IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

30 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Hughton gone from 16/1 to 5/2, by lunchtime he will be favourite and on the roof by 6pm

In the scheme of betting things we all understand the ups and downs of odds vis a vis money going on, or the lack of it; I occasionally looked at the odds of CH which was always very low; did he really go out as far as 16/1? 

I guess that's when half of the fan base were getting so fed up and suicidal at the thought of Holden that they spent all their life savings on a Hughton bet.... And ....breath... The odds came back down and they felt relaxed and indeed alive again. 

No wonder the Samaritans went ex directory.

53 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Just trying to square a Holden appointment with some of the (few) public quotes from MA

1. Ambition
  2. Surprisingly high quality of candidates (SURPRISINGLY)
  3. Global Applicants. 

So IF DH is given the job, it means MA believes him to be better than a surprisingly high calibration of managers and also the best we could find available and willing anywhere in the world. 

Discuss. 

Given those MA quotes, if we do actually appoint DH, I reckon the only discussion needed is about MA’s professional judgement and potentially his sanity!

23 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Has anyone been stupid enough to place money on our next Manager??

Not me. Same as most of us not listening to the continual gossip c&^p. Jesus Christ we must be the laughing stock of out siders looking at this stuff .

It’s time we had a Covid shut down on who the next manager is going to be.

I wonder if this is one time that the club's desire to 'do things the right way' is going to work against us. Look at Huddersfield - they obviously had their new manager lined up before the ditched Cowley. In our case, I can imagine the club hierarchy wouldn't want to go behind LJs back and look for a replacement before actually sacking him and the result is now, 5 weeks down the line we still don't have a new manager. If we do indeed get Holden permanently (which looks distinctly like a desperation appointment cos everyone else fell through), Lansdown/Ashton have to have a serious look at how they do things in the future. 

Sorry if this has been covered already.

To my way of thinking appointing Dean Holden would contradict all we've been told regarding SL's and the boards ambition for the club. We've been told we need someone to take us to the next level, someone who can mould the talent we undoubtedly have at the club into a team capable of not only getting in the play-offs but seriously challenging for the top two.

I'm sure Dean's an excellent coach and has the potential to become a good manager/head coach, but we don't want to be a nursery for up and coming young managers. Appointing from within 9 time out of ten suggests small club mentality to me. And our history shows that these  types of appointments don't bear fruit.

If the club are happy just to be established in the Championship then why sack LJ, after all he is the one who has established us there. To achieve the goals set by Steve Lansdown we either need an experienced manager at this level with an impressive CV or we look abroad at someone with fresh idea's who can shape raw talent.

We've seen Chelsea and Arsenal appiont inexperienced former players as head coach but both have played under some great managers and in Arteta's case he has served his coaching apprenticeship under a truly great coach in Pep. This appointment is a clear indicator of what direction the club wishes to go, a higher profile manager states we are ambitious an internal appointment will, in my mind, we are happy to remain where we are and if that is the case why sack LJ in the first place?

12 minutes ago, numbeast said:

Sorry if this has been covered already.

To my way of thinking appointing Dean Holden would contradict all we've been told regarding SL's and the boards ambition for the club. We've been told we need someone to take us to the next level, someone who can mould the talent we undoubtedly have at the club into a team capable of not only getting in the play-offs but seriously challenging for the top two.

I'm sure Dean's an excellent coach and has the potential to become a good manager/head coach, but we don't want to be a nursery for up and coming young managers. Appointing from within 9 time out of ten suggests small club mentality to me. And our history shows that these  types of appointments don't bear fruit.

If the club are happy just to be established in the Championship then why sack LJ, after all he is the one who has established us there. To achieve the goals set by Steve Lansdown we either need an experienced manager at this level with an impressive CV or we look abroad at someone with fresh idea's who can shape raw talent.

We've seen Chelsea and Arsenal appiont inexperienced former players as head coach but both have played under some great managers and in Arteta's case he has served his coaching apprenticeship under a truly great coach in Pep. This appointment is a clear indicator of what direction the club wishes to go, a higher profile manager states we are ambitious an internal appointment will, in my mind, we are happy to remain where we are and if that is the case why sack LJ in the first place?

Who would be a higher profile manager ? And would he come here ?

We are down to Hughton (doubtful), Cook (possibe), and Holden (likely) imo.

Thats after 4 or 5 weeks of looking/interviewing.

14 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Do you think our wages will be less next season assuming Maenpaa, Korey and Williams are all gone. If Fam and Eliasson are sold. Wright, Taylor and loans gone.

Some of them like Williams and Afobe must have been very high earners.

Free up more wages if we sell Fam and Eliasson. Plus let's say 7-8 million for them.

And maybe a little bit of money for Herbie Kane transfer sell on clause who will be sold by Liverpool. Maybe even Loyd Kelly to Liverpool gets us a bit too?

Give O'Leary, Moore, Vyner, Walsh, Morrell and Szmodics a go next season in our first team squad.

We'd probably need to bring in a CB, CM and ST. Being greedy I'd like a RB too. 

Can probably be done sensibly with loans or frees.

Could this sort of thing be what Lansdown wants during this time I wonder.

Wright and Taylor went out on loan, they'll be off the wage bill in their entirety but I assume Oxford and Sunderland would've been covering at least some of these.

Especially Sunderland, they were in third and final year of Parachute Payments so don't see why we'd discount. Those two aside.

No Pereira, Afobe loans, Henriksen released early. Savings if released on Maenpaa, Smith certainly and half-season on Benkovic- all savings.

OTOH, Wells surely won't be cheap wage wise? We paid a number of months but need to factor in over a whole season.

O'Leary, Moore, Morrell, Walsh, Szmodics and Adelakun all returning, unsure if we got their wages off entirely last season or if we helped subsidise their long. They should be in lower wages though! Have I missed any returning loanees?

Will be interesting to see how Covid impacts upon profit or fees for Eliasson and Diedhiou and is Herbie Kane up for sale then- with Covid interesting to see how much he goes for and to whom.

2 minutes ago, Suffolk Red said:

Bristol Post hasn't had a clue throughout this whole process.  They're just going off the odds like everyone else..

(I REALLY HOPE THEY ARE ANYWAY)

There would seem to be keenness within the club to keep DH, perhaps rightly so as he could be the next Pep, how do we know how things will turn out if he gets appointed.  I do wonder though if a name as D of F is something to be considered.  Just suppose Palace released “Woy”, (there are a few others as well, Big Sam of course for one) could that be the way forward ? It would give DH a chance, avoids costly cancelling contracts of the current coaching staff, the club gets a name with lots of experience and an extra coach which is a sort of a statement of intent.

Not my initial view but the more one thinks about the situation.........?

10 minutes ago, Suffolk Red said:

Here's the Gregor Mcgregface quote:

Bristol City are expected to announce their new head coach imminently - and as reported last week - Dean Holden is certainly a key man in that race.

The interim head coach has emerged of late as a genuine option for the club going forward, and his knowledge of the young talent at City could be key as regards an appointment, with little money to spend over the next year.

We’re told that no announcement is expected today, but it does sound like that Holden is now leading this race and there could be one in the next few days.

Not exactly sure what imminent even means anymore. ?‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Suffolk Red said:

That's is sickening to read after all the names which have been mentioned over the past 5 weeks

Surely that has to be the desperation appointment after everyone else fell through, as they are suggesting it's down to his knowledge of the youth players and little money to spend in the next year, but that has been the case since the beginning of this process and the club knew about both those reasons from the start

2 hours ago, Blackbird1 said:

However, just consider what I believe the Board will do...2 year contract, that will be the cheapest and possibly 'fairest' option to reward loyalty, and time to unearth a gem of a coach.

I do not understand what you mean by reward loyalty. 

A Holden appointment would I think mean that we work with what we have. I'm sure our players are better than how LJ had them playing and if Holden can get them playing more freely and get an extra 10% from each of them, then we won't be far off next season. Things just needed tweaking not another rebuild. He's still not my choice though ,  prefer Hughton

If Holden is selected and the usual result follows of the assistant failing as the Manager then what hope have the club got under Lansdown of ever getting the right man. He has had so many chances  and got it wrong and this was such a good  chance with the candidates available.

If Holden gets the job I will not be no where near as interested as I have been in City

I pay money into city regarding season tickets, away tickets etc just for a load of lies from the board about appointing someone to take us to the next level which if he is appointed will just be chucked back in our faces 

5 weeks to appoint someone who failed last season, no thank you, shambles of a situation 

6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That sort of mentality will get you nowhere at this level of football. Other clubs will see this situation as an opportunity and look to steal a march on others - that’s a winning strategy I’d wager and those clubs who are brave now are more likely to succeed.

Time will tell.

Alright to a point if you have parachute payments or if you have PL TV money or European top division money elsewhere, or CL, EL or a mix of PL/European top flight and European competition cash. I digress!

Not supporting the appointment of Holden but it'll be interesting to see how the financial picture at this level plays out in the coming weeks and months. Remember too there might yet be a wage cap introduced as soon as 2020/21! It's an uncertain environment.

1 minute ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

If Holden gets the job I will not be no where near as interested as I have been in City

I pay money into city regarding season tickets, away tickets etc just for a load of lies from the board about appointing someone to take us to the next level which if he is appointed will just be chucked back in our faces 

5 weeks to appoint someone who failed last season, no thank you, shambles of a situation 

Have you factored in a) FFP and b) The prospect of that being replaced by a wage cap from next season?

Figures I've read/heard for the latter were £18m and £20m per season.

If clubs vote this in, a lot of people at this level may need to realign expectations.

Archived