IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, bris red said:

I think you will be suprised. Our fanbase have seen us go down this road before with Millen and Tinnion and we all know how it ends.. it will run a lot deeper than just a bit of ‘disappointment’ IMO.

In a way they're fortunate that nobody will be in the ground for some time, means any anger is kept online and they'll be praying that by the time fans are allowed back in numbers, things will be going well enough to have calmed the situation down.

1 minute ago, Slack Bladder said:

This really doesn't make sense to me

They must have sacked LJ with absolutely no plan at all as to who was to replace him

Thanking LJ for all his hard work but we need a man to take us to the next level

I think the board are bringing a lot of trouble on themselves, poor Deano will be fighting an uphill battle from the off.

The sacking of Johnson now points to a breakdown in relationship somewhere because as you say why sack him without a replacement agreed at least in principle?

Just now, Northern Red said:

In a way they're fortunate that nobody will be in the ground for some time, means any anger is kept online and they'll be praying that by the time fans are allowed back in numbers, things will be going well enough to have calmed the situation down.

Or it could go exactly the other way, if we hit a poor run of form with an uninspired manager at the helm, by the time fans can attend their first game back I imagine they would be right up for voicing their discontent.

2 minutes ago, bris red said:

I think you will be suprised. Our fanbase have seen us go down this road before with Millen and Tinnion and we all know how it ends.. it will run a lot deeper than just a bit of ‘disappointment’ IMO.

That would be the Tinnion appointment that many lauded at the time, until when it didn't work out the know it alls said the club got it the wrong way around and that Tinnion should have been Millens deputy. The fact is no on here has a clue how Holden will go given a preseason and a free hand for the season. There is no formula that tells you whether an ex player, whether good, bad or indifferent, will become a good manager. You have to give someone an opportunity and take it from there. 

Just now, OddBallJim said:

Or it could go exactly the other way, if we hit a poor run of form with an uninspired manager at the helm, by the time fans can attend their first game back I imagine they would be right up for voicing their discontent.

Well yeah, but that's the risk they're taking.

13 minutes ago, Yozzarian said:

It is all part of an effort to manage the fallout. This is poor from MacGregor, the two issues are not related.

One could argue they are absolutely related but in quite the opposite way you are referring to.. if Hughton is appointed then revenue will undoubtedly increase, that should be blindingly obvious, if Holden is appointed those jobs don't come back anytime soon and certainly long after they would come back with a high profile manager who raises the bar.

Appointing such a man is such a no brainer and I am certain the board have been trying to do that. I get the feeling they are exhausted and wanted to get a sense of the fallout if they throw the towel in.

Keep the pressure on people... No Holden, no Cook... Thanks very much. Hughton, Mick, Frank, some other high profile coach and the fans will rally round and be very positive.

Let's abandon the Holden thread too... Lock it.

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

That’s my biggest concern. Our “plan” is very much based on hope rather than actually being a plan. We are hoping the young un’s step up to the plate, hoping the guy in his first managerial role can steady the ship.

This feels like a massive role of the dice by someone who has form for doing so.

3 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Can’t believe Holden is even being considered! Our owner claims to want Premiership football - he made the appointment needed for the egg chasers so it’s inconceivable that the football arm of bristol sport has to suffer another underwhelming journeyman at the helm!

Cant blame Covid for this one Steve, if you want to play with the big boys let’s have a proper go!  Honour your commitment to the fans!

Agreed. What was the point of sacking Johnson, wasting 4 and a half weeks, conning the supporters and then appoint Johnson's assistant. Minimal experience and has won nothing. Our players needed a bl00dy good shake up and good clear out. Fresh ideas and tactics. A new direction. Not more of the same.

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

You have to give someone an opportunity and take it from there. 

Which would have been ok if they hadn't decided to go through a process of interviewing several others, chasing a 'name' that isn't interested and stating they wanted someone to take us to the next level. Why not have just appointed DH the day after LJ was booted out?

If the make Holden the new manager then that's one of the most disappointing moments in a long time at our club, it's like SL has decided he wants no more than bottom half of the championships at best, Holden was as much apart of our many problems last season as Lee, he needs to be removed from the club not put in charge, I guess all we can hope is he loses his first 10 games and they get rid of him before the damage is to much , it's a dark day for us if this is true

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

That would be the Tinnion appointment that many lauded at the time, until when it didn't work out the know it alls said the club got it the wrong way around and that Tinnion should have been Millens deputy. The fact is no on here has a clue how Holden will go given a preseason and a free hand for the season. There is no formula that tells you whether an ex player, whether good, bad or indifferent, will become a good manager. You have to give someone an opportunity and take it from there. 

What you can tell is that Hughton and Cook have managed teams in the football league that have won things and have experience of winning promotion. Holden has not. It is a ridiculous gamble.

23 minutes ago, old parkender said:

Very poor from Gregor, very poor. Seems like he knows which side his bread is buttered

4D73EAC7-0307-4187-9DE4-63817A216661.png

From the outside looking in, seems bizarre.

How can you try to appoint the likes of Hughton and Gerrard, knowing they would command big money, then say actually we need to cut costs with a cheaper managerial appointment.

Obviously as fans we have no idea what has been happening over recent months, as in the time prior to LJs departure and since. So whatever is decided we won’t ever know the full details behind the decision. We are left to rely upon media coverage and official announcements (when the time is right).

Making my own sense of the situation if DH is appointed I’d conclude:

1) He was not first choice

2) He may be in the role a relatively short time (depending on how things go) 

3) Other candidates did not fit our requirements, model, culture, etc

4) All things considered the decision to go with a known individual is underwhelming, safe and buys time

5) In the worst case scenario DH won’t succeed and will be replaced within six months

6) In the best case scenario DH excels and everyone is delighted.

44 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

I speak the absolute truth.

As a Johnson out man, long before this season started i might add , I’d rather Johnson at the helm than Holden.

What an absolutely suicidal appointment if he gets the job!

Anyone else feel the same?

Completely agree I would have preferred sticking with LJ. 

Can we bring LJ back? 

FFS Dean ******* Holden what an absolute shambles if he gets appointed. I remember when I felt gutted when Ryan Lowe was a favourite. Get him in, get Robins, get Cook, get Neil. Dean Holden has done nothing and will just be another yes man for Ashton and the Lansdown boys. 

Someone mentioned A cider with Jon Lansdown and that JL didn’t come across as an idiot. So I went back and listened. He doesn’t sound that sharp. He clearly runs a large portion of the club and that is the problem. It gets run off how he feels. He says it. Hell Dean Holden being appointed sounds pretty likely with what he says considering LJ is gone. We have a business guy running the club with a fan. 

I’d put my money on @Mr Popodopolous & @Davefevs running it better than it is right now. 

And yes I am dramatic but this Dean Holden nonsense really winding me up. The club has gone fishing and it has worked

2 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

One could argue they are absolutely related but in quite the opposite way you are referring to.. if Hughton is appointed then revenue will undoubtedly increase, that should be blindingly obvious, if Holden is appointed those jobs don't come back anytime soon and certainly long after they would come back with a high profile manager who raises the bar.

Appointing such a man is such a no brainer and I am certain the board have been trying to do that. I get the feeling they are exhausted and wanted to get a sense of the fallout if they throw the towel in.

Keep the pressure on people... No Holden, no Cook... Thanks very much. Hughton, Mick, Frank, some other high profile coach and the fans will rally out and be very positive.

Why if Hughton is appointed it is blindingly obvious that revenue will increase. We're not going to a game anytime soon and given the uncertainty ST are not going to go through the roof with his appointment. I certainly don't see City releasing a lot of Hughton themed merchandise for purchase from the online shop so where is this additional revenue stream coming from. 

59 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

That's all right then. SL can sell off Ashton Gate and we'll groundshare with the SAGS and appoint Guardiola on £30m with a £50m bonus if he gets us to the PL. 

Obviously one that’s available to us like oh I don’t know Chris Hughton . Just blindly backing the board 

1 minute ago, pnefcok said:

From the outside looking in, seems bizarre.

How can you try to appoint the likes of Hughton and Gerrard, knowing they would command big money, then say actually we need to cut costs with a cheaper managerial appointment.

Absolute farce really, but hey - we're Bristol City so that's par for the course for us every 4-5 years or so.

Archived