IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When Covid hit this country I would wake up every morning and think this cant be true and I've had a bad dream...I'm going to wake up tomorrow and think this cant be true, I've had a bad dream...and it wont be about covid..it will about this bloody football club I've devoted over 45 years to ??

27 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Apart from being woefully underqualified for the position, lacking any experience in a number one role, and being far too closely associated with a regime that was failing, my main issue with Holden is this: how the hell do you convince better players than we already have to come here with Holden in charge? What sort of message does it send out about our ambition?

He has no reputation in the game to speak of. Say what you like about LJ, but he was generally well known and well regarded within the wider football community as a progressive coach (rightly or wrongly); he has at least some standing in the game.

If you’re serious about promotion you’ve got to show it. No one wants to join a club treading water. I can’t see us going anywhere other than backwards.

Do you reckon we could quietly invite LJ to come back, but on Dean Holden's salary? Just forget the past four weeks, hopefully no one would really notice. As you were. 

Just now, City Rocker said:

Do you reckon we could quietly invite LJ to come back, but on Dean Holden's salary? Just forget the past four weeks, hopefully no one would really notice. As you were. 

Without a shadow of a doubt I would rather LJ was still here than Holden, not least of all because the whole fiasco has been damaging and makes the club looker considerably weaker than if we’d just stood by LJ.

This is likely to have been the plan all along, because if you think about it the LJ was weird timing, so maybe they had Holden in mind and wanted to give him a handful of matches as a "no pressure" trial to see how her fared and he passed the test during those matches and they have been under no pressure to announce it yet as the setup is all in place already

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

So you couldn’t say what your view would be if Holden was appointed?

Nope.

Said it loads of times already - lost in amongst the histrionics and totally hysterical shite so no point.

18 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I could be clutching at straws with this, and I’m usually am. But I’m reading this as he was not told anything other than sorting out back room staff. That could be the manager is agreed and they are negotiating with the back room staff on who he /she (not to upset the ladies) keeps. That could be the new manager has to keep Holden and Jamie MAC etc 

Maybe. Or perhaps Holden’s the new man, Macca stays on, and they’re trying to fill a void on the coaching staff with Ashley Williams? 

31 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Quote from his latest piece on Bristol Live:

Though a late switch for another candidate was not entirely ruled out by club sources on Tuesday, Holden is expected to clinch the position over the next days unless there is a sudden change of heart by the City board.

First time I can recall him using that phrase.

Ta.  Yes, looking more likely.

44 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

Let’s hope he doesn’t know everything.. 

FB06C608-A1E7-47BE-A372-95D7799C261C.png

Thats a bit different from his original tweet where the club were "leaning towards Holden and discussing the backroom staff" which intimates that the club were about to appoint Holden with his own backroom staff.

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

You don't think as the major shareholder SL didn't have a major say in the appointment. Interestingly it was then vice Chairman Jon Lansdown who announced the appointment to the media. 

I think Keith Dawe gets the credit but I never once saw Dawe interviewed, hence JL stepping forward for that role. When Cotts left the quote on the official site was:

Keith Dawe said: “I brought Steve Cotterill into Bristol City just over two years ago as I believed he could keep us in League One that year and build from there.'

44 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

If rumours/reports are to be believed and we appoint Holden.

Linked with Gerrard although no one really knows how far that went. Managers like Hughton and McCarthy putting their own name into the mix and yet we could end up with a guy in charge that was nearly as much as responsible for last seasons shit show as Johnson was.

How has that even happened???

Football and Rugby are worlds apart in terms of finances and I know little about Rugby, but from what I am told the Bears manager is the equivalent to Pep and some of the signings are the equivalent to Messi and Ronaldo. If true then it makes the handling of this managerial appointment even more embarrassing.

I’ve been without a season ticket going into the fourth season running and I think over that time I have never been more pleased with my choice than I am now.

I don’t know what the position on refunds for season tickets are but I would imagine there could be a fair few more requests.

Purely speculation at this point but the fact it’s even a possibility at this stage is a joke!

If it comes down to finances then I would also ask what the value in sacking LJ was only to replace him with his right hand man?

Rant over!

Well I knew they were close but that's taking it too far

7 minutes ago, AshtonG666 said:

This is likely to have been the plan all along, because if you think about it the LJ was weird timing, so maybe they had Holden in mind and wanted to give him a handful of matches as a "no pressure" trial to see how her fared and he passed the test during those matches and they have been under no pressure to announce it yet as the setup is all in place already

If you go back to Lansdown's Talksport interview just after LJ was sacked, which makes a fascinating listen from where we sit tonight, there was nothing to suggest that there was a plan to give Dean Holden the job - far from it, SL outlined a broad search for a manager to take us to the next level - the interview is posted on the Bristol City FC Supporters Page on twitter.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ta.  Yes, looking more likely.

Looks like he's been given a form of words by the club to draw the fire from the fans and hope it will die down. But been given or added a get out clause with the late change of heart bit.

4 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

If you go back to Lansdown's Talksport interview just after LJ was sacked, which makes a fascinating listen from where we sit tonight, there was nothing to suggest that there was a plan to give Dean Holden the job - far from it, SL outlined a broad search for a manager to take us to the next level - the interview is posted on the Bristol City FC Supporters Page on twitter.

It's quite clear we can't believe what we are being told and why Holden didn't go when LJ did

4 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Seems obvious to me it’s a last resort appointment. Can’t see how Ashton can bullshit his way out of this one. It’s a hugely damaging episode for the club and it’s relationship with supporters. Their claims about ambition have lost all credibility.

Will obviously support Holden, he probably can't believe his luck!

I do think it is very strange to dismiss a manager and appoint his less experienced assistant. Surely even if we missed out on our top 3 choices, we would still have people who applied who are more experienced than Holden?

Does anyone have more info on how he did in his short stint at Oldham? He was caretaker and then permanent for a bit right? So a mirror for here. Was he sacked from that role or did he get poached to be an assistant again? Excuse my ignorance for not following an assistant manager's career through the football leagues!

Archived