IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

Here's the Gregor Mcgregface quote:

Bristol City are expected to announce their new head coach imminently - and as reported last week - Dean Holden is certainly a key man in that race.

The interim head coach has emerged of late as a genuine option for the club going forward, and his knowledge of the young talent at City could be key as regards an appointment, with little money to spend over the next year.

We’re told that no announcement is expected today, but it does sound like that Holden is now leading this race and there could be one in the next few days.

Not exactly sure what imminent even means anymore. ?‍♂️

It does look like this really might be happening. If, and it’s still a big if, it is Holden it will be the most underwhelming appointment versus expectation we’ve ever made. 

4 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Or Holden is effectively told “sorry mate, you’re the last resort as we can’t agree a deal with anyone else”.

Hardly inspiring for him, for us or the players.

It wouldn’t be that but ‘ Dean, you know we’ve scoured the footballing world looking for a new head coach ? 

We’ve had hundreds of applications from top coaches both here and abroad . 

Well guess what ? 

We think you are the best man for the job . ‘ 

:blink:

If its Holden we've;

Wasted 5 weeks

Are losing Diedhiou and Eliasson. Period.

Have 4 weeks to clear dead wood and sign upwards of 5 players.

Appointed someone with an even worse track record than LJ.

I'd give up and rather play football myself at that point.

Very underwhelming if true! Fans have been expecting an appointment that would excite- just like in the rugby. Personally I think we deserve better. Holden was unable to improve our situation when LJ was moved on despite the players seemingly enjoying the freedom they were allowed. 

11 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Reckon it’s been Holden from the start . Just been dragging out to save flack and complaints . With the players returning Monday they hope within a week or two it will blow over and fans will start talking about football again. 

The only thing that would appease the fans if Holden got the job would be two or three marquee signings

2 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Very underwhelming if true! Fans have been expecting an appointment that would excite- just like in the rugby. Personally I think we deserve better. Holden was unable to improve our situation when LJ was moved on despite the players seemingly enjoying the freedom they were allowed. 

Exactly. Five must-win games, we won two. And that was with the new-manager bounce. 

I'll be in denial regarding Holden's appointment until anything is announced but you have to question what the board have been doing for 5 weeks to then appoint the bloke who's been mentored by the manager who we've just sacked.

Really isn't good enough from mine and many other fans' point of view I'm sure.

Ashton Gate will be more than half empty next season and thats not just because of social distancing measures...

The question I ask if this is true and Holden is appointed is if he's the outstanding candidate for the job why was he not appointed straight after LJ left then? Or at least straight after the last game of the season so he could get on and plan for next season? What's changed? Just all seems such a missed opportunity. Very frustrating.

If it is Dean, it will mark the day when SL confirms the rugby side is more important.

They have a top coach, world class players and are chasing titles and European competition.  I bet even the Basketball mob will have Michael Jordan as manager next.

If we're not allowed in the stadium next season I will 100% be going for the refund option.

1 minute ago, redsocks said:

Are we about to become a laughing stock.5 weeks 2 find a manager and end up with Johnsons puppet.not good no ambition.SL thinks more about the rugby than the football.quite happy to be a average championship side.

Posts like yours here are more likely to make us a laughing stock than the club taking it's time.

I don't want Holden as manager but I'll give him a bit of credit- and some debit- on a few points. 

Credit:

1) Players had a bit more freedom.

2) 3-5-2. That's a good starting point.

3) Reintegration of Benkovic. Think he's a ballplaying CB but was just one of many incorrectly or poorly used this season and probably before.

4) More attempts, more possession. This has to be a positive. Albeit from a VERY low base. 

5) A fairly settled team and structure.

The debits:

1) A midfield 3 of Smith-Paterson-Weimann is a novel approach but one that can be found out quite quickly.

An extra genuine CM in there and then depending on the opposition, Wells and Weimann up top or Wells and Diedhiou.

That said I think Wells and Weimann could be a fruitful partnership in the making in that sort of shape, both quite clever players.

2) Zero clean sheets in the 5 games. Still certainly conceded some chances.

3) A little more flexibility within same shape and template would have been nice, 3-4-2-1. Paterson as a wide left and Weimann wide right, Wells up top. Bit more control, balance and structure IMO.  

As in Paterson can link with DaSilva and Weimann with Hunt yet not too wide to be negated.

Overall I think he left some good things and these can be built on- but by a new, suitable manager!

33 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Reckon it’s been Holden from the start . Just been dragging out to save flack and complaints . With the players returning Monday they hope within a week or two it will blow over and fans will start talking about football again. 

I fear this might not be that far from the truth.

16 minutes ago, Rocky said:

If it is Dean, it will mark the day when SL confirms the rugby side is more important.

They have a top coach, world class players and are chasing titles and European competition.  I bet even the Basketball mob will have Michael Jordan as manager next.

If we're not allowed in the stadium next season I will 100% be going for the refund option.

Let's hope and pray we're not allowed in next season then

5 minutes ago, dave36 said:

A quick look disproves that assertion.

Two wins, two draws, one defeat = 1.6 ppg. (extrapolated 76.3 pps)

Previous 5 games - zero wins, one draw, four defeats = 0.2 ppg

Rather have Hughton but wouldn't spit my dummy out if Cook or Holden got the job.

It may have become clearer over the weeks that the financial climate may mean that Hughton is out of the question and, if compo is required for Cook, that may also be out of the question.

Dunno, just guessing, but reality may be striking home and not just for us.

Totally different scenario from pre-lockdown and comparisons with Pat Lam etc is now oranges and potatoes.

Then again, they've been so tight on keeping it under wraps that it may be someone we've not heard mentioned.

Who knows ?

Archived