IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

There have been some successes and some failures in my time watching City, but it I don’t think that’s any different to other clubs.

Genuine question, which ‘number 2s’ that City have promoted to manager have worked out in your opinion?

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I don’t think I’ve ever felt so disillusioned and deflated. I genuinely thought we were on the verge of a pivotal turning point for the positive.

What an absolute, complete and utter **** YOU to the fans. 

It is a total and utter disgrace. Are we surprised though? Look at the lack of respect towards our fans on our Twitter page.

What the hell has happened to this club? It's being ran by a bunch of businessmen who care **** all about its fans. 

Truth be told, I don't know loads about Holden and it is possible he could be a great manager in waiting. Wilbraham spoke really well of him and MacGregor gives the impression the players do too, which was always speculated not to be so much the case with Johnson. And ultimately I'm going to judge the new appointment, be it Holden or someone else, on where we are in a year's time rather than today.

But I am going to be extremely disappointed if he gets the job. The club's reason for sacking LJ was an aspiration for Premier League football and I don't want to wait three or four years for him to learn. And, whatever the reasons, it looks like a lazy or cheap appointment. Maybe in a year's time, he will prove us all wrong but the board and Mark Ashton need to be fully accountable if that is not the case. 

Just now, Northern Red said:

So, do those of you who wanted LJ out and thought that literally anyone would do better still stand by that?

No, but did think this was a club with ambition. Obviously not, should’ve known really.

Turns out it may well have been a pointless sacking.

1 minute ago, Mr Hankey said:

Be bloody hysterical if this happens, this is what you get when you stick a kid who eats crayons in his sandwich as chairman. Don't think i would have any of reaction than to find it hilarious, don't think i would even be angry at this stage.

???? Just look at the new club badge. Course we were always going to end up with Dean Holden, the poor chap.

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

There have been some successes and some failures in my time watching City, but it I don’t think that’s any different to other clubs.

TBH, I still haven't forgiven Lumsden for selling Bob Taylor, so probably a bit biast. 

I try not to be too hyperbolic on here, but if it is Holden then that's really disappointing and a huge failure from the club.

It indicates our recruitment process has failed as there's no way he was our number 1 target from the start. 

Fan expectations were raised with talk of the wealth of applications from around the world, news stories about Steven Gerrard and courting Hughton. 

It makes us look quite amateur and fans will give Holden a very tough time if he doesn't do well immediately which adds unnecessary pressure to an already inexperienced manager.

In short - it's not the appointment of a club with genuine intent on leveling up or promotion. Holden might surprise everyone, but he's going to have to do damn well from the start to get fans onside. If this is true, very disappointing.

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

So, do those of you who wanted LJ out and thought that literally anyone would do better still stand by that?

I wanted LJ out, but I said at the time that to sack him with no plan for replacement was wrong. Seemingly the club either did that, or the plan they had was unrealistic or just plain bad. Either way it now looks likely that we've fallen back to Plan F. 

As I said above, I won't go into the 2020/21 season with much hope, but I also won't write Holden off immediately.

The point Gregor makes about the "makeup of the backroom staff" suggests to me that the club may be looking at bringing in a new assistant manager/coach. Hopefully that will be an older head who can help Holden in the areas where he may be weaker. Possibly some new tactical ideas can be brought in, couple that with Holden's relationship with the players, and we might see some poitive developments on the pitch.

All guesswork but I'm clinging to that idea basically.

I was hoping we’ve come away from the ‘jobs for the boys’ club. But it looks as though we will continue to have that tag around us. It’s staggering. 

Who will Holden turn to for advice if things start to go wrong? His pal Lee Johnson...

Nothing has been confirmed of course but I’ll be so disappointed with the club.

Mark Ashton on the 8th of July:

"I've been involved in this process on a number of occasions in my career and it is a challenge, let's be clear," Ashton said.

"When I left the ground here on Saturday night, having spoken to Lee, Dean (Holden), staff, players, there were a number of people calling, almost offering their condolences because they were sad to see we made the change.

"But at the same time, the phone starts with coaches, managers, people representing those coaches and managers who see Bristol City as a fantastic opportunity, a fantastic job and a club that has real potential to get to the Premier League.

"We have been inundated with applicants - internationally, nationally; coaches, managers from right across the globe. "So what we will do right now is pull together that list. We've had conversations with the owners with the type of individual that we're looking for and from that list we will start to interview and we will move through an interview process and find the right person for this job."

There's been a serious failure in the recruitment process if we come out the other end with Dean Holden at the helm. How can you scan through all of the CVs, interview the best candidates and realise that the best applicant was right under your nose? What on earth did Holden do in that interview to impress Ashton? He was a major part of Johnson's coaching team which were considered a failure by the board. 

We've made excellent process over the past few years and this season has knocked the wind out of our sails. It quickly feels like the post-Gary Johnson era all over again! 

What I don’t get is this idea that due to the financial restraints caused by Covid, we need to appoint a failed assistant coach as Head Coach. Surely a proven coach with the ability to get the best out of the players we have is what is required, probably more than ever.

The matches I saw with Holden as manager didn't inspire me that we would be making the fresh new approach necessary to relight any serious attempt to make this club a Top 6 contender.

We won against the shit clubs during the dead cat bounce post-Lee, but there were still poor tactical choices, lack of cohesion, no real inventiveness against any decent opposition. We had a midfield not attuned to the forward line, a defence that was often out of position, forwards not taking clearcut chances and either taking two steps too many or making one pass too many.

It would be a kick in the teeth for our aspirations to see that again next season.

We need root-and-branch reform.

Archived