IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, Onthefence said:

If he does get the job - and I hope he doesn't, then I suspect its because of a result of Covid-19. As we appear to be a club mindful of FFP and committed to improving our younger players. I can only assume that MA and SL and co are looking at keeping the club afloat long term while others may go into administration. Its a business after all, and so many companies will fail in the next 6-12 months on the back of this virus.

We have some great quality younger players who just need some air time to improve and gain confidence. We may go backwards initially but it could be a forward thinking move if this virus becomes part of our lives for years to come.

If that is the case, you can understand a bit as to where they are coming from, but then why wait 5 weeks to make the announcement?

Has it really changed that much in a week whilst Lansdown was pursuing Gerrard and trying to make him one of the highest paid managers in the league? 

I don’t know how we go from that situation to this?

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Nothing right?

He’s called Hughton, Cook and Gerrard correctly. Nationals said it was a done deal with Hughton but Gregor said it wasn’t - who was right?

Let’s have some examples of where he’s got it wrong please.

He has literally spent the last 4 weeks chopping and changing who is favourite. He hasn’t given us anything new . Keep making enough guesses and eventually you’ll get one right! 

And his latest tweet about fans criticising redundancies and then criticising an internal appointment is just laughable 

Apart from being woefully underqualified for the position, lacking any experience in a number one role, and being far too closely associated with a regime that was failing, my main issue with Holden is this: how the hell do you convince better players than we already have to come here with Holden in charge? What sort of message does it send out about our ambition?

He has no reputation in the game to speak of. Say what you like about LJ, but he was generally well known and well regarded within the wider football community as a progressive coach (rightly or wrongly); he has at least some standing in the game.

If you’re serious about promotion you’ve got to show it. No one wants to join a club treading water. I can’t see us going anywhere other than backwards.

If rumours/reports are to be believed and we appoint Holden.

Linked with Gerrard although no one really knows how far that went. Managers like Hughton and McCarthy putting their own name into the mix and yet we could end up with a guy in charge that was nearly as much as responsible for last seasons shit show as Johnson was.

How has that even happened???

Football and Rugby are worlds apart in terms of finances and I know little about Rugby, but from what I am told the Bears manager is the equivalent to Pep and some of the signings are the equivalent to Messi and Ronaldo. If true then it makes the handling of this managerial appointment even more embarrassing.

I’ve been without a season ticket going into the fourth season running and I think over that time I have never been more pleased with my choice than I am now.

I don’t know what the position on refunds for season tickets are but I would imagine there could be a fair few more requests.

Purely speculation at this point but the fact it’s even a possibility at this stage is a joke!

If it comes down to finances then I would also ask what the value in sacking LJ was only to replace him with his right hand man?

Rant over!

13 minutes ago, Onthefence said:

If he does get the job - and I hope he doesn't, then I suspect its because of a result of Covid-19. As we appear to be a club mindful of FFP and committed to improving our younger players. I can only assume that MA and SL and co are looking at keeping the club afloat long term while others may go into administration. Its a business after all, and so many companies will fail in the next 6-12 months on the back of this virus.

We have some great quality younger players who just need some air time to improve and gain confidence. We may go backwards initially but it could be a forward thinking move if this virus becomes part of our lives for years to come.

There may be sound financial reasons behind it but why then even bother to interview Hughton, who was always likely to be a costly option?

In the circumstances they are going to have a hell of a job spinning the news if it is Dean. Though Gregor has done a sterling job telling us at regular intervals how great the recruitment process has been nobody is going to believe Dean was the best candidate.

Sacking LJ and appointing DH would be strange (polite version).

He must have bought into LJ’s philosophy as his assistant so what is the point of appointing a disciple of LJ?

Or else his role of assistant was a complete sham, which doesn’t say much about DH’s strength of conviction.

Less than good either way.

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

He has literally spent the last 4 weeks chopping and changing who is favourite. He hasn’t given us anything new . Keep making enough guesses and eventually you’ll get one right! 

And his latest tweet about fans criticising redundancies and then criticising an internal appointment is just laughable 

Different people have been favourite at different times because the situation has been evolving.

He said we were pursuing Gerrard and he said he turned us down - correct.

He said we interviewed Hughton - correct, we assume.

He didn’t commit to Hughton when others did - correct

As far as I can tell he hasn’t made any spurious claims so I don’t really know what you’re going on about.

18 minutes ago, Onthefence said:

Coronavirus was around a few weeks ago when Johnson was sacked. Ok - LJ had taken us as far as he could, but he was also a (relatively) safe pair of hands. We'd be in for the standard winning runs, followed by losing runs, with a upper mid-table finish. 

Tbf if the virus was going to stop us signing someone decent, I'd rather keep the cash we paid to buy out the rest of LJs contract, give him another year and then shelled out on someone who can give us a reasonable shot at promotion season after next. 

19 minutes ago, Onthefence said:

If that’s the case then why publicly state he wanted a man to take us to the next level.

Publicly go after Steven Gerrard , interview Chris Hughton and Paul cook. Covid slipped his mind had it ? Also saying on national radio he got rid of LJ Because he failed to get us into the play offs and wanted prem football ASAP . 
If Holden is appointed and the journos don’t ask these question , then they’re a shambles. 

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

If it comes down to finances then I would also ask what the value in sacking LJ was only to replace him with his right hand man?

Absolutely. LJ had three years left on a £600k pa contract. If that was paid up in full, that’s £1.8m to get rid of him only to potentially replace him with his less experienced assistant? This appointment would not stand up to any scrutiny.

This is a false economy by the club. What they save on the staff appointments they will lose on season ticket sales merchandise etc.

People will vote with their feet and their wallets.

How the club can walk blindly into this appointment without the backing of 95% of fans is beyond me.

Surely if not Hughton then Cook or Neil - To go with unproven Holden and a group of largely untried young players at this level could just work, but my instinct tells me it's more likely to threaten our very presence in The Championship.

Wake up Ashton and The Lansdownes before it's too late - please!

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So he didn’t say news was from inside the club, as suggested elsewhere...so club still not leaking anything.

Quote from his latest piece on Bristol Live:

Though a late switch for another candidate was not entirely ruled out by club sources on Tuesday, Holden is expected to clinch the position over the next days unless there is a sudden change of heart by the City board.

First time I can recall him using that phrase.

Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

Different people have been favourite at different times because the situation has been evolving.

He said we were pursuing Gerrard and he said he turned us down - correct.

He said we interviewed Hughton - correct, we assume.

He didn’t commit to Hughton when others did - correct

As far as I can tell he hasn’t made any spurious claims so I don’t really know what you’re going on about.

When did we confirm we were after Gerrard? And as for Hughton being interviewed....every news station reported that. 

I personally don’t think it will be Holden. I still believe it will Cook .

Whoever it is, I’m sure at some point he has tweeted “we understand that....” about him 

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Apart from being woefully underqualified for the position, lacking any experience in a number one role, and being far too closely associated with a regime that was failing, my main issue with Holden is this: how the hell do you convince better players than we already have to come here with Holden in charge? What sort of message does it send out about our ambition?

He has no reputation in the game to speak of. Say what you like about LJ, but he was generally well known and well regarded within the wider football community as a progressive coach (rightly or wrongly); he has at least some standing in the game.

If you’re serious about promotion you’ve got to show it. No one wants to join a club treading water. I can’t see us going anywhere other than backwards.

To be fair to Holden he is also seen as a promising progressive coach and been rumoured to have been wanted by some other clubs in the past.

Not that I think he is the right appointment for City now, but in saying that who knows who is the right appointment. 

All I do know is that taking this long to pick anybody is completely ridiculous. I have a horrible fear myself that we are now holding out to try and get the Brentford boss should they fail to win tonight. Which like Gerrard is going for someone who probably isn’t the slightest bit interested in coming here.

6 minutes ago, Suffolk Red said:

This is a false economy by the club. What they save on the staff appointments they will lose on season ticket sales merchandise etc.

People will vote with their feet and their wallets.

How the club can walk blindly into this appointment without the backing of 95% of fans is beyond me.

Surely if not Hughton then Cook or Neil - To go with unproven Holden and a group of largely untried young players at this level could just work, but my instinct tells me it's more likely to threaten our very presence in The Championship.

Wake up Ashton and The Lansdownes before it's too late - please!

The thing is they wont lose out on season ticket sales as they have sold 12k and even if they appointed CH for example I cant see it having much of a bearing on ST sales in the current climate.

19 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

Let’s hope he doesn’t know everything.. 

FB06C608-A1E7-47BE-A372-95D7799C261C.png

I could be clutching at straws with this, and I’m usually am. But I’m reading this as he was not told anything other than sorting out back room staff. That could be the manager is agreed and they are negotiating with the back room staff on who he /she (not to upset the ladies) keeps. That could be the new manager has to keep Holden and Jamie MAC etc 

Archived