IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

IF we end up with Holden and if he's a disaster as Head Coach, who will be taking the blame for his appointment? And if we end up with him, there should be an internal review on how the hell we end up with the 2IC of the coach who failed instead of coaches who have been there and done it, and what were the reasons ( if any) other coaches turned us down ( again if any did).

4 minutes ago, AshtonG666 said:

You quite often hear a player saying they joined a club in part due to the manager, well don't expect to hear that anytime soon if Holden is appointed, as I doubt anybody outside Ashton Gate has even heard of him

Very few clubs will be signing anyone of note in view of Covid and it's financial implications. Most will be staying put. Next season starts in 5 weeks. No time to do anything.

• The title was changed to If we appoint Holden (Merged Threads)

Look lads, there's no point in cutting off your cocks to spite your balls. If it's just odds and no concrete itk info, then there are way too many on here getting worked up over nothing. Just take a chill pill or some shrooms to take the edge of your anxiety.

At the risk of sounding sexist. To the lasses out there, there's no point in cutting off your clit to spite your vag.

I could see the logic for an internal appointment if say we were someone like a Brentford or Southampton who have a clear way of how things are done i.e playing style that we would like to keep to. However as the previous manager seemed to make this up as he went along we don’t have that!

Likewise if the internal appointment was a high profile ex player ( like Scott Parker was) players will want to join the club, and also will immediately have their respect as he has been there and done it as a player.

The more and more I think about it I just can’t understand as to where the club would be coming from if this is to be the case.

I know that Mark Ashton is great with spin, but there is no way he could explain this!

1 minute ago, BCFC81 said:

I could see the logic for an internal appointment if say we were someone like a Brentford or Southampton who have a clear way of how things are done i.e playing style that we would like to keep to. However as the previous manager seemed to make this up as he went along we don’t have that!

Likewise if the internal appointment was a high profile ex player ( like Scott Parker was) players will want to join the club, and also will immediately have their respect as he has been there and done it as a player.

The more and more I think about it I just can’t understand as to where the club would be coming from if this is to be the case.

I know that Mark Ashton is great with spin, but there is no way he could explain this!

Worth noting that LJ was not appointed by a higher club because of his excellent performance.....doig so would obviously raise the potential of continuity Holden due to excellent results and progress.

He was sacked, and now it seems we will be hiring part of the brains of the failed operation. There is no logic to this. Zero.

12 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I don't believe the sun shines out of any part of SLs anatomy but his business acumen and commitment to both this club and Bristol sport in general has stabilised a club going absolutely nowhere under a number of previous Boards, Chairmen and major shareholders who knew no more about football than him. SL is not the only major shareholder that has presided over bad managerial appointments. He wasn't responsible for the likes of Lennartson, Osman etc. Very few owners of football clubs are well versed in football, they are after all the money men, which is why they appoint CEOs to run the club on a daily basis. 

I fully understand the disappointment of those who thought we should be in the PL by now, but many no longer seem prepared to acknowledge the progress made in the last 6 years. 

I’ve already stated how capable he is in a business sense, and if he knows his limitations on a footballing front then at least appoint a DOF to oversea that side of things . It’s pretty clear that Ashton has his strong points but a eye for a player isn’t one of them. 
Yes SL has grown the clubs infrastructure massively compared to before . The fact is though. Unless you get it right on the pitch and get to the prem , which Steve Lansdown him self said he wanted on national radio only a couple of weeks ago  ASAP  ,  Then his idea of becoming self sustainable will never be achieved. 
If he appoints Dean Holden , he’s basically going back on everything he said about appointing a manager to take us to the next level. 
please, also don’t compare him to other owners/chairmen . It has no relevance in this instance . 

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Nothing right?

He’s called Hughton, Cook and Gerrard correctly. Nationals said it was a done deal with Hughton but Gregor said it wasn’t - who was right?

Let’s have some examples of where he’s got it wrong please.

Not convinced the Post called Gerrard correctly. After the Post reported that Gerrard had turned us down, Gerrard said he had had no contact from us.

So our identity is going to continue to be ‘busy bees’ then? Which basically means no clear style, players not being good on the ball (hot potatoe football) and limited pressing.

why not get someone (anyone!) in with new ideas ffs.

I rate mark Ashton but consider Jon lansdown to be a clown- if/when Holden is sacked with us in the relegation zone I expect them both to be relieved of their duties! (Unless of course this is actually Steve’s appointment)

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I’ve already stated how capable he is in a business sense, and if he knows his limitations on a footballing front then at least appoint a DOF to oversea that side of things . It’s pretty clear that Ashton has his strong points but a eye for a player isn’t one of them. 
Yes SL has grown the clubs infrastructure massively compared to before . The fact is though. Unless you get it right on the pitch and get to the prem , which Steve Lansdown him self said he wanted on national radio only a couple of weeks ago  ASAP  ,  Then his idea of becoming self sustainable will never be achieved. 
If he appoints Dean Holden , he’s basically going back on everything he said about appointing a manager to take us to the next level. 
please, also don’t compare him to other owners/chairmen . It has no relevance in this instance . 

I'm growing tired of this now. The fact is that neither you, I or anyone else on this forum knows that DH will fail if he's appointed. I understand you may wish it as it would credence to your prejudice against LJ and those he surrounded himself with. While he still wouldn't be my choice I saw enough of the games after LJs sacking to suggest DH may go down a different path. The results may not have been as successful as hoped but he had little time to prepare following LJs dismissal. In any event, as often pointed out on this forum in regards to other clubs sacking managers, it would be wrong to draw too many conclusions on a handful of games. If he's appointed, which is still not yet certain, and he gets us promoted I presume you'll be as quick to eat humble pie as you'll be to say I told you so. 

I also think a new broom so to speak is desired but if DH is the next gaffer then so be it & he'll need support. He has had plenty of time to see where LJ was failing & obviously has his own ideas as his few games in charge showed. The majority seem against any DH decision but lets give him a chance & support if indeed he does land the job.

That's it guys, just heading for the bunker

1 hour ago, Chappers said:

Why not? There is logic to it with current circumstances, and as a supporter, I will back him and give him a chance. 
Once the delay in easing restrictions was announced last week, he became the obvious choice in terms of continuity and value. Not the choice in normal circumstances, but it isn’t normal right now. 

I’ll say it again. If that the current circumstances were genuinely why they were thinking of appointing Holden then why did Lansdown publicly chase Steven Gerrard ? 
Why interview Hughton and Paul cook ? 
why state on national radio during the pandemic that he wanted a manager to take us to the next level ? 
your reasons do not stack up 

With all due respect to everyone who is perhaps over-reacting.

Could the leaks about backroom staff possibly be issues with the administrators at Wigan (Cook) and/or Hughton? It could be coaches are still on holiday such as Deano and we'll announce once everyone returns to training, along with a kit release.

Ashton's had to make several key decisions with player sales already, and I'd argue on the whole he's done decent business.

Can this even be true ,a man who was part of Johnson’s failure and when stepped up won only 2 games of 6 , in which 3 of those games we had only 1shot on target , who is this man ,what has he done ,why interview proven managers if you can’t afford them , no I think truth is his new toy is rugby and football he’s happy if we keep producing young players to only sell .This isn’t what fans who struggle to make ends meet want ,we the paying suffering public want OUR. club to move forward,so why appoint a man with no experience doesnt make sense , prepare to have a lot of season ticket holders demand refunds after all fans are getting used to no football, this appointment will not create excitement to draw the fans back , I’ll be staying in pub 

good bye the club I loved 

33 minutes ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Look lads, there's no point in cutting off your cocks to spite your balls. If it's just odds and no concrete itk info, then there are way too many on here getting worked up over nothing. Just take a chill pill or some shrooms to take the edge of your anxiety.

At the risk of sounding sexist. To the lasses out there, there's no point in cutting off your clit to spite your vag.

Planning to start using this phrase with immediate effect. Lovely stuff.

With this drawn out manager selection comes the made up BS, drama, hysteria etc.

I do hope that they sort it out by this weekend because if the manager selected is uninspiring, it would have been a farce and be rightly criticised.

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I'm growing tired of this now. The fact is that neither you, I or anyone else on this forum knows that DH will fail if he's appointed. I understand you may wish it as it would credence to your prejudice against LJ and those he surrounded himself with. While he still wouldn't be my choice I saw enough of the games after LJs sacking to suggest DH may go down a different path. The results may not have been as successful as hoped but he had little time to prepare following LJs dismissal. In any event, as often pointed out on this forum in regards to other clubs sacking managers, it would be wrong to draw too many conclusions on a handful of games. If he's appointed, which is still not yet certain, and he gets us promoted I presume you'll be as quick to eat humble pie as you'll be to say I told you so. 

That wasn’t your argument . Your twisting your own words . I’ve got nothing against Holden personally . No , I don’t think he’s the right appointment . The original argument was that Lansdown has gone back on his original statement if dean is appointed . That Lansdown said he wanted PREM FOOTBALL ASAP . Then looks to appoint someone with no experience at all. 
After the win at boro , I saw a naive manager in the following games . Nothing to get excited about. 
sorry you’re bored with this , but then you would be because you can’t twist a argument that makes SL come out of this with any credibility . 

33 minutes ago, Floatn Over said:

And if we did appoint DH and he got us up at the first attempt, Bielsa style mind with games to spare, not via the playoffs, would there be critical posts saying if only we’d have appointed CH or PC we could have been 7th.

And what if he falls on his ass ,sacked by Xmas with us in a relegation position we have to start again on the merry go round and how far does that throw us back , crowds 10k ffs no thanks 

11 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I’ll say it again. If that the current circumstances were genuinely why they were thinking of appointing Holden then why did Lansdown publicly chase Steven Gerrard ? 
Why interview Hughton and Paul cook ? 
why state on national radio during the pandemic that he wanted a manager to take us to the next level ? 
your reasons do not stack up 

Who knows? If he is named as our manager you can either spontaneously combust with annoyance or just get over it and see how it goes. 
As for my reasons stacking up, we have lots of costs and minimal income, no indication of when/ if normality returns. Or even if the season will complete. Therefore a manager who can work with the contracted players makes a lot of sense right now. Just upsets a lot of people who want a Billy Big Boots at huge cost thinking he will cast a magic spell!

Archived