IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Loco Rojo said:

People saying no ambition etc need to take a breath and look at the bigger picture here. With the state of football finances and the likely hood that fans won't be allowed back in for an unknown period of time, plus other revenue streams significantly hit, this is likely to get alot worse.

Holden wouldn't be my first choice to get us promoted but I think we're trying to consolidate things right now, see what happens next season with the state of the finances/economy and then look at it again next year when we have a better idea of the financial picture. At the end of the day this is a business that has to survive.

We clearly aren't ready for PL without investment and maybe Landsdown isn't able or want to plow millions in to the team/manager wages without appropriate levels of money coming back in to balance the books.

Personally, while he wasn't the first choice, I think we go with Holden and regroup next season (accept the risk it could backfire) but i think football will be changing far more than we appreciate right now and this will get much worse when/if a second spike hits and football either gets stopped again or restrictions continue for much longer.

It's not like the pandemic has happened since LJ was sacked. Everyone knew when they sacked him that the next season would be affected, and finances with it. So why pursue and in some cases interview Gerrard, Hughton, Cook etc in the first place if the reason you appoint Holden is a tight budget and uncertainty. It's a paper thin excuse if given and frankly keeping LJ would have been cheaper if this was the primary concern.

1 minute ago, BCFC Grim said:

Lansdown sees us as customers and that's it. He said as much when he was defending Johnson ( that proved a success) when he said it's his money, so his club.

Term supporters is only used when the club needs its customers. I’ve always said this.

2 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

People saying no ambition etc need to take a breath and look at the bigger picture here. With the state of football finances and the likely hood that fans won't be allowed back in for an unknown period of time, plus other revenue streams significantly hit, this is likely to get alot worse.

Holden wouldn't be my first choice to get us promoted but I think we're trying to consolidate things right now, see what happens next season with the state of the finances/economy and then look at it again next year when we have a better idea of the financial picture. At the end of the day this is a business that has to survive.

We clearly aren't ready for PL without investment and maybe Landsdown isn't able or want to plow millions in to the team/manager wages without appropriate levels of money coming back in to balance the books.

Personally, while he wasn't the first choice, I think we go with Holden and regroup next season (accept the risk it could backfire) but i think football will be changing far more than we appreciate right now and this will get much worse when/if a second spike hits and football either gets stopped again or restrictions continue for much longer.

Whilst this is understandable, when we do come to appoint that "Next Level" coach, will options like Hughton or even Cook be available? Probably not. Total missed opportunity. 

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

This surely isn't the hill Ashton wants to die on. There's no coming back for him if this appointment goes wrong. Massive risk from his point of view.

Absolutely. Johnson was a radical appointment but at least he had experience of some modest success with Barnsley and Oldham. He was also a former player and perhaps you could understand that. Holden is something completely left field, in fact he should not even be on the field. It all falls into place now, all those crap signings were Ashton and his scouts, Johnson just nodded and got on with it. If that is even remotely true then he has done a better job than many give him credit for. Very sad day if true and I think many will feel betrayed. You dont "talk the talk" about top 6 and then appoint a rookie like this. I also think its so unfair on Holden, he will be under massive pressure from day 1.   

4 minutes ago, TheJudge07 said:

I am not sure you can say that Holden has the capability to keep us in the Championship. It is such a strange appointment, if it is in fact true. In fact, I think it could prove to be one of the worst appointments in our modern day history. There is no evidence to suggest, on any level, that Holden deserves the job because of what he has achieved as a junior coach or whatever.  It defies belief that he even got an interview. Shambolic. So upset with this possible appointment. 

You are quite right I think I was being overly generous and putting it how the lansdowns see it...

2 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

If that were the case, Mark Ashton's spiel about impressive candidates viewing us as ready for the Premier League was perhaps not wise.

Just now, UREDS_91 said:

Whilst this is understandable, when we do come to appoint that "Next Level" coach, will options like Hughton or even Cook be available? Probably not. Total missed opportunity. 

My worry is that Holden would take us to the next level - but that level would be down.

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

It's not like the pandemic has happened since LJ was sacked. Everyone knew when they sacked him that the next season would be affected, and finances with it. So why pursue and in some cases interview Gerrard, Hughton, Cook etc in the first place if the reason you appoint Holden is a tight budget and uncertainty. It's a paper thin excuse if given and frankly keeping LJ would have been cheaper if this was the primary concern.

When Lee was sacked we didn't know the state of the pandemic thats been reported in the last few weeks, e.g. countries seeing surges. I dont see anything wrong with interviewing people and not commiting while trying to gauge the risk. 

The budget might not be tight right now (or when they interview) but if the ever increasing likelihood that football will be like this for longer than expected it makes absolute sense to tighten the finances to protect the future.  

16 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I will always hope for the best, but it would rank as the most underwhelming appointment we've ever made.

And Covid Economy-or-not, it quite simply doesn't have to be that feeble. Better options could have been found if there was a will to.

I've always been supportive of Lansdown's ownership and understanding of the mistakes the board have made under his stewardship. The good he's done has outweighed the bad IMO. 

But such an appointment has got tinpot written all over it. Particularly after a five-week delay and other candidates interviewed.

It would serious dent my belief in the powers-that-be at this club.

I echo your sentiments...always want the best for the club. But if...and thankfully it is still if...Dean Holden were to be appointed it wouldn't dent my belief, it would confirm suspicions about the lacklustre leadership of the club.

Steve Lansdown has been in charge for a long time in football terms, and has delivered very little on-the-pitch progress since Wembley in 2008. Which is pretty ancient history in football terms. I'm not convinced that there really is a 'project' or 'model', it changes with the wind, nor do I believe that Mark Ashton is really all that he believes himself to be as a football administrator. There will be people on here who know what has gone on and doubtless all will eventually be revealed...I suspect that for whatever reason the club wasn't the attraction Ashton suggested to us that it was, or, when they looked below the bonnet, he couldn't get bigger names to sign up something as nebulous as SL's 'ambition'.

But there's still hope that Gregor has it wrong!

I can almost hear Mark Ashton addressing the fans in a statement already, telling us what an elite level coach Dean Holden is and how his interview 'blew them away'.

For all we know Dean Holden could go on to become the best manager in our history. I hope he does.

However, what an absolutely uninspiring appointment. Embarrassingly drawn out affair that makes you think he was 4/5/6th choice and fallen into the position by default.

I'm one of the most optimistic fans you will ever meet. But, I am extremely worried as we stand with this seemingly imminent announcement.

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Maybe every one else interviewed thought we are a bit of a tinpot club and Ashton is full of cr@p.

6 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

In that case they should have stuck with Lee Johnson until next season. 

Surely the board can see appointing Holden will cause huge waves in the fanbase - are they that out of touch with us that they cannot see that? Or do they just not care? Honestly I think this appointment will be received so negatively by 90% of our fans, it will be toxic.

10 minutes ago, AshtonG666 said:

His missus has a channel called BiigNoobs, that tells me all I need to know about the respect the players will have for him as the head coach

Alongside her sister and her brother. They all share the twitch channel.

What she does for a living shouldn't really have a reflection on what the players think.

5 minutes ago, Will b11 said:

Fake I reckon 

I reckon someone has been using xray to change the site and couldn't be bothered to change the whole article so just did the date, title and first few lines. You can't see the tool bar at the top either where it would show x-ray is being used.

4 minutes ago, bris red said:

Why keep harping on about wanting to get in the top 6 and promotion then? Its the bullshit that comes out of Steve Lansdown’s mouth that is starting to piss people off.

Agree. A bit of honesty would probably help fans accept where we are tight now and help with the understanding. But to be honest do people really need that when they can see what's going on right now? City are just another business that are just as impacted.

31 minutes ago, Bristolisredd said:

0AD52FB5-E23F-48E3-831B-95F095460B2B.png

4 minutes ago, HomerRed said:

Did notice that the style they use for the date is wrong. Clutching at straws maybe . . . 

It's absolutely fake. It's in Chrome, using the inspector. The website doesn't format as '04th' either, it's '4th'. Quite possibly a glimpse into the future though.

1 minute ago, bris red said:

Surely the board can see appointing Holden will cause huge waves in the fanbase - are they that out of touch with us that they cannot see that? Or do they just not care? Honestly I think this appointment will be received so negatively by 90% of our fans, it will be toxic.

They don't care. 

Just now, ollywhyte said:

I can almost hear Mark Ashton addressing the fans in a statement already, telling us what an elite level coach Dean Holden is and how his interview 'blew them away'.

For all we know Dean Holden could go on to become the best manager in our history. I hope he does.

However, what an absolutely uninspiring appointment. Embarrassingly drawn out affair that makes you think he was 4/5/6th choice and fallen into the position by default.

I'm one of the most optimistic fans you will ever meet. But, I am extremely worried as we stand with this seemingly imminent announcement.

I think that's exactly it, they have run out of options after 5 weeks of trying to bring in someone of a high calibre and all that's left is Holden

They will spin it like a politician, suggesting this was always the plan!

Archived