IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If the Board (Lansdown) do appoint Holden then they should be ashamed of how they have managed the process. It will give him the worst possible starting point and foundation for doing what must be a hugely challenging and exciting step in his career. He will face anger, disappointment and, in some unfortunate cases, probably abuse from the fan base that he is there to serve. He will be under massive negative pressure from the start and that stuff influences confidence and decision making in managers. Few people give of their best under these conditions.
None of this is his fault. This will be entirely the responsibility of a Board that have clearly made a complete pigs ear of this process.

if I was Holden, despite the temptation of this opportunity, I would be asking myself if I really wanted to accept the offer to be set up to fail. He has been through a lot in his life. He knows what is important and what isn’t. Is dealing with this plate of crap the Board have handed him worth the stress?

Of course they may appoint Hughton in which case ignore the above.

2 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

No and it is important that outside readers are clear on what is discussed here. I haven’t read anything about DH to suggest he is anything but a decent, hardworking guy who takes his job very seriously, is ambitious and motivated and, if appointed would strive every sinew for Bristol City. 

My issue, and from reading on here a common view I think, is that we were given a lot of big talk and fine words from Management, waited 5 weeks and then the result is to appoint a very decent man but one with almost no experience as a first team coach and who many feel was at least partly to blame for the football served up over the last couple of years. 

If DH stayed as coach under a Head Coach manager with a better track record, Ivor one would be pleased that a dedicated decent man had kept his job. I just didn’t expect him to be in charge. , 

Yep agreed

14 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

The model of our transfer policy - developing youth and selling at a premium, buying in young profitable players on the whole. If Hughton had said, no I am not doing that then I can see why the board stuck to their guns as much as it annoys me. I would have hoped they would have compromised seeing this as a golden opportunity.

I'm not sure we disagree...all I'm saying is that dressing up such a basic transfer policy as a 'model' suggests some kind of deeply thought through strategy...when in truth it's what clubs have always done. 

Mark Ashton buys cheap, tries to sell expensive. Great. Folk on market stalls the world over try to do that.

11 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

We have many meltdowns on here let's face it. Whether it's transfers, or off the field, or yet another game without sacking X as manager.

But is it fair to say that this one feels different? A bit more severe?

It is different. Because it categorically, unequivocally destroys any credibility Ashton and the club have to tell us that they have ambition to reach the Premier League.

It instantly creates a deep divide between the ambition and desires of the club’s supporters - who pay a lot of money - and the actions of the club’s senior leaders.

It is a monumentally damaging blow. Which is why I can’t begin to fathom why the club would even consider it.

And you also have people like me who generally take a more moderate position on things saying it. This is not the usual knee jerk overreaction of a vocal minority.

I do feel for Holden in all of this, assuming he’s being set up as a ‘ghost’ candidate to either pave the way in for Cook’s arrival (and avoidance of compensation payment to Wigan) or apply pressure on Hughton to reduce his demands. 

That said, suppose he will either get a large pay-off or retain his position as assistant... so probably best place to be is on holiday and try and avoid looking at the media. 

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Q: will our best players want to stay to work under Holden, as much as they would under a Hughton or a Cook?

This concerns me. 

And will new players want to come to a Bristol City managed by a Hughton or a Holden?

17 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Do you know what, until now I’d have jumped to SL’s defence in response to a post like this.

But for the first time I’m doubting SL and starting to agree. If we appoint Holden with the club having such strong foundations for a genuine push for the Premier League, with the club better placed than most to weather Covid, and a division now without any “big” clubs always likely to get there ahead of us...well how can I or anyone else defend that?

In short, there is no other plausible explanation for appointing Holden. 

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'm not we disagree...all I'm saying is that dressing up such a basic transfer policy as a 'model' suggests some kind of deeply thought through strategy...when in truth it's what clubs have always done. 

Mark Ashton buys cheap, tries to sell expensive. Great. Folk on market stalls the world over try to do that.

If Ashton moves on, get this guy in.

David Dickinson - Avalon

11 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

We have many meltdowns on here let's face it. Whether it's transfers, or off the field, or yet another game without sacking X as manager.

But is it fair to say that this one feels different? A bit more severe?

I think it is we've all had enough the expectations of the club has been built up so high that we still do the amateur things.. This isn't just about the managers position this is the way fans have been treated the way things are run ..I honestly now think we are voting on our feet.

25 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

After 5 weeks of deliberations if Holden turns out to be a failure then the board are accountable. If however he is successful then how can it be ‘struck lucky’. He clearly wasn’t first choice originally or he would have been appointed earlier. Having deliberated for so long they must have been won over to the idea as I haven’t seen anyone having rejected us as yet. They have clearly been thorough but if it works out they deserve the plaudits as much as they deserve the criticism if it doesn’t.

Seriously???

It seems obvious the only reason we’ve delayed so long is they’ve been desperately trying to get someone they can appoint, but can’t find a suitable candidate who’ll take the job on.

After drawing a complete blank, who else is there left?  Ah, this nice man Deano, so let’s just push how popular he is with the players.

This has got desperation written all over it.

If it is Holden then it is because the board think he is the best choice. They are the only ones who know all the facts and people are just disappointed because they can't see the rationale.  He seems popular with the players and knows the lads coming through into first team contention.  If he is happy to take on the job it should be with the support of fans.  It cannot be very pleasant for him to read or be told about some of the really unpleasant stuff about him on this forum.  Its almost as if people want him to fail so that their opinion is vindicated.  Personally I don't give a fig who coaches the team as long as they play attractive winning football - and we should give Dean (if it is him chosen) time to stamp his brand on the team. It is only fair to a decent man to give him a fair chance - whatever you may think about his appointment.

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

One thing I’m clinging onto is that it’s ONLY Gregor reporting this still. You’d think if an appointment was imminent then other reporters would’ve picked up on it.

The tweets from the players, Murray departing Twitter, Holden and Maccas good mate (and club employee?) Olly Slym tweeting support of the appointment.

It all seems to be lining up I'm afraid. 

Everyone at the club know the shit that's coming their way.

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

If it is Holden then it is because the board think he is the best choice. They are the only ones who know all the facts and people are just disappointed because they can't see the rationale.  He seems popular with the players and knows the lads coming through into first team contention.  If he is happy to take on the job it should be with the support of fans.  It cannot be very pleasant for him to read or be told about some of the really unpleasant stuff about him on this forum.  Its almost as if people want him to fail so that their opinion is vindicated.  Personally I don't give a fig who coaches the team as long as they play attractive winning football - and we should give Dean (if it is him chosen) time to stamp his brand on the team. It is only fair to a decent man to give him a fair chance - whatever you may think about his appointment.

Oh come on. You surely cannot believe that. 

39 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You seem to forget the majority were more than happy with Trump, Brexit and Johnson - the majority with a say voted for them.

We don't have a say on the new manager but the vast majority of City supporters are clearly vehemently against Holden's appointment, and the club will know that full well.

The anger is genuine and justified.

Well then if the majority is always wrong...

HOLDEN IN!!!

Dean Holden is a top man and you can’t blame him for applying for the job, and getting it if indeed he is appointed. Whilst he’s not my first choice and I think it’s a huge mistake, he’ll have my full backing.

Its the board that any anger should be directed to. They are the ones ultimately responsible for this.  Holden will do his best but if his remit will essentially be to ‘play the kids’ then he’s ultimately being set up to fail. If and when that happens, I hope us fans, sorry, customers remember that.  

5 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

Dean Holden is a top man and you can’t blame him for applying for the job, and getting it if indeed he is appointed. Whilst he’s not my first choice and I think it’s a huge mistake, he’ll have my full backing.

Its the board that any anger should be directed to. They are the ones ultimately responsible for this.  Holden will do his best but if his remit will essentially be to ‘play the kids’ then he’s ultimately being set up to fail. If and when that happens, I hope us fans, sorry, customers remember that.  

Sounds to me that it's all still up in the air at the moment 

12 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Rubbish. It’s the default fall-back option because they’ve failed miserably to attract the right coach.

And it’s completely incongruous with stated claims about ambition and our decision to dispense with LJ.

9 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

Agreed. As  much as I'm sure he'll be excited to get the job, I actually feel really sorry for him, due to all the negative reception he's getting, and it's pretty unjustified in that respect. I don't mean any of this as a dig at him at all. He might well be brilliant, I think we're just bored of being the club that takes the chance rather than letting someone else do it.

It's not his fault that genuinely better qualified candidates are about and he is the one that's chosen.

5 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

If nobody outside the boardroom knows the rationale, how does anyone else know they think he's the "best" choice and not just the easiest "fit"? I know why I'm disappointed thanks, and it's not because I don't know the rationale. I don't want him to fail, but having never managed before, he should be given a chance at a league 1 or 2 club, not an aspiring premiership one.  We've had enough inexperienced hit and hope, it's time for some tried and tested.

16 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

It concerns me that you were still LJ in until the very end and now you’ve written that first sentence that you cannot possibly believe. 

There were rumours on here a while back that the club planted people on this forum to tow the party line and I’m struggling to see any other reason for you having suggested Holden would be the right choice. 

You must be able to see that the only reason he’d be appointed would be to be a yes man. 

6 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Amazing how this thread is rumbling on - based on what?  Appointing Holden would be beyond bizarre and almost Championship suicide.

I agree with the sentiment, I think it’s based on the news from Gregor and the reaction of the bookies with Holden clear favourite at 4/9.

It won’t be his fault he gets appointed of course, and who can blame him for applying, but it’s a good job we aren’t able to attend games at the moment as I could see the crowd reaction being negative immediately. 

Hopefully this is all a smoke screen and Hughton gets the job. 

10 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Amazing how this thread is rumbling on - based on what?  Appointing Holden would be beyond bizarre and almost Championship suicide.

Agree red dog. I think another pole should now include Eddie Howe and John Terry. JT is looking like odds that are firming up.

30 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'm not sure we disagree...all I'm saying is that dressing up such a basic transfer policy as a 'model' suggests some kind of deeply thought through strategy...when in truth it's what clubs have always done. 

No fair point. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that Ashton et al have done it really well over the last 3 years and if some big name manager won't aggre to the confines, I can see why the board may not want them. I just wish they weren't so stubborn and see this as a golden opportunity to get a manager with pedigree in who could take us up.

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It concerns me that you were still LJ in until the very end and now you’ve written that first sentence that you cannot possibly believe. 

There were rumours on here a while back that the club planted people on this forum to tow the party line and I’m struggling to see any other reason for you having suggested Holden would be the right choice. 

You must be able to see that the only reason he’d be appointed would be to be a yes man. 

The club do have people contributing on this forum. 100% fact.

Archived