IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Why if Hughton is appointed it is blindingly obvious that revenue will increase. We're not going to a game anytime soon and given the uncertainty ST are not going to go through the roof with his appointment. I certainly don't see City releasing a lot of Hughton themed merchandise for purchase from the online shop so where is this additional revenue stream coming from. 

If Hughton is appointed, I'd definitely consider getting a season ticket again (have had a 4 year break after 14 years with an ST).

If it's Holden - no ST.

If it's Cook - no ST.

I'm probably not alone in this feeling/opinion. So I'd suggest extra-revenue means extra ticket sales (when it's safe for us to all go back to AG).

Doesn’t really sound like the ‘man to take us to the next level’ he was talking about. Zero credentials. That’ll take some justification. Holden would have to start the learning process from scratch, likely making costly mistakes that will see us keep falling short. Disappointed. If we rely on younger squad members it could undo all the hard work and see us regress 

6 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

That would be the Tinnion appointment that many lauded at the time, until when it didn't work out the know it alls said the club got it the wrong way around and that Tinnion should have been Millens deputy. The fact is no on here has a clue how Holden will go given a preseason and a free hand for the season. There is no formula that tells you whether an ex player, whether good, bad or indifferent, will become a good manager. You have to give someone an opportunity and take it from there. 

We are a Championship football club not the Dog and Duck Reserves where you can give anyone a chance and it doesn’t really matter.

Fans can see that the benefactor if this club is taking an unnecessary and quite frankly irresponsible gamble and are right to have concerns.

That said, Holden has my full support and if we end up at the wrong end of the table next season then he won’t be copping flak from me. Mid table and decent football will do me for next season because that’s the maximum sensible limit that expectations are now being set at.

1 hour ago, Dredd said:

Let’s be honest, the meltdown here is completely the clubs own making. If they wanted Holden, they should have done it straight away. Sure there would have been some ‘cheap option’ comments but maybe more understandable based on COVID, but to take 5 weeks of radio silence with people getting more annoyed with being linked with quality managers only to end up with the assistant manager of a failed (already criticised) team, has lit the fire. 
I would expect the club to now move quickly to confirm whoever is going to be in charge even just to quieten down Jon Lansdowns twitter notifications 

This is what makes me 100% certain that this was never the club’s plan.

In my opinion we’ll have spoken to a load of managers who aren’t prepared to work under Ashton. I reckon he has final say on transfers and has all along while LJ was here. This will have become apparent in talks and the likes of Cook, Hughton etc. have taken one look at it and run a mile. Holden, meanwhile, is happy to wear it as this will make him wealthier than he could have dreamed of a couple of months ago and presents him with a fantastic opportunity to make a mark that he wouldn’t get at any other Championship club.

Yes finances are going to be hammered due to COVID but this has been apparent for months now and every other club will be in the same situation. If the conditions were right I have no doubt at all that the likes of Cook would have come here. I’m just starting to think that Ashton and Lansdown have been the problem all along, not Johnson or anyone else. 

3 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

Gregor is saying Cole Skuse. could be part of the coaches if dean gets the job. Come on city what on earth are we doing. we need experience not inexperience people.  i am begining to think getting rid of lee was a complete waste of time. 

There is absolutely no point in putting Holden in charge with a back room staff of Jamie Max, Skuse and Ashley Williams - he will need a experienced person for guidance 

I always try to support the club in their decisions probably in blind faith sometimes but this appointment and more so the process of the appointment has been awful to say the least (if of course is true) I could of been way more receptive to the appointment due the loss of revenue if it was done weeks ago. Because atleast then we could of hit the ground running on the transfer business. I would of been disappointed either way but I can't stop but feel abit pissed off.

I can't just switch off and say I won't support the club because I will. Dean will get a chance with me but if things don't go right there's a risk of a very ugly exit and a feeling of a missed opportunity that the board will have to take full responsibility for.

7 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

From the outside looking in, seems bizarre.

How can you try to appoint the likes of Hughton and Gerrard, knowing they would command big money, then say actually we need to cut costs with a cheaper managerial appointment.

That’s how we roll. It’s happened with players also.

8 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

From the outside looking in, seems bizarre.

How can you try to appoint the likes of Hughton and Gerrard, knowing they would command big money, then say actually we need to cut costs with a cheaper managerial appointment.

It’s bizarre looking from the inside as well 

7 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

Gregor is saying Cole Skuse. could be part of the coaches if dean gets the job. Come on city what on earth are we doing. we need experience not inexperience people.  i am begining to think getting rid of lee was a complete waste of time. 

Gregor is just speculating on possibilities. He doesn’t know about Skuse. Read the article properly.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We are a Championship football club not the Dog and Duck Reserves where you can give anyone a chance and it doesn’t really matter.

Fans can see that the benefactor if this club is taking an unnecessary and quite frankly irresponsible gamble and are right to have concerns.

That said, Holden has my full support and if we end up at the wrong end of the table next season then he won’t be copping flak from me. Mid table and decent football will do me for next season because that’s the maximum sensible limit that expectations are now being set at.

We are a Championship club because Cotterill took us there and then LJ consolidated the position. Both of course were Lansdown appointments. 

Hi Gregor, Mark Ashton here. Can you tweet something like.... 

"A lot of redundancies were announced at Ashton Gate Stadium recently that seem to have been quickly forgotten. Pretty sure that the #BristolCity owners were criticised by many then. So to then criticise them for 'considering' an internal appointment now...?

1 hour ago, Ron Swanson said:

"Though a late switch for another candidate was not entirely ruled out by club sources on Tuesday, Holden is expected to clinch the position over the next days unless there is a sudden change of heart by the City board"

"That is not expected however, with City looking to give several younger players a chance next season, with little recruitment to happen and few signings to be made"

Surely has to be the most depressing sentences in Bristol Citys history.

Not really. Nowhere near

I am hoping that this is a smoke screen by the club, but got a bad feeling that it isn’t!

How can Lansdown go on record saying “LJ was removed as he couldn’t take us to the next level” and then appoint that persons assistant! Surely a businessman so highly regarded as him would not let that happen as he will be seen as a laughing stock!

It just shows that everything that we have been fed is just all pie in the sky, and they don’t have the ambition they say they do, Bristol will always be seen as a backwater football area. The club had a real chance this time to show ambition and if this is to be the case have royally messed it up!

I wondered if when the news breaks whether the club will be willing to transfer my season ticket money that was paid in full in February for the new season to a Bears rugby season ticket? At least then I might be able to watch a team with some real ambition!

I hate saying negative things about the club and always try to remain positive, but this news is so disappointing if true.

Archived