IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, M.D said:

My Brighton mates are laughing at me saying 'Who, the guy who puts the cones out?'

As much as that made me :laugh:, I'll forgive them for thinking that

It's mad we have gone from Gerrard to Hughton and some other high profile names, too what you have said, the cone guy hahahah - Only true at City, absolutely crazy!

1 minute ago, Dredd said:

Let’s be honest, the meltdown here is completely the clubs own making. If they wanted Holden, they should have done it straight away. Sure there would have been some ‘cheap option’ comments but maybe more understandable based on COVID, but to take 5 weeks of radio silence with people getting more annoyed with being linked with quality managers only to end up with the assistant manager of a failed (already criticised) team, has lit the fire. 
I would expect the club to now move quickly to confirm whoever is going to be in charge even just to quieten down Jon Lansdowns twitter notifications 

Exactly right - and the club would be in a much better position as Holden could have sorted out all the out of contract players, made decisions on Fam and Eliasson and started on the summer recruitment. Really makes no sense at all leaving it this long.

1 minute ago, AshtonG666 said:

As much as that made me :laugh:, I'll forgive them for thinking that

It's mad me have gone from Gerrard to Hughton and some other high profile names, too what you have said, the cone guy hahahah - Only true at City, absolutely crazy!

I'm actually contemplating whether or not I'd prefer Robbie Fowler. It's a sad state of affairs that I need to have such thoughts, but I'm struggling to choose Holden.

19 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Accusing the Lansdown's of lacking ambition beggars belief. You don't pour the millions that SL has put into the club building a Premier League quality ground and training facility if you lack ambition to get to the PL. I don't particularly want Holden as our next head coach but if he's appointed it won't be because of a lack of ambition or as the mythical cheap option but because in these extraordinary times he's seen as right for the job. If appointed it might be on a short term contract until the country and football are back to normal. We also have no idea whatsoever of how the interviews with other candidates have gone or what there demands are fir taking the job, which given the current circumstances may be totally unrealistic. Getting to the PL is the ambition but not the be all and end all. I want a club that's still around to support,which may not be the case for some in the years ahead. 

Means the absolute equilivant of **** all when you dont spend on the position that counts.

Its like me buying a vintage airctaft when I dont have a fudging pilots license.

Give a wash, look at it.

But it goes nowhere. Complete stupidity.

5 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

You can have all the facilities you want. If you don’t put the money into the best manager possible you’ll never get to where you want . 

So of course if he's not your choice of manager he's not the best one. If you're one of those who wants to walk away if Holden is appointed, then do so, nobody's going to shed any tears. People pay their money and make their choice. All I know is that I've never been the type to go home with the ball if I can't be captain, and whoever is appointed will get my support while they're at the club. 

If fans are not allowed into the ground next season then our opinion is perhaps considered irrelevant .

A Holden appointment would have usually involved the negative factor of Potentially creating a very hostile atmosphere and a decrease in ticket sales but if there’s no one there Anyway maybe fan opinion has been considered an irrelevant factor. Holden on a 1 year deal to steer us through these strange times when investment may be non existent may make sense to Lansdown unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, WirralRobin said:

Exactly right - and the club would be in a much better position as Holden could have sorted out all the out of contract players, made decisions on Fam and Eliasson and started on the summer recruitment. Really makes no sense at all leaving it this long.

I honestly think the club have tried to bring in a number of higher profile and more expensive options but have failed to get them over the line, so with a short pre-season coming up, they have had to potentially go with Holden

1 minute ago, Notbarrymanc said:

He’s not even the cheap option. Keeping LJ would have been the cheap option. Now we’re paying for LJ and DH but only getting the services of DH ?

At least LJ was a fairly cheap option in the first place...

He’s not even the cheap option. Keeping LJ would have been the cheap option. Now we’re paying for LJ and DH but only getting the services of DH ?

Maybe Holden was pulling the strings behind the scenes and was the brains behind the LJ and DH partnership

And using the same cones I'm afraid

Just now, AshtonG666 said:

I honestly think the club have tried to bring in a number of higher profile and more expensive options but have failed to get them over the line, so with a short pre-season coming up, they have had to potentially go with Holden

It's an interesting one isn't it. Gerrard - always seemed an unrealistic option. Hughton - you'd understand if he turned us down to hold out for a Bournemouth type role

It's Cook that interests me most, I think we'd all say he'd be a better option than Holden and definitely seems a very realistic appointment too. I suppose it could have been something as simple as him not wanting to move back down south or wanting a break post Wigan but it's frustrating nonetheless! 

Only at Bristol City would they aim so rediculously for an employed, unproven former England player, only to end up with the grossly under-qualified, second in command from a managerial tenure deemed not good enough. 

‘New stadium, new training ground, billionaire owner, cup run, premiership side in waiting’ whatever. 

This is farcical. And it has the potential to set the club back years in its attempt to not make us outwardly look like the also rans we have been for so long. What an absolute shambles. 

I cannot fathom that they’d be this inept. Please prove me wrong #announcepochettino

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

"Though a late switch for another candidate was not entirely ruled out by club sources on Tuesday, Holden is expected to clinch the position over the next days unless there is a sudden change of heart by the City board"

"That is not expected however, with City looking to give several younger players a chance next season, with little recruitment to happen and few signings to be made"

Surely has to be the most depressing sentences in Bristol Citys history.

1 minute ago, Henry said:

And Cole Skuse replacing his role as Assistant Head Coach ??

I’m hoping City are using the same trick to flush out a mole, like when that poster over here was convinced we were signing Derek Riordan.

Why are we obsessed with ex players?! 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

It depends on what going wrong means. 

Relegation, yep certainly gone wrong.

Playing youth and ending up mid table playing good football and being more ready to challenge the following season. I'd take that as long as its good to watch, youth developing etc.

I agree.  I think any new appointee would have wanted a sizeable budget and a commitment from the Club to have gone for seasoned professionals.  Cook has a good eye for a player but he also spent quite a bit of cash at the start of the season at Wigan.  If he isn't given the green light to do  then you take away the tools that make him successful so there is no logic in appointing him.

If the circumstances mean we have to rely on youth and the academy and some astute trading with proceeds from Diedhiou and Elliasson then it's much better to have someone who knows the up and coming existing talent and is liked by the players. Basically someone who is willing to operate this way. Unity and shared visions within the Club will bring more success than someone who is clashing with MA and JL as they want to splash the cash.

We've all heard there is some exciting talent coming through the academy.  For me it would be an exciting season to see that talent given a gradual introduction alongside the likes of Walsh & Morrell.  Would the likes of Cameron Pring as back-up for Dalsilva be so much more disappointing than a new external candidate manager forking out millions as we did for the likes of Jack Hunt?

I think it would be an exciting season with the potential of seeing new talent given a chance with an attacking and consistent formation under Holden compared to one of containment and confusion under LJ who lost his way for some odd reason.

If Dean Holden is appointed then obviously his character is 'good cop' but he seems an excellent man manager and that should work well in the modern game - especially with younger players.  Any new appointments to his backroom staff will be important.  If it happens, I'll be looking forward to next season with enthusiasm and expectation of seeing some good football and emerging talent given a chance.

15 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

You can have all the facilities you want. If you don’t put the money into the best manager possible you’ll never get to where you want . 

That's all right then. SL can sell off Ashton Gate and we'll groundshare with the SAGS and appoint Guardiola on £30m with a £50m bonus if he gets us to the PL. 

2 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

"Though a late switch for another candidate was not entirely ruled out by club sources on Tuesday, Holden is expected to clinch the position over the next days unless there is a sudden change of heart by the City board"

"That is not expected however, with City looking to give several younger players a chance next season, with little recruitment to happen and few signings to be made"

Oh I don't know.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/09/20/the-story-of-bristol-citys-three-relegations-in-747-days/

Screenshot_20200804-112009.png

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Potentially the right man. Let's see.

I'll never stop supporting City but I drifted away under both Tins and Millen and, personally, I reckon the same will happen again if this is confirmed. Which for someone who was at Preston and Stoke last season is a pity. I enjoy being enthusiastic about the club!

City currently have £1000 from us in the bank against next seasons season tickets...with absolutely no communication on what that buys us...to justify to the rest of the family spending that kind of money requires a level of enthusiasm. Appointing Dean Holden, after raising expectations, would be remarkably deflating!

44 minutes ago, bris red said:

Surely the board can see appointing Holden will cause huge waves in the fanbase - are they that out of touch with us that they cannot see that? Or do they just not care? Honestly I think this appointment will be received so negatively by 90% of our fans, it will be toxic.

Why do you think they are waiting so long?

5 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

I feel physically sick

Archived