IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

People saying they will stop supporting the club because a certain manager might be appointed is embarrassing in the extreme. 

He’s not Trump FFS 

No it’s not. It’s a form of protest. Not about any particular manager, but how the football side of the club is being run.

2 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

I wonder if our owner/board members/staff look in and read this forum and can see this poll about Holden and just how many do not want him to become our new manager/coach?

Surely they would take note of this?

If DH has the job and fails i hate to think how many fans would stay away?

It could end up being a disaster for the club.

Just sacked a manager that split the fanbase, now to appoint a man the fanbase universally doesn't want. Good one, only City could make such a shambles of this.

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I just don't buy it.

I don't want to turn this thread into another covid thread. 

However, when LJ was sacked on 4th July the football industry was already looking at a very uncertain future. UK gov guidance on the return of "elite sport" at that time was not exactly positive. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the lockdown the sport was already fully aware that the return of fans for 2020/21 was far from guaranteed, and we'd almost certainly not be anywhere near seeing regular crowds of 20,000+ at AG. If that wasn't factored into discussions and plans from the very start, then the club's business acumen is far far lower than they purport it to be.

I dont think the sport was fully aware though. I honestly think the football authorities were purely driven by greed and money and hoping they could pack the stands asap to try to stop clubs collapsing. Since then I suspect there have been alot more discussions behind closed doors between clubs and authorities (as things have changed) and within the club itself, since the 4th July about what might be happening re next season and beyond.  A discussion about COVID or not - its changed football and the changes haven't stopped yet. We as fans cannot think it won't change things at our club re wages, signings etc.

Even within the last month we know more and things have changed again, e.g. potential second waves. 

Also, how do we know that various scenarios weren't factored in to plans from the very start and we've covered the bases responding to each scenario plan, e.g. interviewing the most experienced for the job based on best case scenario and least for the plan z?

Personally i'm comforted that the Landsdowns are very protective of this club to give it the best chance of survival. This isn't just about short term managers and pleasing the fans. This has to be about protecting City long term. 

2 minutes ago, BCFC81 said:

If he does get the job I hope he does a bit better than in his last 5 games, one of which was a difficult game against Hull who conceded 7 in the first half of the next game.

I don’t understand why everyone thinks he will give youth a chance he didn’t in any of his 5 games he had. Vyner only later because of injury and our youngest player Massengo couldn’t even get off the bench when we were crying out for something in the middle!

I respect your positive approach to this, and I try my best to be positive about this football club, but when (and I am hoping it it is not true) this does happy it is getting more and more difficult to swallow the Lansdown approach, which all just seems as though Lansdown Jnr is playing Football Manager but in real life!!!

Hull conceded 8 not 7

10 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Maybe he will, the club is at a fork in the road and this appointment is the wrong direction and tells you all you need about our true ambition. If confirmed it will be time for a much needed break and I am not alone. 

Yep. He could be really successful. Hope he is if he gets it. That said we sacked LJ because he wasn’t moving us forward and it was time we did. Appointing DH is a contradiction to that statement from a month ago. We get contradictions a lot with this club though

3 minutes ago, BCFC81 said:

If he does get the job I hope he does a bit better than in his last 5 games, one of which was a difficult game against Hull who conceded 7 in the first half of the next game.

I don’t understand why everyone thinks he will give youth a chance he didn’t in any of his 5 games he had. Vyner only later because of injury and our youngest player Massengo couldn’t even get off the bench when we were crying out for something in the middle!

I respect your positive approach to this, and I try my best to be positive about this football club, but when (and I am hoping it it is not true) this does happy it is getting more and more difficult to swallow the Lansdown approach, which all just seems as though Lansdown Jnr is playing Football Manager but in real life!!!

Did ok in what wasn’t the toughest 5 game stretch. And youth? Other than Dasilva he didn’t start anyone we own under 25. Well Vyner but because Baker was out and one game. Hell he would have built his case if he just played Massengo, Palmer, Vyner, Wollacott and had an academy lad or two on the 9 man bench. Guess what? He didn’t but that is why he is being considered? It is plain false just like the finance angle and covid. 

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Holden wont get the job. Where has this rubbish come from?

I wish I was this confident. Gregor McGregorface keeps piping up and who else do we listen to? 

I will go against the grain here a bit. I like DH. He conducted himself well in the games he was in charge. He fully backs himself and has the confidence in his own abilities. 

He completely changed everything from the moment he was given the reigns. It was more a statement up front that he wasn't listened to by LJ.

Someone in that backroom team is responsible in turning players like Brownhill, Reid, Bryan, Kelly and Webster etc to the players they are now. I am sure DH was a massive part of that. 

In an uncertain world, sometimes it's best to stick with what you have got. Last season whilst disappointing in the end, was not a disaster, we got close. 

It would be an underwhelming appointment, but MA/SL see him on a daily basis. Perhaps DH detailed where things went wrong and how he would have addressed them. That might just have been enough. 

It's a low risk, low cost appointment if it comes to pass. Next season will be one on consolidation. I fully expect teams and clubs implode, and whilst all around us is falling apart we might just be solid enough. 

Just my opinion, but the financial goal posts have definitely been adjusted during this process. In the 5 weeks that have passed, something big has changed and the whole process readjusted. 

We wait and see. 

I'm still not convinced Dean is happening - but it most likely means there is no class act on the way - just MA paving the way for fans acceptance of mediocrity. 

If it does however, it will go down as the most negative and uninspiring appointment I've seen our club make in 54 years. I'm sure if it happens Covid will get the blame, which I guess is a viable argument and one I could have accepted the morning after Lee left - not after a month of what may turn out to have been mostly ......

10 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Just sacked a manager that split the fanbase, now to appoint a man the fanbase universally doesn't want. Good one, only City could make such a shambles of this.

Arhhhh yes.. memories of the old beer advert... Only City can do this, because they reach the parts other clubs dare not go.

It's one helluva ruse if 'Mr High Profile' rocks up.

7 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

I'm still clinging on to the fact no other media outlet outside Bristol Live has said this appointment is imminent. 

They have all packed up and gone home for the boredom.

We won’t appoint him.

While MA has form, like giving CoD a four year deal (FFS), even he would realise it was a false saving. 

What agent in his right mind would want to bring his player to a Club where he knows his asset (the player) will be devalued and would stand little/no chance of improvement?

Even if MA tried to force it through in order to protect his own lofty position in the Cosy Club then Steve, as a money man, would see that his existing assets (the squad) would diminish in value and the cost of bringing in players with an unproven, inexperienced manager would rocket.

Not happening. 

Watched (and weeped) the Neil Warnock ’Boro interview today. Just what we needed - positivity, leadership a winner. A man with a plan. Would soon have sorted out those half-arsed players that we carry in the match day squad and would also rapidly see through the MA bullshit. 

We have had a golden opportunity to make a statement and cement ourselves as one of the divisions big boys but we will **** it with this.

an appointment like CH would have lifted the club, fans and showed the players just how serious this club is - wouldn’t be surprised to see a few exits if we appoint Holden

4 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

I will go against the grain here a bit. I like DH. He conducted himself well in the games he was in charge. He fully backs himself and has the confidence in his own abilities. 

He completely changed everything from the moment he was given the reigns. It was more a statement up front that he wasn't listened to by LJ.

Someone in that backroom team is responsible in turning players like Brownhill, Reid, Bryan, Kelly and Webster etc to the players they are now. I am sure DH was a massive part of that. 

In an uncertain world, sometimes it's best to stick with what you have got. Last season whilst disappointing in the end, was not a disaster, we got close. 

It would be an underwhelming appointment, but MA/SL see him on a daily basis. Perhaps DH detailed where things went wrong and how he would have addressed them. That might just have been enough. 

It's a low risk, low cost appointment if it comes to pass. Next season will be one on consolidation. I fully expect teams and clubs implode, and whilst all around us is falling apart we might just be solid enough. 

Just my opinion, but the financial goal posts have definitely been adjusted during this process. In the 5 weeks that have passed, something big has changed and the whole process readjusted. 

We wait and see. 

Not buying it Jon bit decently worded for you.

Covid may get the blame and maybe the LJ saying "we re-group and go again" will be dragged out by one of our leaders as we do indeed go again, but with DH round and around and around and around again...now whos not bought their ticket.

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yep. He could be really successful. Hope he is if he gets it. That said we sacked LJ because he wasn’t moving us forward and it was time we did. Appointing DH is a contradiction to that statement from a month ago. We get contradictions a lot with this club though

Did ok in what wasn’t the toughest 5 game stretch. And youth? Other than Dasilva he didn’t start anyone we own under 25. Well Vyner but because Baker was out and one game. Hell he would have built his case if he just played Massengo, Palmer, Vyner, Wollacott and had an academy lad or two on the 9 man bench. Guess what? He didn’t but that is why he is being considered? It is plain false just like the finance angle and covid. 

I wish I was this confident. Gregor McGregorface keeps piping up and who else do we listen to? 

Sorry that is what I meant, difficult should have been “difficult” I was trying to be sarcastic, they were not at all difficult especially as there was effectively nothing to play for! I don’t get the whole youth angle if that is the case!

Plus they can’t use the COVID angle either when the same owners are throwing money at the rugby club, surely if that is the excuse the money is all coming out of the one pot - which yes I know they are all separate, so it just doesn’t make any sense!

6 minutes ago, BCFC81 said:

Sorry that is what I meant, difficult should have been “difficult” I was trying to be sarcastic, they were not at all difficult especially as there was effectively nothing to play for! I don’t get the whole youth angle if that is the case!

Plus they can’t use the COVID angle either when the same owners are throwing money at the rugby club, surely if that is the excuse the money is all coming out of the one pot - which yes I know they are all separate, so it just doesn’t make any sense!

I just kind of added the bit about the 5 games. Nothing wrong with what you originally said?.  I quoted you more about the youth thing. 

Yea and plus they pursued Hughton and Gerrard which were never going to be cheap. 

Just feels like he’ll already be starting with a portion of the fanbase against him due to previous association. Why is it that the fans could see that this was finally the chance to have a proper refresh & create a true statement of intent & just inject some belief back into the fan base that they want to give it a bloody good go. 

Absolutely ridiculous decision if this happens.

” We want to be in the Premier League as soon as possible”  - bollocks!

We are looking at relegation not promotion.

DH did nothing, and I mean nothing in the games he had to suggest we will challenge.

”The players like him” that is part of the assistants job, to be the bridge between the HC and the dressing room.

Very very disappointed tonight.

10 minutes ago, BCFC81 said:

Chalk and cheese. The rugby costs a fraction of the soccer team. 

9 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

It’s all come from that absolute pleb of a journalist who has got absolutely nothing right over the last 4 weeks 

It was actually broken first by the journo Wayne Veysey on the platform below:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-40-yr-old-in-pole-position-to-land-bristol-city-job-after-twist/

That journo has worked for a few newspapers and primarily goal.com.

He also was the first to report on Zain Westbrooke going to the gas before our local rag jumped on it, seems like the same has happened again.

8 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

It’s all come from that absolute pleb of a journalist who has got absolutely nothing right over the last 4 weeks 

I don't think they know but the problem is, over the last 4 weeks, if anything, they/he seem to have had it more right than anyone. The national media reported Hughton was to get it, bookies stopped taking bets but they said it wasn't Hughton's yet. Cook went to being hot favourite but yet again it was the BEP who were first to cool it saying they believed nothing was agreed prior to his resignation. As much as I hate it, they may have it on the money. For the record, I'm still hoping @Kid in the Riot is right with his theory tho I am losing hope fast. 

Archived