IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I really hope the Holden takes us up and some of the posters on this thread look back at it and apologise for being utterly embarrassing..! 

I actually believe that Holden will get support from most if he is given the job tbh as many people have the intelligence to see what is happening. If he was genuinely the number 1 choice and had utterly proven those credentials at interview he would already be in the job.

If it goes wrong then the dithering circus upstairs is an entirely different matter.

12 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Perfect illustration of how to completely misread a post.

Have you no answer then to me responding to your assumption that majority of Bristol City fans are entitled and just 'wrong' because you don't agree with them then?

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

How about people give him a chance before putting him down as the wrong choice..? 

Because of how it’s been handled. If the club sacked LJ and were totally upfront about it citing cost cutting - then appointing Holden immediately, people might understand.

The way they’ve taken so long, raised expectation and dithered about it has angered fans. 

If/when he’s appointed - people will obviously get behind the team. But it’s totally right that this appointment is scrutinised and criticised after the way it’s been handled.

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I really hope the Holden takes us up and some of the posters on this thread look back at it and apologise for being utterly embarrassing..! 

Bore off. I can’t think of any reason why anyone would be happy with appointing Holden

9 minutes ago, Cannybluff said:

Well, I agree with your points that being popular isn't a totally necessary prerequisite. However, I don't really believe that the process is in anyway related to it. It seemed you were saying he was being appointed due to his popularity? FWIW if Holden is appointed I will find it rather baffling that it has taken so long given our extensive search, home and abroad for an exciting manager. I feel we would have already known that holden was better than them all should that be the case.

The point was trying to make was similar to what you said be popular (with player, probs not the fans at this point?) should not matters and if this is/was taken into account then this a massive problem and the perceived player culture at the club (perhaps I did not put this across in the right way) . agree with you on the rest of the points it is absolutely baffling all round and cant wait to hear the spin the club try's to put on it if it happens..

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

“Oh look at me, look at me”

”I’m always right..”

I've not read every post on this thread....so apologies if this point has been made already....  but you can't help but think that the people saying that being popular with the players is a bad thing will be the very same people who accuse him of losing the dressing room if it goes wrong.

The appointment is the wrong one for me, I don't agree with it for a second, but a little balance is required in all of the criticism

10 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Oh dear. Really searching for excuses there chappers. Being a billionaire, extremely successful financial expert , I think we can all assume he had all basis covered. There’s absolutely nothing feasible that can explain this climb down . 

Apologies for adding reality into the debate. So obvious really, you just carry on spending money even though there is no indication of when there will be be any customer income, or how long it will last, or even whether there will actually be a full season.

9 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I do not believe it is fair or realistic to ignore the fact that Lee's very best players were sold and that, on top of that, injuries were a huge problem.

Why were we so shit after 4 months off and a fully fit squad? Why did he still not know his best 11 - given that he changed 8 players after 1 game?

9 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

How are we "no closer" ? When SL took over we'd spent only 6 of the previous 20 years at this level. Since then we've only spent 7 seasons outside of this level - and 12 of the last 14 seasons at this level sitting in and around the play off places for large parts of the last few seasons

I'd say we are much closer than we were when SL took over.

Sorry, i meant closer as in when we got back to the Championship under Cotts & all the talk of the Prem being the next step.

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Have you no answer then to me responding to your assumption that majority of Bristol City fans are entitled and just 'wrong' because you don't agree with them then?

Again, you have completely misunderstood or misread the post.

No point in debating something that is in your head but not in my post 

3 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

And we would all happily come back and apologise 

not gonna happen though is it 

Says who?!

Fans are right to be unhappy because its a massive risk we do not need to take.

But no one knows if he'll be a good manager or not. Its all guesswork at this point

9 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

How is it embarrassing people care about the club and how it is run? 

Appointing DH is like doing a 10 team accumulator. You can rationalise it and hell it can come in but in reality you lose over 99% of the time. DH would be a massive gamble that can undo all the good work the club has done these past 5 years establishing itself in the championship in the span of 8 months. 

People spend a lot of time talking and thinking about city on top of the money they spend on following it. They get told we want to go further with out next appointment then 5 weeks later we are left with Dean Holden being odds on To take over. 

13 minutes ago, Abingdon Red said:

I've reached the point where I dont care any more, just appoint someone who will get the team to play better football and who will give the academy players much more first team opportunities and I'll be happy.

Then I'm not sure you are going to be happy.

1 minute ago, Chappers said:

Apologies for adding reality into the debate. So obvious really, you just carry on spending money even though there is no indication of when there will be be any customer income, or how long it will last, or even whether there will actually be a full season.

I’m sure Chris Hughton would be realistic too and would not expect the kind of deal he might have pre COVID..  Holden won’t get us out of this division, not up anyway.. if promotion really remains the dream then what’s the point of throwing the anchor out?

16 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

As the old saying goes, “wish in one hand and shot in the other, and see which one fills up first!”

The idea of Holden taking us up is about as far from reality as it’s possible to get right now. Of course it could happen, but what evidence have you seen that he’s remotely qualified for the job? I’ve seen none. 

People said LJ was unqualified, and if that was true, what on earth does it make Holden? 

5 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Reality is the club will lose more money and support if relegated. Getting the right manager/hc can earn you money by getting more out of the playing staff. Hiring DH makes 0 sense. 

11 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I do not believe it is fair or realistic to ignore the fact that Lee's very best players were sold and that, on top of that, injuries were a huge problem.

Constant chopping and changing of team selection, not knowing best formation, strange substitutions, marginalising certain players without reason, publicly shaming players to the media, not taking responsibility for failure, signing players and not using them, direct and scrappy football, inability of team to create chances, a four game losing streak with a fully fit squad...

I don't think you've got that all covered Bat.

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Again, you have completely misunderstood or misread the post.

No point in debating something that is in your head but not in my post 

You'll always have the usual  entitled types with complete lack of perspective who go over the top, but they are always in the vast minority as they are in society thank God. They're just mouthy gobshites who will be enjoying this, nothing more than that.

^ That was your post

Is this you or another poster then? Seems like an indirect dig at vocal supporters on OTIB, social media who don't agree with the potential appointment of Dean Holden. 
But of course, i've misunderstood...

4 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Says who?!

Fans are right to be unhappy because its a massive risk we do not need to take.

But no one knows if he'll be a good manager or not. Its all guesswork at this point

Riaz....I was right about Lee Johnson, and the majority of us will be right about Holden 

Just won’t happen mate. 100%

10 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

How about people give him a chance before putting him down as the wrong choice..? 

The anger isn't aimed at holden why do you refuse to understand this?

The anger is aimed at the lansdowns and ashton for leading us down the garden path, for lying about the type of manager we had applying and for stringing the fan base along and allow this anger to fester by the wall of silence

This is then amplified by the moronic social media team posting click bait tweet increasing the anger further,

No wants holden to fail, no one,

They want the club to be run professionally,

The last 2 transfer windows and now this has shown them anything but,

People are fed up of the bullshit being spouted by ashton and lansdown Jr 

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Because of how it’s been handled. If the club sacked LJ and were totally upfront about it citing cost cutting - then appointing Holden immediately, people might understand.

The way they’ve taken so long, raised expectation and dithered about it has angered fans. 

If/when he’s appointed - people will obviously get behind the team. But it’s totally right that this appointment is scrutinised and criticised after the way it’s been handled.

Spot on, if DH was a possible replacement to LJ in the Clubs eyes then surely they should have interviewed him ASAP after LJ went and got him in ASAP to help with continuity, building for next season etc.

To take 5/6 weeks to appoint somebody you already had at the club is ridiculous, and I can see why fans have lost it.  

I don’t think anyone has anything against DH personally and if appointed straight away with reasons of cost cutting or Covid or whatever then at least you could understand it, but SL can’t now say he wants Prem football, interview the likes of Hughton supposedly, and after all of that say DH was the best candidate, I don’t buy it as it makes no sense based on experience and achievements in the game.

So hopefully IF they appoint DH they are honest about the reasons it was him but I doubt it.

As others have said, it seems SL is happy to spend his $$$$ on players but not the manager, like buying fancy Alloys but you don’t have a steering wheel!  Again makes no sense at all.

Nobody wanted LJ and in fairness he did well in his time, established the club etc etc so to take the next step you need someone who’s done it before IMO, not someone with even less experience than your last manager, where is the logic?  Nice guy or not, DH is a huge gamble for the club to take.  This is the first I can remember a new manager actually being in a good place to start the season ie. not coming in to fight relegation, And with DH IMO we are not taking the opportunity.

8 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Sorry, i meant closer as in when we got back to the Championship under Cotts & all the talk of the Prem being the next step.

That's possibly a fairer point, I dont know what went wrong with Cotts but from where we were when he left we're closer. Every season since we've been in the hunt for the playoffs until the last few games - although most of us agree that LJ couldnt get us over that line for whatever reason and those end of season games were disappointing.

On paper, we had a very good chance of making play offs when the league restarted. This season is the most disappointing for me

Archived