IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You don’t mean ... duvets???

Actually, for all,the angst and torment on this forum, I think you’ll find that the average City fan will get get on with life, accept the fact of whatever appointment is made, and see how things turn out.  In the last few years people have had to accept Trump, Brexit, Johnson and Coronavirus; I’m sure Bristol City fans can cope with a disappointing managerial appointment without collectively opening a vein.  There are a lot worse things that could be happening.

Crikey!

You know things are bad when you compare the managerial appointment to Trump, Brexit and Coronavirus just to make yourself feel better.

What a depressing state of affairs this is!

Weeks ago we were debating whether Holden should even stay on as back room staff; given his clear and integral involvement in the previous regime which was deemed a failure most on here were definite that it should be a ‘no’. Now it looks like we’re appointing him as head coach. You really couldn’t make this shit up. Only at BCFC. Still praying that this is all some wild ruse mind!  

17 minutes ago, keflav said:

As i tweeted my response to this was, that has been the problem for many a year with Bristol city, we don't need the Manager to be popular or friendly with the squad (ok sometime it helps but not a necessity) unfortunately seems its been like this way to many times seems player think its an easy ride at City and can just plod along whatever happens, and players are to pally with the manager... we need a manager who pushes the players and makes them succeed, and if that means not being massively popular off the pitch with the players then so be it. of course not asking for a manager who is a A££whole, but someone who is tough and make the players we have better... If it is DH then as I said before its the most Bristol City thing Little Bristol city have done, and shows the mentality of the club and managment...

**** the lot of them. I don't think I'd care if we got relegated...bloody shower.

Holden is clearly the fall back. There is no way in the world he was ever high up on the list at the start - he fails to meet the criteria set by Lansdown on his Talk Sport interview, in particular the 'fresh air' he referred to.

Something has gone spectacularly wrong in this process and wish the club would just hold their hands up and admit it but they won't. They will spin it that Holden impressed and was the 'stand out' candidate. They must think we're fools if we were to believe it.

That being said, over the last few seasons, forgetting who is in charge, the model we have set up is a good one and as frustrationg as it is if Hughton or whoever didn't fit then that is the way it is.

Personally, I don't think Holden will be up to the job and we'll end up back looking for a manager within 2 years. However, I hope the club have stumbled on a conclusion that ends up working out and I'll support Holden and our club all the way.

If come May, we're in the top 6, I'll be over the moon but in no way will I be congratulating the club on an inspired appointment - they would just have struck lucky!

23 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'd be amazed if many blamed Dean Holden for taking the job.

But if anger isn't expressed now when exactly is is ok to be angry? We've only just got rid of one managerial experiment...it seems to me to be expecting a lot for supporters to placidly go along with another apprentice, when we've been in discussions with master craftsmen.

..by judging where we are during this season - if we fail badly, every City fan should rightly be frothing at the mouth at the club and that is the time to call for root and branch changes as it would be shown that there are systemic issues within BCFC. However we have to wait to see for that moment if they know something we don't about Holden and what he can achieve.

9 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I think the most important issue that is winding up the fans is the timing. If they said they wanted to go with Dean a week after LJ’s dismissal then we would of just gone with it. 
It’s the bollocks that MA said about the applicants that winds me up. 

No chance - with all due respect.  Timing doesn’t help certainly,  but appointing DH at any time would be seen as a complete and utter cluster **** by many. 

27 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

My feeling is that it'll probably be neither of those things.

He won't be a disaster and get us relegated or anything, but he's not the man to push us on to the next level, which is what this appointment was supposed to be.

yes this would be the worst case scenario - no mans land !

1 minute ago, citywest30 said:

over the last few seasons, forgetting who is in charge, the model we have set up is a good one and as frustrationg as it is if Hughton or whoever didn't fit then that is the way it is.

...in what possible sense is a 'model' that prevents us hiring the key post holder at a football club a 'good one'?

There is no 'model', any more than there were '5 pillars'. The strategy changes with the wind. Buy them young and then sell at a profit isn't a 'model' - it's what every club in the world will do if it gets half a chance. 

It just beggers belief that our owner cannot grasp the fact that the manager is the most important signing to make for a football club. Its not rocket science surely? Why is it he cannot fathom this time and time again?

The only reason I can think of (because I cannot believe he is that stupid) is for an unhealthy level of control over the footballing side of things. That is for me more then worrying. 

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You don’t mean ... duvets???

Actually, for all,the angst and torment on this forum, I think you’ll find that the average City fan will get get on with life, accept the fact of whatever appointment is made, and see how things turn out.  In the last few years people have had to accept Trump, Brexit, Johnson and Coronavirus; I’m sure Bristol City fans can cope with a disappointing managerial appointment without collectively opening a vein.  There are a lot worse things that could be happening.

You seem to forget the majority were more than happy with Trump, Brexit and Johnson - the majority with a say voted for them.

We don't have a say on the new manager but the vast majority of City supporters are clearly vehemently against Holden's appointment, and the club will know that full well.

The anger is genuine and justified.

26 minutes ago, supercidered said:

If ever there was a 'its the hope that kills you' post then this is it.

Any phrase with Holden and his team in it sends shivers down my spine.

If in appointing Holden turns out well. It will be by luck rather than by judgement. After 5 weeks or so of searching for a new Manager / Coach comes up with Holden as the best choice then that has to be the most ridiculous decision / choice this club has ever made.

By the time the dust has settled we could be well and truly f@cked. There is no time to let the dust settle. The time was and is to go for it and go for it properly. Not to go for someone who isn't deserving of being the Manager / Head Coach at City however popular he may be in the dressing room.

not a 'hope that kills you' post but more a 'last chance saloon' for the BCFC hierarchy!

40 minutes ago, Henry said:

FFS. Being popular in the dressing room is not a good reason to appoint anyone.

If anything it’s a negative. A cosy environment with a familiar face who you know will still be nice to you when you fail, because he’s a nice guy.

This clubs needs a regime change. A shake up. A fresh set of eyes. It needs someone who is going to get the most out of a group of players that underachieved on their potential last season. Putting their mate in charge and expecting a different outcome is the exact opposite.

Pathetic City, pathetic.

2 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

Holden is clearly the fall back. There is no way in the world he was ever high up on the list at the start - he fails to meet the criteria set by Lansdown on his Talk Sport interview, in particular the 'fresh air he referred to.

Something has gone spectacularly wrong in this process and wish the club would just hold their hands up and admit it bit they won't. They will spin it that Holden impressed and was the 'stand out' candidate. They must think we're fools if we were to believe it.

That being said, over the last few seasons, forgetting who is in charge, the model we have set up is a good one and as frustrationg as it is if Hughton or whoever didn't fit then that is the way it is.

Personally, I don't think Holdenbwill be up to the job and well end up back looking for a manager within 2 years. However, I hope the club have stumbled on a conclusion that ends up working out. If come May, we're in the top 6, I'll be over the moon but in no way will I be congratulating the club on a inspired appointment - they would just have struck lucky!

After 5 weeks of deliberations if Holden turns out to be a failure then the board are accountable. If however he is successful then how can it be ‘struck lucky’. He clearly wasn’t first choice originally or he would have been appointed earlier. Having deliberated for so long they must have been won over to the idea as I haven’t seen anyone having rejected us as yet. They have clearly been thorough but if it works out they deserve the plaudits as much as they deserve the criticism if it doesn’t.

10 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Sorry but you haven't read what I said. Read again pal..

Less of the passive aggression please, too many posts get jumped on. Read your post? I QUOTED IT. You made some good points but said one thing that made no sense to me so I asked a question about it and did not get snippy. So ‘pal’, genuinely why do you say DH brings a new outlook?  I genuinely don’t get it. 

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

It just beggers belief that our owner cannot grasp the fact that the manager is the most important signing to make for a football club. Its not rocket science surely? Why is it he cannot fathom this time and time again?

The only reason I can think of (because I cannot believe he is that stupid) is for an unhealthy level of control over the footballing side of things. That is for me more then worrying. 

I vividly remember reading something from Angus Scott a couple years ago regarding what he had seen happen over years knowing the ins and outs at the club. Something along the lines of Lansdown's interrupting with Managers repeatedly etc

25 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I think the most important issue that is winding up the fans is the timing. If they said they wanted to go with Dean a week after LJ’s dismissal then we would of just gone with it. 
It’s the bollocks that MA said about the applicants that winds me up. 

No chance! Holden should be out the door along with LJ bad timing or not!!

3 minutes ago, hantsred said:

..by judging where we are during this season - if we fail badly, every City fan should rightly be frothing at the mouth at the club and that is the time to call for root and branch changes as it would be shown that there are systemic issues within BCFC. However we have to wait to see for that moment if they know something we don't about Holden and what he can achieve.

We really don't have to wait and see. Dean Holden has been part of the managerial set up here for several years. If you believe he is the breath of fresh air that will lead us closer to promotion fair enough but I'm not sure what more evidence anyone would want of the need for root and branch changes than the shambles we currently seem mired in.

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

He should look at the success of the rugby club 

25 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

So our wasteman players endorsing this. Of course they are. Another few years of mediocrity for them.

Another scenario is

it is Hughton

DH is gutted/unemployed

So some platers send him warm wishes. Not saying it is likely but don’t read Patto endorsing that the squad really like DH as proof. Could mean anything/nothing. 

44 minutes ago, Henry said:

I read this differently. I thought the retweets were the players standing behind Holden given he’s faced such a negative reaction from the fans. As another poster alluded to, we really need to step out of the comfort zone that we’re currently in. 

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

I vividly remember reading something from Angus Scott a couple years ago regarding what he had seen happen over years knowing the ins and outs at the club. Something along the lines of Lansdown's interrupting with Managers repeatedly etc

Cannot help himself but meddle, me I play Football Manager for my footy fix, SL plays with City, no one can get in the way of his shiny toys, no matter how qualified they are.

A couple of days ago when the initial reports broke that Holden was in pole position for the job I was reluctant to buy it, but this morning I've come to the reality that he's going to be the new manager of BCFC.

I appreciate some of you will back the clubs decision regardless and that's fine, for those of us that won't it's time to kick up a fuss rather than just sitting back and letting this happen to our club.

I am absolutely seething that we've waited for 5 weeks for this, after being completely sold down the river both by Steve Lansdown on TalkSPORT when he spoke of the level of applicants and how we needed a new man to get us where LJ couldn't.

Moaning on social media at Steve/Jon Lansdown won't get the message across, however cancelling your season ticket, writing to the club, putting up banners etc (actual physical action) will do.

I'm fed up, this club has got my hopes up constantly in the last few years, what with it being promises of players not being sold, playoff hopes, signing Gayle/Gray/Lingard/Nketiah and so on and then falling at the last.

I've had enough, it's time to show discontent I think.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The players endorsing it shouldn’t be a good sign for the board. The players need a manager not a pal or someone they can walk over. A bit concerning imo.

I’m not sure Holden is the right man for the job but I don’t get the impression he’s overly matey or a walkover with the players. Strikes me as quite serious and probably someone players would look up to but also feel is accessible. Not a bad thing necessarily. I think he does have presence and integrity, there was an interview with someone he’d done his coaching badges with who said as much. Also someone who has been through a lot personally which likely means he is stable and emotionally aware. In all those things possibly an interesting counterpoint to LJ, his peer but seemingly stronger on tactics than man management.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

FFS. Being popular in the dressing room is not a good reason to appoint anyone.

If anything it’s a negative. A cosy environment with a familiar face who you know will still be nice to you when you fail, because he’s a nice guy.

This clubs needs a regime change. A shake up. A fresh set of eyes. It needs someone who is going to get the most out of a group of players that underachieved on their potential last season. Putting their mate in charge and expecting a different outcome is the exact opposite.

Pathetic City, pathetic.

Agree 100% been saying this for a long time, Its all to Cosy and comfortable for the players whatever happens and been like it for far to long...

I can honestly say with all that is going on with the club and possible farcical announcement of DH as manager I have never ever felt so disconnected to club as i do at the moment and I suspect I'm not the only one..

5 minutes ago, Atticus said:

That's always been the rumour with Lansdown and City.  Hence appointments like Millen, LJ and Tinnion.  And hence appointments like Cotterill and Coppell ultimately fail. 

Holden being appointed would confirm my absolute worst fears about SLs hands-on relationship with the club. It'll always hold us back, it always has done since he took over in 2001. 

We're destined to carry on underachieving whilst he remains in charge. 

Archived