IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I REALLY don't want Dean Holden as manager. I think it's a massive cop out by the club, I think he was a part of the problem having worked so closely with LJ for so long and this would be a major disappointment given the potential managers available. For once there seemed several good candidates willing and available. I think another big kick in the teeth is that Bristol Rugby club appears to be going places. Great coach and excellent recruitment. I'm not suggesting we can attract or afford the Pat Lam equivalent but it's evident what a difference a respected and proven top coach has made.

All that said, I think it's important to remember that if chosen, it's not Dean Holden's fault that he's been given the job. I've nothing against him personally, he comes across as a really decent guy. He's just somebody who has taken an opportunity and I really hope he proves me wrong. Any blame should be firmly directed at the hierarchy, not Dean Holden or the players. 

So the football club planted an elaborate ruse via the medium of, amongst others, Gregor McGreggsface . The purpose being to guage fan opinion. Fan opinion was not altogether positive. I suggest we spend big on this one boss.

Mark Ashton 5.27pm Tuesday 004th August 2020

If GMcG is talking the truth the “plan” seems to be to hope that the likes of Massengo, Walsh, Morrell, Moore and one or two others step up to the plate next season and that we can get away with spending sweet fa in the grand scheme of things.

I can’t help think that we are literally looking to tread water next season, keep our current status and once gazillions of contracts (handed out by Mark Ashton) for players nowhere near the Matchday squad run out take things from there.

What I do know is that the combination of an inexperienced Manager with inexperienced players is not the recipe for having a tilt at promotion. Nothing like it.

If Dean Holden can keep us in this league and play a bit of half decent football next season he’s done a job in that scenario. I feel for the guy because he has been totally stitched up by the three wise men.

We are truly the second priority, at best, in the owners Bristol Sport ego trip if this appointment is made. However I wish Dean the very best of luck........he’ll need it.

I'm beginning to think we're in danger of believing our self importance here. I enjoy being on OTIB for the banter, sometime useful information (eg FFP) and to express opinion but I don't believe for one minute it is representative of the total fan base. The overwhelming majority of my mates and those I attend home and away matches with wouldnt be seen dead on here. There wiil be some disappointment if Holden is appointed but the idea that there will be a walk out of biblical proportions is I think farcical. 

If Holden had been announced a week after LJs departure, ok I'd be disappointed, but at least the club could credibly claim that was the plan and he was the man to take the club forward. Now, after all this time, it looks like desperation. I'll support the team no matter what but I worry for us next season with Holden at the helm. 

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I'm beginning to think we're in danger of believing our self importance here. I enjoy being on OTIB for the banter, sometime useful information (eg FFP) and to express opinion but I don't believe for one minute it is representative of the total fan base. The overwhelming majority of my mates and those I attend home and away matches with wouldnt be seen dead on here. There wiil be some disappointment if Holden is appointed but the idea that there will be a walk out of biblical proportions is I think farcical. 

I’ve never seen so many fans against one appointment on all social media platforms, not just on here 

8 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'm not too young to remember those days - I think the low was a midweek cup match, and low 2000s...when you could hear the players almost as clearly as you can hear them now!

Empty Dolman is my main memory.

Go back and watch highlights on YouTube from the nineties. The Dolman is near enough empty, save the die hards in the middle block and the drunks in B block (of which I became ?)

Just now, old parkender said:

Very poor from Gregor, very poor. Seems like he knows which side his bread is buttered

4D73EAC7-0307-4187-9DE4-63817A216661.png

Terrible way of looking at. Different businesses, different roles, different in every way. Another way to set up the "in the present challenging circumstances Dean was the best man for the job" excuse. Which is a shite excuse.

Secondly, Gregor didn't report that we were "considering" Holden. He reported that the club was "leaning towards Dean Holden as their permanent head coach".

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

There is that of course, only a proportion- it's enjoyable this place and I come here for City news first but I think there would be a lot of dismay out there nonetheless.

4 minutes ago, old parkender said:

Very poor from Gregor, very poor. Seems like he knows which side his bread is buttered

4D73EAC7-0307-4187-9DE4-63817A216661.png

So far it is only Gregor reporting this.

Clutching at straws perhaps, but maybe this is media mangement by the club. Get him to break that story - cue outrage. Then appoint Paul Cook with Holden as assistant, fans largely content with that.

Could all be part of a strategy to manage fan expectations after Hughton has turned us down.

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I think you will be suprised. Our fanbase have seen us go down this road before with Millen and Tinnion and we all know how it ends.. it will run a lot deeper than just a bit of ‘disappointment’ IMO.

8 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

He is so full of shut,

Said taylor was going to Swindon or sunderland

He may well be full of shut (Carl Shutt what a wonderful struker) but I work with an old team mate of Matty"s ( they played together for North Leigh in Oxfordshire) and he was told that Matty had other offers but wanted to play for Oxford. 

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Clutching at straws perhaps, but maybe this is media mangement by the club. Get him to break that story - cue outrage. Then appoint Paul Cook with Holden as assistant, fans largely content with that.

Could all be part of a strategy to manage fan expectations after Hughton has turned us down.

I honestly don't think they have enough about them to come up with such a plan!

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Terrible way of looking at. Different businesses, different roles, different in every way. Another way to set up the "in the present challenging circumstances Dean was the best man for the job" excuse. Which is a shite excuse.

Secondly, Gregor didn't report that we were "considering" Holden. He reported that the club was "leaning towards Dean Holden as their permanent head coach".

It is all part of an effort to manage the fallout. This is poor from MacGregor, the two issues are not related.

Personally I think the board are playing a blinder here.

They were probably surprised at the reaction to the rumours of Paul Cook's appointment, so they bung a few quid on Holden to shorten his odds and spread a few rumours so the forum goes into meltdown

Then they announce Paul Cook and suddenly everybody is happy.

As I say bordering on genius.

Just now, Kibs said:

I honestly don't think they have enough about them to come up with such a plan!

My mind just can't process how we've allegedly been inundated with high calibre applications and then end up going for our assistant. It doesn't quite add up, and if it's the truth then it's simply incompetence. 

Definitely clutching at straws with my theory, but I hope it's true!

6 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Spot on. The Otib frenzy of delusion is not the reality in the real world 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

you're right. It's called managing expectations......just before the new manager is announced as Tony Pulis

Just now, Slack Bladder said:

Personally I think the board are playing a blinder here.

They were probably surprised at the reaction to the rumours of Paul Cook's appointment, so they bung a few quid on Holden to shorten his odds and spread a few rumours so the forum goes into meltdown

Then they announce Paul Cook and suddenly everybody is happy.

As I say bordering on genius.

True but all unnecessary and further annoying the fanbase. Has the relationship between club hierarchy and fanbase ever been so poor?

If it's Holden then it shows this club is going no where, since we haven't learned from Millen, Tinnion, Lumsden etc etc

Appointing Holden wouldn't inspire me to consider getting an ST, or even attending that many matches with a forever bristol membership.

For me, it's a massively uninspired, and regressive option.

If it's Cook then I'll be massively underwhelmed, but not angry.

If it's Hughton then I might have some hope for the future.

Can’t believe Holden is even being considered! Our owner claims to want Premiership football - he made the appointment needed for the egg chasers so it’s inconceivable that the football arm of bristol sport has to suffer another underwhelming journeyman at the helm!

Cant blame Covid for this one Steve, if you want to play with the big boys let’s have a proper go!  Honour your commitment to the fans!

47 minutes ago, AshtonG666 said:

I honestly think the club have tried to bring in a number of higher profile and more expensive options but have failed to get them over the line, so with a short pre-season coming up, they have had to potentially go with Holden

The club was inundated with applications. Allowing for the fact that the majority were people who had no hope of getting the job, there must have still been numerous managers on the list who could done a good job, but weren’t even interviewed. Many of these would not have been anywhere near as expensive as Steven Gerrard or Chris Hughton 

This really doesn't make sense to me

They must have sacked LJ with absolutely no plan at all as to who was to replace him

Thanking LJ for all his hard work but we need a man to take us to the next level

I think the board are bringing a lot of trouble on themselves, poor Deano will be fighting an uphill battle from the off.

Archived