IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, AshtonG666 said:

Maybe this is a ploy, so that when the real appointment is made, if it's not quite the high profile coach we all want, it's still not Holden so we will all be still grateful

I don't think they care about our opinions that much 

2 minutes ago, haggis_farewell said:

"...As you can see, coming here is a great opportunity to get promoted to the Premier League. Wait until you see Deano's patented 3-0-7 formation, you'll love it"

Solves our midfielder problem though. We won't need any!  :laughcont:

Just now, Ron Swanson said:

Still clutching to straws here but still no main media outlets or other journalists have stated that Holden being head coach is imminent. 

You would expect the local news reporter to know , especially if it isn’t a big name. I guess makes sense why nobody really knew what was happening , no reason to suspect anything when Holden and Ashton seen talking ?

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If the framework a prospective manager is being asked to work within is roundly rejected by all candidates and you end up with the underqualified caretaker, then it’s time to throw the framework in the bin and think again.

Totally agree. But I suspect that while Ashton and the Lansdowns are in charge we’re stuck with it 

7 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

When Lee was sacked we didn't know the state of the pandemic thats been reported in the last few weeks, e.g. countries seeing surges. I dont see anything wrong with interviewing people and not commiting while trying to gauge the risk. 

The budget might not be tight right now (or when they interview) but if the ever increasing likelihood that football will be like this for longer than expected it makes absolute sense to tighten the finances to protect the future.  

I just don't buy it.

I don't want to turn this thread into another covid thread. 

However, when LJ was sacked on 4th July the football industry was already looking at a very uncertain future. UK gov guidance on the return of "elite sport" at that time was not exactly positive. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the lockdown the sport was already fully aware that the return of fans for 2020/21 was far from guaranteed, and we'd almost certainly not be anywhere near seeing regular crowds of 20,000+ at AG. If that wasn't factored into discussions and plans from the very start, then the club's business acumen is far far lower than they purport it to be.

3 minutes ago, AshtonG666 said:

Sorry, didn't realise the job police are manning the forums

Wasn't having a pop. Just saying she has **** all to do with the players and I doubt they watch her streams (the siblings stream horror games and COD mainly).

25 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I'm sure you're right but it'll be interesting to see what happens if we get to a refund scenario again, which as we definitely won't be going to the early games and the talk of a 2nd wave of Covid is almost a certainty, is very likely. 

The difference in asking for refunds as opposed to Robins T.V. could be huge between a big name appointment and Holden 

Big difference between gobbing off and actually doing it. I just find it pathetic, so-called supporters not giving the guy a chance, and seemingly oblivious to the Global crisis. I’m pretty sure that has played a major part in this, particularly after the spectator trials were put on hold. 
It might seem disappointing, but now is the time to support your Club, and support football as a whole. A lot of fans risk losing their Club completely, which puts this into perspective. 

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Accusing the Lansdown's of lacking ambition beggars belief. You don't pour the millions that SL has put into the club building a Premier League quality ground and training facility if you lack ambition to get to the PL. I don't particularly want Holden as our next head coach but if he's appointed it won't be because of a lack of ambition or as the mythical cheap option but because in these extraordinary times he's seen as right for the job. If appointed it might be on a short term contract until the country and football are back to normal. We also have no idea whatsoever of how the interviews with other candidates have gone or what there demands are fir taking the job, which given the current circumstances may be totally unrealistic. Getting to the PL is the ambition but not the be all and end all. I want a club that's still around to support,which may not be the case for some in the years ahead. 

Yup. How dare we criticise the wonderful Lansdown family - we should worship the ground they walk on.

1 minute ago, Clevedon Red said:

Roy De Alien still not giving up on Hughton.

I think we're all clinging on to Kid in the Riot's theory now and hoping an appointment is contingent on the Fulham result...

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

I always said we shouldn’t have got rid of Lee Johnson ....

I'd be really disappointed if Holden takes over and feel it's a huge missed opportunity but I would still say he'll be an upgrade on LJ for two key reasons.

Firstly, Holden showed with his 5 games in charge that he could get us playing decent, more fluid football in a system that seemed to suit the players. I'm a big fan of 3-5-2 with our squad and Holden quickly switched to this on taking over. I wasn't impressed with his unorthodox use of Weimann in centre mid but with Walsh and Morrell to come into the mix that system could work well going into the new season. One of LJ's great frustrations for me especially post signing Wells (and especially post lockdown) was a lack of continuity in formation, style and line up - sometimes it was hard trying to work out what his plan even was for how we were going to score goals (Afobe left wing with no creative mids or Eliasson in the team v Sheff Wed for example)! - I think all this will change under Holden and I think that consistency will benefit the team massively.

Secondly, I have no evidence to back this up other than the usual info from Gregor and from little bits and pieces from interviews from ex-pros who have played under LJ (such as Wilbraham etc) but I get the impression Holden will be a better man manager than LJ, an area i get the impression let LJ down over his time here. It's often said Holden gels well with the players, of course that could all change when given the number 1 job, and his coaching style seems to be well respected so I just feel he may get more out of the players than LJ did.

He's far from an inspiring choice but I'd support him 100% and would still prefer him to someone like a Flynn etc or LJ having continued in the role.

My biggest frustration is if Holden was the right man to take us forward, surely this would have been apparent very early on after LJ's sacking if not before, so why has it taken so long for him to be appointed? If he's been appointed 3/4 weeks ago we'd surely be in a much better position as a club gearing up for preseason starting next week.

Tinnion, Millen, and now Holden. *sigh* I suppose we could add LJ as a cheap option and employing a mate as well. 

At least we firmly know where the Lansdown's stand now. Mid table mediocrity at best is what they are happy with. Just dont listen to the bullshit that comes out of the Lansdown's mouths when they bang on about playoffs, premier league etc etc. Cus thats all it is. Bullshit. That is very much evident now. 

8 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Accusing the Lansdown's of lacking ambition beggars belief. You don't pour the millions that SL has put into the club building a Premier League quality ground and training facility if you lack ambition to get to the PL. I don't particularly want Holden as our next head coach but if he's appointed it won't be because of a lack of ambition or as the mythical cheap option but because in these extraordinary times he's seen as right for the job. If appointed it might be on a short term contract until the country and football are back to normal. We also have no idea whatsoever of how the interviews with other candidates have gone or what there demands are fir taking the job, which given the current circumstances may be totally unrealistic. Getting to the PL is the ambition but not the be all and end all. I want a club that's still around to support,which may not be the case for some in the years ahead. 

You can have all the facilities you want. If you don’t put the money into the best manager possible you’ll never get to where you want . 

Just now, WirralRobin said:

I'd be really disappointed if Holden takes over and feel it's a huge missed opportunity but I would still say he'll be an upgrade on LJ for two key reasons.

Firstly, Holden showed with his 5 games in charge that he could get us playing decent, more fluid football in a system that seemed to suit the players. I'm a big fan of 3-5-2 with our squad and Holden quickly switched to this on taking over. I wasn't impressed with his unorthodox use of Weimann in centre mid but with Walsh and Morrell to come into the mix that system could work well going into the new season. One of LJ's great frustrations for me especially post signing Wells (and especially post lockdown) was a lack of continuity in formation, style and line up - sometimes it was hard trying to work out what his plan even was for how we were going to score goals (Afobe left wing with no creative mids or Eliasson in the team v Sheff Wed for example)! - I think all this will change under Holden and I think that consistency will benefit the team massively.

Secondly, I have no evidence to back this up other than the usual info from Gregor and from little bits and pieces from interviews from ex-pros who have played under LJ (such as Wilbraham etc) but I get the impression Holden will be a better man manager than LJ, an area i get the impression let LJ down over his time here. It's often said Holden gels well with the players, of course that could all change when given the number 1 job, and his coaching style seems to be well respected so I just feel he may get more out of the players than LJ did.

He's far from an inspiring choice but I'd support him 100% and would still prefer him to someone like a Flynn etc or LJ having continued in the role.

My biggest frustration is if Holden was the right man to take us forward, surely this would have been apparent very early on after LJ's sacking if not before, so why has it taken so long for him to be appointed? If he's been appointed 3/4 weeks ago we'd surely be in a much better position as a club gearing up for preseason starting next week.

There is always a "New Manager" bounce and as much as he isn't new to the club, his ideas and ability to have control over formations etc would have given him and the players a lift

Not only that they perked up as LJ had gone as it looked like they had stopped playing for him and his time was up

36 minutes ago, bris red said:

At least we will know where we stand as a club. Steve Lansdown please please stop lieing to our fans - you don’t want Premier league football and never have done.

Why wouldn’t he? Does he not want the club to make money rather then subsidise it with his own each year?

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

Tinnion, Millen, and now Holden. *sigh* I suppose we could add LJ as a cheap option and employing a mate as well. 

At least we firmly know where the Lansdown's stand now. Mid table mediocrity at best is what they are happy with. Just dont listen to the bullshit that comes out of the Lansdown's mouths when they bang on about playoffs, premier league etc etc. Cus thats all it is. Bullshit. That is very much evident now. 

Especially after they’ve seen the impact and difference a top quality coach made to the rugby team

If Holden is appointed just remember who appointed him. It wasn’t Dean himself and he had every right to attend interview to try and secure a job that sets his family up for life. Every one of us would have done the same.

If it goes tits up just consider it was the three wise men making the appointment and if you need to vent your anger do so at the right people.

Just now, AshtonG666 said:

There is always a "New Manager" bounce and as much as he isn't new to the club, his ideas and ability to have control over formations etc would have given him and the players a lift

Not only that they perked up as LJ had gone as it looked like they had stopped playing for him and his time was up

This is my point really though. Like you say the players seemed to have stopped playing for LJ so the worst of all options would have been LJ cluelessly carrying on.

Just now, Johnr1986 said:

In disbelief at what a terrible appointment this is, and angry as a fan you just have to accept this just so disappointed 

There hasn't been an appointment yet, this is still a rumour just like all the rest over the past 5 weeks

It's picking up pace, but a fortnight ago the papers suggested Hughton was almost a done deal and the ink was drying on the contract before it was announced

Just now, Numero Uno said:

If Holden is appointed just remember who appointed him. It wasn’t Dean himself and he had every right to attend interview to try and secure a job that sets his family up for life. Every one of us would have done the same.

If it goes tits up just consider it was the three wise men making the appointment and if you need to vent your anger do so at the right people.

Exactly right. I reckon Holden's a really good bloke. He's innocent here. 

I just don't think we should appoint him.

Let’s be honest, the meltdown here is completely the clubs own making. If they wanted Holden, they should have done it straight away. Sure there would have been some ‘cheap option’ comments but maybe more understandable based on COVID, but to take 5 weeks of radio silence with people getting more annoyed with being linked with quality managers only to end up with the assistant manager of a failed (already criticised) team, has lit the fire. 
I would expect the club to now move quickly to confirm whoever is going to be in charge even just to quieten down Jon Lansdowns twitter notifications 

Archived