IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Same old comfy, cosy, little Bristol city. Easy place to come and earn a fantastic living. The manager is your pal and anything negative gets spun into a positive for the club, by the absolute wordsmith that is Ashton! 

From Hughton and Gerrard, to Dean Holden, who’s managerial record boasts 5 games, when there was nothing to play for.

I really hope this works Lansdown. 

Just now, Red Exile said:

We really don't have to wait and see. Dean Holden has been part of the managerial set up here for several years. If you believe he is the breath of fresh air that will lead us closer to promotion fair enough but I'm not sure what more evidence anyone would want of the need for root and branch changes than the shambles we currently seem mired in.

Hang on, are we really talking about ‘root and branch changes’ here?  Only a few weeks ago we were still in with a shout of the play-offs, and while the failure to deliver that did require a change, I don’t think it represented complete failure.  Certainly not ripping it all up and starting again.  We have the nucleus of a very good squad, and some very good younger players to come in, so what we need is someone who can take us on from there.  I don’t see the fact that Holden was part of the previous managerial team as necessarily a problem, and in many ways it is an advantage, but the question is whether he has the ability to take us forward.  Sean Dyche was promoted from within at Watford: I wonder how many Watford fans thought that eight years later he’d be managing a top ten a Premier a League team?

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That's always been the rumour with Lansdown and City.  Hence appointments like Millen, LJ and Tinnion.  And hence appointments like Cotterill and Coppell ultimately fail. 

Holden being appointed would confirm my absolute worst fears about SLs hands-on relationship with the club. It'll always hold us back, it always has done since he took over in 2001. 

We're destined to carry on underachieving whilst he remains in charge. 

Do you know what, until now I’d have jumped to SL’s defence in response to a post like this.

But for the first time I’m doubting SL and starting to agree. If we appoint Holden with the club having such strong foundations for a genuine push for the Premier League, with the club better placed than most to weather Covid, and a division now without any “big” clubs always likely to get there ahead of us...well how can I or anyone else defend that?

2 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

Same old comfy, cosy, little Bristol city. Easy place to come and earn a fantastic living. The manager is your pal and anything negative gets spun into a positive for the club, by the absolute wordsmith that is Ashton! 

From Hughton and Gerrard, to Dean Holden, who’s managerial record boasts 5 games, when there was nothing to play for.

I really hope this works Lansdown. 

Oh yes, Gerrard.  City fans would have welcomed him with open arms, but what track record in management did he have?

1 hour ago, !james said:

Genuine question, what type of uproar are you expecting? 

Thousands marching through Bristol to Ashton Gate probably :protest:

The reality is there will always be a few (a very low minority) who lose all perspective (like some on here) but most will just be pissed off for a bit. 

Anyway, could yet be Hughton.

6 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Less of the passive aggression please, too many posts get jumped on. Read your post? I QUOTED IT. You made some good points but said one thing that made no sense to me so I asked a question about it and did not get snippy. So ‘pal’, genuinely why do you say DH brings a new outlook?  I genuinely don’t get it. 

It's not passive aggressive I just couldn't be ****** to reply to you when you've not taken the time to read what I've said so let me copy and paste it for you to read again and highlight the main bit for you.

I won't lie and say I'm completely made up with Holden as manager because I personally think we needed a new outlook.

How does that statement above mean that I think Dean Holden brings a new outlook? it's saying I think we needed a new outlook.

Just now, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Oh yes, Gerrard.  City fans would have welcomed him with open arms, but what track record in management did he have?

At least he’s had a couple of full seasons at a decent level and a big club. Major playing career, big name who players probably would have been excited to play for. 

13 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

...in what possible sense is a 'model' that prevents us hiring the key post holder at a football club a 'good one'?

There is no 'model', any more than there were '5 pillars'. The strategy changes with the wind. Buy them young and then sell at a profit isn't a 'model' - it's what every club in the world will do if it gets half a chance. 

The model of our transfer policy - developing youth and selling at a premium, buying in young profitable players on the whole. If Hughton had said, no I am not doing that then I can see why the board stuck to their guns as much as it annoys me. I would have hoped they would have compromised seeing this as a golden opportunity.

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That's always been the rumour with Lansdown and City.  Hence appointments like Millen, LJ and Tinnion.  And hence appointments like Cotterill and Coppell ultimately fail. 

Holden being appointed would confirm my absolute worst fears about SLs hands-on relationship with the club. It'll always hold us back, it always has done since he took over in 2001. 

We're destined to carry on underachieving whilst he remains in charge. 

Yeah, ive always felt there was more to the Coppell thing. 

1 minute ago, RedRoss said:

It's not passive aggressive I just couldn't be ****** to reply to you when you've not taken the time to read what I've said so let me copy and paste it for you to read again and highlight the main bit for you.

I won't lie and say I'm completely made up with Holden as manager because I personally think we needed a new outlook.

How does that statement above mean that I think Dean Holden brings a new outlook? it's saying I think we needed a new outlook.

Mea culpa, my error, I DID read it but I mis read it. My bad, I apologise. 

16 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

After 5 weeks of deliberations if Holden turns out to be a failure then the board are accountable. If however he is successful then how can it be ‘struck lucky’. He clearly wasn’t first choice originally or he would have been appointed earlier. Having deliberated for so long they must have been won over to the idea as I haven’t seen anyone having rejected us as yet. They have clearly been thorough but if it works out they deserve the plaudits as much as they deserve the criticism if it doesn’t.

Sorry I disagree. There isn't one bit of me that believes they think this is the best. In my opinion it is the only option left who would agree to the constrictions of control.

1 minute ago, nebristolred said:

We have many meltdowns on here let's face it. Whether it's transfers, or off the field, or yet another game without sacking X as manager.

But is it fair to say that this one feels different? A bit more severe?

Agreed, this one feels a bit like the beginning of the end. Fans trust will never be the same after this. 

8 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Imagine where we’ll finish when Fam and Eliasson’s goal contributions are taken out of the team, frightening 

Yep. You can’t help but think that we’re more likely writing ourselves into a relegation battle Than a promotion one. 

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Hang on, are we really talking about ‘root and branch changes’ here?  Only a few weeks ago we were still in with a shout of the play-offs, and while the failure to deliver that did require a change, I don’t think it represented complete failure.  Certainly not ripping it all up and starting again.  We have the nucleus of a very good squad, and some very good younger players to come in, so what we need is someone who can take us on from there.  I don’t see the fact that Holden was part of the previous managerial team as necessarily a problem, and in many ways it is an advantage, but the question is whether he has the ability to take us forward.  Sean Dyche was promoted from within at Watford: I wonder how many Watford fans thought that eight years later he’d be managing a top ten a Premier a League team?

It is the cheap option and all the rationalisation in the world will not change it. It is of no benefit knowing the players. You need a fresh approach and a fresh pair of eyes to challenge the squad. Not more of the same which will lead to complacency and stagnation. He was part of the coaching set up that the Board thought not good enough hence Johnson's departure. So how can  someone from that set up be the best option.

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Please don’t compare a man who’s won the champions league and one of England’s/Liverpool’s greatest ever midfielders with dean Holden who before becoming our caretaker manager Oldham for like 5 games.

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

The suggestion of root and branch changes was in the post I was replying to...but if it turns out that after an exhaustive international search for a manager to take the job the only available candidate to fit the role is Dean Holden something has gone fundamentally wrong. Fundamental change will be required to put it right. Frankly I don't see that change coming any time soon under the Lansdowns.

We underachieve. We finished 10th in the Championship a decade ago...after all those millions where are we today?

Yesterday I read name after name of successful mangers who were once assistants. Yes, it is possible that Dean Holden could be brilliant. It doesn't seem likely to me. The man appointing him, if it happens, also appointed Tins and Millen.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

One thing I’m clinging onto is that it’s ONLY Gregor reporting this still. You’d think if an appointment was imminent then other reporters would’ve picked up on it.

I’d agree if we were about to appoint Hughton as people actually know who he is. I can’t imagine many people outside our club give a toss we are about to appoint dean Holden 

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

I think he was just joking in fairness, not intended as an insult. 

I do wonder how Holden feels, he must be aware of it. Can’t be very nice.

No and it is important that outside readers are clear on what is discussed here. I haven’t read anything about DH to suggest he is anything but a decent, hardworking guy who takes his job very seriously, is ambitious and motivated and, if appointed would strive every sinew for Bristol City. 

My issue, and from reading on here a common view I think, is that we were given a lot of big talk and fine words from Management, waited 5 weeks and then the result is to appoint a very decent man but one with almost no experience as a first team coach and who many feel was at least partly to blame for the football served up over the last couple of years. 

If DH stayed as coach under a Head Coach manager with a better track record, Ivor one would be pleased that a dedicated decent man had kept his job. I just didn’t expect him to be in charge. , 

Archived