IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Dottie said:

In that case they should have stuck with Lee Johnson until next season. 

Na. Even I accept it was time for a change and Holden to be fair to him didnt do badly (even if the other teams were terrible) I still couldn't see Lee getting the results Holden did.

Just now, nebristolred said:

It's absolutely fake. It's in Chrome, using the inspector. The website doesn't format as '04th' either, it's '4th'. Top bantz.

If it is....then fair play to whoever did it 

to be fair....why would anyone take a screenshot of it if it came up as breaking news anyway? 

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

This surely isn't the hill Ashton wants to die on. There's no coming back for him if this appointment goes wrong. Massive risk from his point of view.

Yep. This one's on him.

The sad thing is it'll be Holden who cops the flak from fans if this goes wrong, whilst Ashton is ignored.

2 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

It's absolutely fake. It's in Chrome, using the inspector. The website doesn't format as '04th' either, it's '4th'. Top bantz.

Also as ‘their’ head coach... don't think it would be worded like that on our own site.

1 minute ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

iIll be returning my ticket and I’m sure the fan base will be as toxic as it’s ever been 

Toxic ? I wish, would LJ have held on for so long playing boring football if our fanbase was toxic.

How we laughed at Cardiff for wearing red,appointing Holden when we are promised a real crack at the PL is our red kit moment.

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

If that were the case, Mark Ashton's spiel about impressive candidates viewing us as ready for the Premier League was perhaps not wise.

Mark Ashton is a Corporate man trying to promote the club. He will always polish a turd (not saying City are that bad).

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

Yep. This one's on him.

The sad thing is it'll be Holden who cops the flak from fans if this goes wrong, whilst Ashton is ignored.

If this is true, it's possibly the most puzzling aspect. Even the board will know that deep down Holden isn't the best candidate possible. Ashton knows this appointment, (more so than LJ given that we've had a long recruitment process with several applicants), is on him. You'd think Ashton would want an appointment that does as much as possible to preserve and enhance his own prospects. Huge risk.

9 minutes ago, UREDS_91 said:

Whilst this is understandable, when we do come to appoint that "Next Level" coach, will options like Hughton or even Cook be available? Probably not. Total missed opportunity. 

Yeah but there will be others out there who might be available or who's stock rises - if they do well next season, or who knows, perhaps one of these 2 will be available again. Who knows what might happen next season.

If this is confirmed and if there is a massive backlash it is entirely of MA’s making. 

If the Covid/finances thing is as bad as people are saying, they should have said so from the off and appointed Dean, without all the Stevie G/Hughton noise. We could have understood that and, whilst DH would have been the popular choice of only a few, we could have understood times are hard, cloth needs to be cut etc etc. 

I dont buy the finance argument though because Gerrard would not have been cheap and yet we clearly were chasing him for a while. 

If Dean Holden gets the job it will turn out to be the most Bristol City thing Little Bristol City have ever done, 5 weeks to put the same bloke in charge is quite frankly a shambles and smacks of the cheap option lacking in any ambition at all...  I was hoping the change of manager would be a turning point for the Club but if anything its a massive step back for the I think all involve should be embarrassed and hope they are looking forward to the lack of support they will get... if first games back we lose the atmosphere will be truly toxic... Show again that SL, JL & MA are happy for us to be a mid table team.... 

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

But if Holden wins first two games then fans will be starting to think we might have the right man.

The reaction of whoever is appointed doesn't really mean anything until a ball has been kicked.

...fans will be starting to 'hope' we have the right man. Which is a different thing, and what we have got used to. Given the complete absence of a track record as a manager at any level that hope would be pretty slender!

3 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Toxic ? I wish, would LJ have held on for so long playing boring football if our fanbase was toxic.

How we laughed at Cardiff for wearing red,appointing Holden when we are promised a real crack at the PL is our red kit moment.

It isn't, not even close.

I'm as fed up as everyone else but let's not be silly.

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Be a great selling point for the club when it tries to recruit new players.

"...And we've got a man who won two matches out of 11 as Oldham's caretaker manager once, as head coach...."

:facepalm:

"...As you can see, coming here is a great opportunity to get promoted to the Premier League. Wait until you see Deano's patented 3-0-7 formation, you'll love it"

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

It depends on what going wrong means. 

Relegation, yep certainly gone wrong.

Playing youth and ending up mid table playing good football and being more ready to challenge the following season. I'd take that as long as its good to watch, youth developing etc.

You might do but it's inconsistent with the club's stated objectives. We sacked LJ when playoffs became (almost) mathematically impossible. It stands to reason, covid notwithstanding, that the clubs objectives will be the same or better for the new manager. 

The new manager will rightly be expected, by board and the majority of fans, to be challenging for playoffs or better. 

By the same parameters LJ was judged on, if we appoint Holden and finish 13th but play decent football with several young players playing, it'll be interesting to see how consistent they are and whether they keep him on.

Accusing the Lansdown's of lacking ambition beggars belief. You don't pour the millions that SL has put into the club building a Premier League quality ground and training facility if you lack ambition to get to the PL. I don't particularly want Holden as our next head coach but if he's appointed it won't be because of a lack of ambition or as the mythical cheap option but because in these extraordinary times he's seen as right for the job. If appointed it might be on a short term contract until the country and football are back to normal. We also have no idea whatsoever of how the interviews with other candidates have gone or what there demands are fir taking the job, which given the current circumstances may be totally unrealistic. Getting to the PL is the ambition but not the be all and end all. I want a club that's still around to support,which may not be the case for some in the years ahead. 

Lansdowns club and Lansdowns money, with which he can do what he likes. Fortunately I can also do what I like with mine, that will be no renewal for the first time in 20 years. No renewal of my sons season ticket and certainly no more mascot packages, and birthday parties when available. No more 3 full kits and all the training gear for him each season either.

Yes he puts a lot of his own money in but collectively, so do we. 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

But there's many examples of managers being really good in their first jobs?

I give you SL's track record at managerial appointments as the source of my pessimism.

Fair play, there's no stopping you Jon...literally whatever the club does you'll be up for it. I wish I was drinking what you are drinking!

Archived