IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

"Though a late switch for another candidate was not entirely ruled out by club sources on Tuesday, Holden is expected to clinch the position over the next days unless there is a sudden change of heart by the City board"

"That is not expected however, with City looking to give several younger players a chance next season, with little recruitment to happen and few signings to be made"

Surely has to be the most depressing sentences in Bristol Citys history.

That just reeks of expect the next or after that seasons to be lower mid table LJ football 

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

I'll never stop supporting City but I drifted away under both Tins and Millen and, personally, I reckon the same will happen again if this is confirmed. Which for someone who was at Preston and Stoke last season is a pity. I enjoy being enthusiastic about the club!

City currently have £1000 from us in the bank against next seasons season tickets...with absolutely no communication on what that buys us...to justify to the rest of the family spending that kind of money requires a level of enthusiasm. Appointing Dean Holden, after raising expectations, would be remarkably deflating!

I'll be there. I always am. No matter how crap we are.

SOD was the person who really made me have to think about whether I wanted to buy another S/T, particularly as I was based in London and it was tough to make every match due to my work schedule.

I'll be there when we - eventually - return to the stands. But i'll be disappointed and downbeat and expect absolutely zero from the season if Holden is in the hot seat.

But, like a lot of others, I may boo if it all goes horribly wrong - as I firmly suspect it will. 

11 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Only at Bristol City would they aim so rediculously for an employed, unproven former England player, only to end up with the grossly under-qualified, second in command from a managerial tenure deemed not good enough. 

‘New stadium, new training ground, billionaire owner, cup run, premiership side in waiting’ whatever. 

This is farcical. And it has the potential to set the club back years in its attempt to not make us outwardly look like the also rans we have been for so long. What an absolute shambles. 

I cannot fathom that they’d be this inept. Please prove me wrong #announcepochettino

Let's suppose Holden get the job, it turns out to be too big a challenge for him and halfway through the season is failing miserably. What happens then? Surely we can't afford to pay three managers simultaneously!

5 minutes ago, Yozzarian said:

So we are saving money and going for youth instead of spending money and going for experience and a Prem push. Depressing as hell. Covid times? The board?  Either way, next season will not be what I had hoped for and my enthusiasm has been stripped.  

So why not apoint someone with experience of managing on a budget with an eye for a player like Paul Cook, not someone who has managed Oldham for a handful of games. The fanbase will rightly be furious.

According to Gregor, DH is on holiday and will be announced in the next few days

IF true, I am totally and utterly gutted. What a pathetic sign of intent.

We've gone from Gerrard to DH and now start making noises about very few signings 

Why on earth would we appoint a manager with zero experience of leading a team on a permanent basis in one of the most competitive leagues in the world??

I don't blame DH for going for the job. Who wouldn't want the pay day. But SL and MA, hang your heads. This is the most deflated I've felt for a very long time.

You have no clue what city fans want and need, we've been through thick and thin and just wanted someone we could feel excited about. Instead, we're now likely to get LJ's second I'm command!!! How on earth does that make sense?

How does DH attract big names? Or inspire our better players to stay?

If Holden gets the gig, I am lost for words. I don't believe any other club with serious intentions would take a punt of this magnitude on a manger with nothing in his locker, other than seeing how LJ did it 

Total and utter madness. Not DH fault, the board are simply not fit for purpose 

Just now, City 62 said:

So it's taken four and a half weeks to decide that the best coach out there, was already a coach at city. Wow , what a joke

Likely to be down to failed negotiations with various other coachs, otherwise yes they should have picked DH straight away as all the finance talk and Covid has been there since LJ was sacked

30 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Big difference between gobbing off and actually doing it. I just find it pathetic, so-called supporters not giving the guy a chance, and seemingly oblivious to the Global crisis. I’m pretty sure that has played a major part in this, particularly after the spectator trials were put on hold. 
It might seem disappointing, but now is the time to support your Club, and support football as a whole. A lot of fans risk losing their Club completely, which puts this into perspective. 

Absolutely it’s no good burying our heads in the sand. LJ got us close to the play offs but not over the line so tweaking what we have rather than changing everything by bringing in a Coach with a different philosophy and throwing away 5 years of progress makes sense. Appointing Holden would be a brave decision. Time will tell if it’s a stupid decision or not.

We’re Bristol City,

This is who we are, don’t let it get you down. This is our premiership and every now and again we play a few seasons in it before dipping back to div 3 and causing mayhem in provincial/market towns up and down the country.

It’s in our DNA. 

We've never really believed we’re anything more.

Bring on Chesterfield away!

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

Let's suppose Holden get the job, it turns out to be too big a challenge for him and halfway through the season is failing miserably. What happens then? Surely we can't afford to pay three managers simultaneously!

But when we inevitably appoint Jamie Mac after Holden is given the boot, it'll be cheap wages. 

42 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It depends on what going wrong means. 

Relegation, yep certainly gone wrong.

Playing youth and ending up mid table playing good football and being more ready to challenge the following season. I'd take that as long as its good to watch, youth developing etc.

I'm pretty sure even LJ could have achieved that but I thought our ambition was Promotion - hence why LJ was sacked. Therefore anything less than top 6 next season is failure, surely?

Archived