way, we are better than many, but time to support our Clubs through the hard times.

2 minutes ago, Chappers said:

I do wonder if prices will drop, as these Clubs will realise our weak negotiating position, and will realise that, for most EFL clubs, reducing wage bill is more important than the fee.

I know my views are in a minority, but right now the EFL is in a bad way, we are better than many, but time to support our Clubs through the hard times.

I think values will drop worldwide.

£8m for Fam becomes £5m now....or something like that. 

32 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Smokescreen so you feel relived you get Cook not Holden, so not angry about not getting Hughton

As much as I would be relived I still won't be excited or expecting much other than maybe the top half of the league finish. Even so, I won't be happy with it as for the first time in a long time we're in a position where there is an amazing manager or two available if the club is serious about promotion or at the very least pushing forward and we'll be taking the lesser option again. 

14 minutes ago, Chappers said:

I see this slightly differently. Compared with a lot of EFL clubs I think we may be stronger in these times than a few of our Championship rivals (not all by any stretch). In addition, we may be able to get some deals done for some gems out there that we may have not been able to in 'normal' circumstances.

There I go again, trying to be positive. I will have a word with myself. #thehopethatkillsyou

Just trying to square a Holden appointment with some of the (few) public quotes from MA

1. Ambition
  2. Surprisingly high quality of candidates (SURPRISINGLY)
  3. Global Applicants. 

So IF DH is given the job, it means MA believes him to be better than a surprisingly high calibration of managers and also the best we could find available and willing anywhere in the world. 

Discuss. 

1 minute ago, Southport Red said:

Just trying to square a Holden appointment with some of the (few) public quotes from MA

1. Ambition
  3. Global Applicants. 

So IF DH is given the job, it means MA believes him to be better than a surprisingly high calibration of managers and also the best we could find available and willing anywhere in the world. 

Discuss. 

No need for discussion. I think you've said it all.

7 minutes ago, supercidered said:

If you believe this source you will believe anything!

SL looks like Benny Hill in that photo !!

One for the kids!

Not saying it's believable because most media isn't. I will caveat that by saying that same journo Wayne Veysey works for goal.com primarily and broke the gas signing a player from Coventry the other day on the same platform.

5 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

1. Ambition
  3. Global Applicants. 

Discuss. 

It also means that MA would consider DH superior to Lee... wonder how long he would have been of that opinion and if he was of that opinion why didn’t he act earlier and get us into the play offs? 

15 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

1. Ambition
  3. Global Applicants. 

Discuss. 

If Holden is appointed it will be an SL decision and be major loss of face for Ashton.

We may find Ashton leaves to take the CEO job at WBA [covered on another thread] where he has past connections of some significance. If he did that though he would probably lose his place on the EFL board

21 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Not saying it's believable because most media isn't. I will caveat that by saying that same journo Wayne Veysey works for goal.com primarily and broke the gas signing a player from Coventry the other day on the same platform.

Fair enough. I guess a broken clock tells the right time twice a day.

29 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

1. Ambition
  3. Global Applicants. 

Discuss. 

I've thought about this as well, but that was before we approached Gerrard or Hughton. Presumably when he thought he could get one of those two.

33 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

1. Ambition
  3. Global Applicants. 

Discuss. 

MA's bedtime favourite book

spin doctor.jpeg

1 hour ago, Redrascal2 said:

Is knowing the players a benefit then. Seeing them play so often like a bunch of strangers with know passion or fight. The point is we don't want continuity , we want a fresh pair of eyes and a fresh approach to to shake this lot up, get rid of the deadwood and get us playing in a consistent and competitive way. That is why Holden would be the wrong choice at so many levels. And the Board would be as gutless as  our midfield under Johnson/Holden in choosing him.

However, just consider what I believe the Board will do...2 year contract, that will be the cheapest and possibly 'fairest' option to reward loyalty, and time to unearth a gem of a coach.

1 hour ago, B1ackbird said:

Just seems strange that we sack Johnson and replace him with one of his acolytes.. 

its all smoke and mirrors to me at the moment. Probably the same for most of you. Especially the 95% of us not spinning s^%t on rumours. The other 5% please take stock of your self and lets see what happens.

Archived