IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, 054123 said:

We’re Bristol City,

This is who we are, don’t let it get you down. This is our premiership and every now and again we play a few seasons in it before dipping back to div 3 and causing mayhem in provincial/market towns up and down the country.

It’s in our DNA. 

We've never really believed we’re anything more.

Bring on Chesterfield away!

My god, you're right. We are heading back to a nothing status again 

Hope SL is happy with this choice when we get 15,000 each week at best

1 minute ago, 054123 said:

We’re Bristol City,

This is who we are, don’t let it get you down. This is our premiership and every now and again we play a few seasons in it before dipping back to div 3 and causing mayhem in provincial/market towns up and down the country.

It’s in our DNA. 

:laugh: sad but true. With a bullshitter as an owner. 

31 minutes ago, bris red said:

Yup. How dare we criticise the wonderful Lansdown family - we should worship the ground they walk on.

You're free to criticise the Lansdown's but do so in an area makes sense. If you think SL has too much control, or that his son being chairman is an act of nepotism that could be a valid opinion but the shot that they lack ambition was far closer to the corner flag than it was the goal. Without SLs money this club would still be wallowing in obscurity rather than being a recognised championship player. Had he decided to walk away and call in the debts we owed him we may not be in existence now. 

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

I'm sure you're right but it'll be interesting to see what happens if we get to a refund scenario again, which as we definitely won't be going to the early games and the talk of a 2nd wave of Covid is almost a certainty, is very likely. 

The difference in asking for refunds as opposed to Robins T.V. could be huge between a big name appointment and Holden 

Option 4 this time, no question for me - I haven’t felt this underwhelmed since Coppell left 

1 minute ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Ive just GOT to see the Club explain this one away

That's going to be the best bit of this whole thing. Ashton can't say with any credibility that Holden is the first choice and outstanding candidate because nobody, not even himself, believes that.

1 minute ago, Bedred31 said:

Love the Bristol Posts “City embarking on a new chapter” angle. Do they realise how ironic that sounds, when it seems like we’re doomed to re- read Chapter 1 ad infinitum.

Geemacgees latest tweet is also a piece of sickening sycophancy. 

7 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'll never stop supporting City but I drifted away under both Tins and Millen and, personally, I reckon the same will happen again if this is confirmed. Which for someone who was at Preston and Stoke last season is a pity. I enjoy being enthusiastic about the club!

City currently have £1000 from us in the bank against next seasons season tickets...with absolutely no communication on what that buys us...to justify to the rest of the family spending that kind of money requires a level of enthusiasm. Appointing Dean Holden, after raising expectations, would be remarkably deflating!

If you buy a ticket for a gig, do you expect to be able to choose the set list?

Holden would be an unexpected choice but there may be very valid reasons for appointing him in thewe strange and financially turbulent times, and maybe it’s the clubs who splash the cash this summer (if there are any) who will live to regret it.  It may well be that in a year’s time financial health will matter a lot more than League position, and if anyone is likely to get this right it’s Steve Lansdown, because he has spent his whole career in financial forecasting and planning and seems to have been reasonably successful at it!  What is almost certainly true is that now is absolutely NOT the right time to try to buy yourself into the Premiership.

If we DO appoint Dean (and I have no idea whether that will happen) I would look forward to more young players being brought through and a real sense of building for the future on the basis of homegrown talent.  If that costs us a few positions then so be it, but I think it could be entertaining and I would not expect us to be threatened by relegation.  Who knows, in Holden we might uncover a gem.

If it happens, I would ask those already threatening to tear up their season tickets to give the man, and the club, a chance.  We are in unprecedented times, and an internal appointment just might turn out to be the wisest move.

6 minutes ago, 054123 said:

We’re Bristol City,

It’s in our DNA. 

There is one small ground for optimism.

Sheffield Wednesday will be starting on minus 12. Who know how many other clubs could be starting on negative points as well- this should at least give us a headstart with respect to the relegation zone!

1 minute ago, Cardy said:

So it seems that our owner really is only really interested in success on the rugby pitch. Absolute disgrace.

Misleading tbh, given the sheer differences between football and rugby finances.

19 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

My god, you're right. We are heading back to a nothing status again 

Hope SL is happy with this choice when we get 15,000 each week at best

15k! I mean this with respect, but are you a younger fan? 

Im too young to remember 2/3k in the early eighties, but even during the nineties I remember 7/8k at home for a league match. ?

let alone football league trophy etc.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

.A 12 month contract and a willingness to play some of our promising young players, I'd be okay with that.

Thing is, IIRC Massengo (for example) got zero minutes in what were 5 meaningless games with DH in charge. Might mean nothing, but diesn’t Suggest a commitment to youth. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There is one small ground for optimism.

Sheffield Wednesday will be starting on minus 12. Who know how many other clubs could be starting on negative points as well- this should at least give us a headstart with respect to the relegation zone!

Trouble is Sheffield Wednesday have to play us twice next season so really it's minus 6.

24 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

"Though a late switch for another candidate was not entirely ruled out by club sources on Tuesday, Holden is expected to clinch the position over the next days unless there is a sudden change of heart by the City board"

"That is not expected however, with City looking to give several younger players a chance next season, with little recruitment to happen and few signings to be made"

Surely has to be the most depressing sentences in Bristol Citys history.

That bit isn't a huge surprise- or even a terrible thing. Vyner has done okay towards the end of the season, Moore, Walsh and Morrell all will deserve a good crack- and the first one shouldn't have been loaned out anyway, the last two had successful seasons- so far so okay. O'Leary can still come into contention. Our squad isn't that bad...under the right direction...

...However it has to be under an experienced or good manager- a better and more credible manager than Holden is absolutely needed!

1 minute ago, Southport Red said:

Thing is, IIRC Massengo (for example) got zero minutes in what were 5 meaningless games with DH in charge. Might mean nothing, but diesn’t Suggest a commitment to youth. 

He was playing for himself. He wanted the role 

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

If you buy a ticket for a gig, do you expect to be able to choose the set list?

Nope, but if I'm promised a showstopping act, maybe even a legend...and get the support act of a band that wasn't much cop and were here last week...I might have cause for disappointment.

I appreciate your optimism. People were similarly optimistic when Keith Millen was appointed.

6 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Im too young to remember 2/3k in the early eighties, but even during the nineties I remover 7/8k at hone ?

It's worth noting of course that even in the 1990s attendances at a lot of clubs, lot of levels took a while to return to say pre late 1970s-mid 1980s here.

If you look at average historic attendances it's quite interesting- not as well attended as I thought or assumed it would be for decent chunks of the 1990s!

That said, who knows how Covid will affect that- both health risk wise and economically!

Just now, JonDolman said:

No, true. 

I am thinking more Walsh, Morrell, Moore. Maybe others if they look ready.

Massengo did seem to get much worse and hopefully he can come back ready next season.

I don't blame Holden for not giving him a go in those final games. Hopefully he has a chance next season.

Are you actually in favour of this appointment Jon?

5 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Im too young to remember 2/3k in the early eighties, but even during the nineties I remover 7/8k at hone ?

I'm not too young to remember those days - I think the low was a midweek cup match, and low 2000s...when you could hear the players almost as clearly as you can hear them now!

Archived