IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Notbarrymanc said:

It could be that they’re just writing next season off due to the financial restrictions Covid will bring.  Wednesday and Wycombe are as good as down, so we just need to not finish in the final relegation spot. Go cheap, stay up then use the money saved for 21/22 (if Covid has gone by then)

I wondered about this earlier- but another way of looking at it might be as one of the clubs with headroom a good appointment added to a decent- not a worldbeating but a decent- squad- could be just the push we need and enable us to steal a bit of a march.

4 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Very few clubs will be signing anyone of note in view of Covid and it's financial implications. Most will be staying put. Next season starts in 5 weeks. No time to do anything.

Certainly is believable when a manager is sacked and a month on still no replacement!

That drags things out terribly and next one season will be one hell of a squeeze- what are we playing at tbh.

3 hours ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

So our identity is going to continue to be ‘busy bees’ then? Which basically means no clear style, players not being good on the ball (hot potatoe football) and limited pressing.

why not get someone (anyone!) in with new ideas ffs.

I rate mark Ashton but consider Jon lansdown to be a clown- if/when Holden is sacked with us in the relegation zone I expect them both to be relieved of their duties! (Unless of course this is actually Steve’s appointment)

I think we have players to be both reasonable in possession and retaining the 'busy bee' aspect- if we set up differently.

I fear Holden is not that man- while we had more possession it is true, I question how good moving forward a CM of Smith-Weimann-Paterson is- seems like it can be outnumbered/outmaneuvered to me. That combination feels a curious one.

Given it (I hope it isn't) appears to be a done deal, may as well using Sky as the point, stick up some key stats from his short caretaker reign:

P5W2D2L1F7A5Pts8GD+2

The Below is an average

• Shots FOR Per Game- 11.20
  • Shots AGAINST Per Game- 16
  • Possession- 56.1%
  • Shots on Target FOR Per Game- 3.80
  • Shots on Target AGAINST Per Game- 4.80

One- maybe two-positive metrics- IF it's him hopefully build on positive aspects and look to really work on the negatives.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I was impressed by lots of things.

• consistent use of a system
  • a coherent selection policy
  • patterns of play I’d not seen in 6-9 months
  • players happy to receive the ball in tight spots 
  • players able to play more than one role without it seeming to impact them, because it looked they knew the plan
  • willingness to give Vyner his head 
  • picking Benkovic / leaving out O’Dowda

God, it wasn’t perfect, but it was a damn site better than what I’d been watching under LJ.

Good for you, hope you find something fulfilling on Saturday afternoons.

It was zero better than watching LJ's team, you must be easily pleased

6 hours ago, Red Exile said:

If you go back to Lansdown's Talksport interview just after LJ was sacked, which makes a fascinating listen from where we sit tonight, there was nothing to suggest that there was a plan to give Dean Holden the job - far from it, SL outlined a broad search for a manager to take us to the next level - the interview is posted on the Bristol City FC Supporters Page on twitter.

yes but he meant the LOWER LEVEL

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

So is the fact that we were 9 games without a win (two points from 27), were playing shit, etc etc.

Im fine for everyone on here to disagree, but Holden’s 5 games are dismissed too easily as being “against shit sides”.  Nobody is shit in the champ (ok, I’ll give you Hull ?), but even Hull made it a difficult match because like them we were so devoid of confidence.  We lost Baker inside 5 minutes too.  Holden brought much of that back over 5 games.

With Red Robbo and Big Tone in the dugout i suspect we would have seen a bounce after LJ left... It's as common as a bright day following a dark night. 

I would pay zero credence to 5 games under a caretaker. I WOULD pay credence to 4 and a half years under LJ as my go to and only starting point. And as that alone, which can only be the sensible approach, then sadly for Holden he would not get a look in.

In the event City appoint him then there will be utter dismay among the fan base.

I still cannot see it happening because I respect Steve Lansdown and I know and expect him to do the right thing and appoint a proven Championship or top foreign coach. 

It's 120 million v 3 million. He is not going to gamble more than he needs to when those are the stark figures. 

13 hours ago, Loco Rojo said:

People saying no ambition etc need to take a breath and look at the bigger picture here. With the state of football finances and the likely hood that fans won't be allowed back in for an unknown period of time, plus other revenue streams significantly hit, this is likely to get alot worse.

Holden wouldn't be my first choice to get us promoted but I think we're trying to consolidate things right now, see what happens next season with the state of the finances/economy and then look at it again next year when we have a better idea of the financial picture. At the end of the day this is a business that has to survive.

We clearly aren't ready for PL without investment and maybe Landsdown isn't able or want to plow millions in to the team/manager wages without appropriate levels of money coming back in to balance the books.

Personally, while he wasn't the first choice, I think we go with Holden and regroup next season (accept the risk it could backfire) but i think football will be changing far more than we appreciate right now and this will get much worse when/if a second spike hits and football either gets stopped again or restrictions continue for much longer.

I suspect finance is the key to this as well.

I imagine that the coaches that we have interviewed are still demanding the unsustainable wages and budgets ‘ pre-covid ‘ .

If Gerard really was offered €50,000 a week to come here then someone , probably Mr Ashton , was hallucinating , even he stated that we were in for a ‘ season of austerity ‘. So we could have had SG as coach and not been able to buy or pay any players ! 

We may see a fallout here. 

I think that Dean Holden is a capable coach and a likeable bloke in a straight talking Northern fashion. He may turn out to be an inspired appointment however in typical City style , if it happens, most of us long suffering supporters will feel that , once again, we’ve had a golden opportunity taken away from us and been misled. I really thought that this was the moment that Bristol City announced itself as serious contenders for the Prem. 

I was going to write kicked in the teeth, gutted , the biggest let down since Dolly Parton’s  bra snapped but I was around when we nearly lost the club and seven players tore up their contracts so with the huge uncertainty over future income many clubs are going to be in danger of going bust . 

We all know that Mr Lansdown is not a gambler and DH may just galvanise the club with his use of the young’uns . 
Here’s hoping .

Once I get over the disappointment I will be ready for the next thrilling installment of the Bristol City soap opera.

7 hours ago, eric04 said:

What will be his target? Top 6 or sacked, or will he get four years too? 

I think this appointment will show the board are not really interested in getting promoted. For me it will make supporting the club much harder knowing that the people at the top are not doing all they can to make us successful. I hope these rumours are not true.

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

I can’t help but feel this has been leaked to press to be the medicine before the sugar (Cook) is administered. 

Not everyone is sold on Cook (I am) but after hearing we’re close to appointing DH, PC will be like us announcing Pep. 

I really hope you are correct.

6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I can’t help but feel this has been leaked to press to be the medicine before the sugar (Cook) is administered. 

Not everyone is sold on Cook (I am) but after hearing we’re close to appointing DH, PC will be like us announcing Pep. 

Prepare for disappointment 

3 minutes ago, daored said:

Prepare for disappointment 

I just don’t believe that SL could be that stupid. Because let’s be honest, no decision is being taken without him ratifying it. And however much people will say they won’t read OTIB you can be damn sure he’ll have seen that poll result and that’s potentially worth a lot of money to the club. 

12 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I just don’t believe that SL could be that stupid. Because let’s be honest, no decision is being taken without him ratifying it. And however much people will say they won’t read OTIB you can be damn sure he’ll have seen that poll result and that’s potentially worth a lot of money to the club. 

I do agree with SL ratifying the decision , I’m not sure how much fan opinion will impact on their decision. Let’s not forget it’s unlikely fans will be allowed back in the ground this season, add in the commercial side of the ground and matches and it’s a huge revenue drop. A ‘cheaper option’ makes visible sense.

Is Holden the right man? Time will tell , but I’m not sure - whilst Johnson had the final say in team selection / formation Holden would have an input. How many of our players have improved in the past 18 months, structure of play, part of this is down to coaching and whilst Holden is a part of.

I don’t believe much can be taken from the games he took charge of , following Johnson’s sacking 

@Hampshire Redagree totally , we can’t have an inexperienced manager and coaching staff

6 hours ago, Chappers said:

If I held the purse strings, the Club was relying on my support to survive the COVID/ economic crisis and I thought it was the right decision, then yes. It’s not 95% it’s a small, vocal minority, made a lot worse by the hysterical garbage on here, and you know that if results are good, most will return.

Sorry I can’t join in this hysterical negativity, I’ll decide how good the new manager is after about half a season... If we even get that. 

There are two minorities in our fan base. One is the tell everyone I’m burning my season ticket because I can’t get my own way. The other, which you appear to be part of, is the let’s suck up to the benefactor and tell everyone that he gets nothing wrong brigade.

The majority of fans will be underwhelmed and disappointed with the appointment of Dean Holden but will carry on supporting the club.

Most will just take it on the chin although one or two that I know and who don’t post on here are considering measures like taking the pro rata refund on games missed next season if and when it’s offered, cancelling City Foundation membership and not spending at the ground (if we ever get there) as a small protest.

31 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

As much as I hope we do employ Cook.

It would very callous of the club to actually do this. Holden at the end of the day is a person who is currently employed by the club. 

I would be more pissed off that it took 4/5 weeks to announce a manager linked with more experienced managers to go with Dean. If we come out and say we went with Dean because of Covid then you will have to question anything that comes out their mouths. As there are also more experienced managers at lower levels that would of been cheaper in Lowe or Flynn linked to us. 

What I’m hoping on is, punters are not interested in us and it only takes a few flutters to move the odds dramatically. 

29 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

That’s what I’m wondering. So far it’s only Gregor reporting it. It’s possible the ‘manager negotiating his back room staff’ could mean Cook keeping Holden on as assistant. I think most would accept that.

I hope whoever gets the job does well and I’ve not seen anything that suggests any of the candidates are guaranteed success or failure.

I have no input into the selection process so have no choice but to trust in those who do, and they’ll see and learn a lot more about the candidates than I will and therefore are better placed to make the right appointment 

Will the appointment stop me going to watch City? No, Covid 19 will, and that’s probably a good thing in some ways as it allows the new manager play his team and prove his worth without the toxicity an angry crowd can bring - whoever gets it needs a chance

do I think our owner is part of the decision? Yes, of course. But do I think he’s choosing the cheap option? No, just look at his investment to date, in the scheme of things the difference between the cheapest and most expensive option is negligible, the appointment will be the best candidate in the opinion of the owner. A decision he has bought the right to make, and a decision he will finance.

Until I can sit in the ground and cheer (or boo) the new manager will get my full support

Totally agree. I have now been going 62 years - sadly did not miss football when it was suspended, not surprising really as this past season has been a huge disappointment and one of the most unstimulating ever with so few memories of good goals, good games and even shots on goal - and predictabilitu. How we were ever in contention for the playoffs I will never know. 

Had great faith in LJ and sad to see him go but his management of his team this season has been so poor. 

Back to the poster - in total agreement - this, one felt, was City's greatest opportunity to attract a manager of real quality knowing that with the set up we have and not too much tinkering we could almost be guaranteed a play off place. 

The years are running out on me and think I'll be getting to the promised land before City. Very sad scenario when we are in the healthiest position we have ever been in. Talk of having hopes raised...if we fail to make the playoffs again this season we will lose supporters and the belief that the club was making progress! 

39 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

There are two minorities in our fan base. One is the tell everyone I’m burning my season ticket because I can’t get my own way. The other, which you appear to be part of, is the let’s suck up to the benefactor and tell everyone that he gets nothing wrong brigade.

The majority of fans will be underwhelmed and disappointed with the appointment of Dean Holden but will carry on supporting the club.

Most will just take it on the chin although one or two that I know and who don’t post on here are considering measures like taking the pro rata refund on games missed next season if and when it’s offered, cancelling City Foundation membership and not spending at the ground (if we ever get there) as a small protest.

Not sucking up, I just won’t join the baying mob on here and prepared to give the guy a chance. Whoever takes over will have to work mostly with existing squad, and there is so much uncertainty over next season in terms of finances and completion, that the internal appointment makes sense.

The Board know the candidates a whole lot better than a bunch of keyboard warriors (All competing time be the most outraged), and if they determine DH to be the best candidate, we have to accept it and support him.

Gove it a few months and there will be supporters up and down the Country just hoping their club can survive, plenty of people losing jobs and homes, a manager being appointed is not really anything to get worked up about. Nobody on here seems capable of even considering that he might actually be the right fit for the job.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I was impressed by lots of things.

• consistent use of a system
  • a coherent selection policy
  • patterns of play I’d not seen in 6-9 months
  • players happy to receive the ball in tight spots 
  • players able to play more than one role without it seeming to impact them, because it looked they knew the plan
  • willingness to give Vyner his head 
  • picking Benkovic / leaving out O’Dowda

God, it wasn’t perfect, but it was a damn site better than what I’d been watching under LJ.

Good for you, hope you find something fulfilling on Saturday afternoons.

All of it true. That said how much of that was down to how bad the last stretch under LJ was. Dean Holden’s 5 game stretch and tactics were ok. You can’t dismiss the quality of teams we played. You can also say pressure was off the players too. The sacking of LJ coincided with playoffs basically impossible. Point is, I am not so sure our form last 5 games was strictly down to DH. I won’t go as far as saying me and you could have gotten 8 points from those 5 but if DH quit because LJ was sacked, I don’t think Macca would have done worse. It was a good situation for anyone to take over

Archived