IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

I get that we're all a bit disappointed where this is going but, man alive, anybody would think Lansdown has burnt a million in front of our faces, sold the ground, and changed our name to Red Bull Bristol or something. 

Let's get some perspective. We might be about to appoint our assistant manager, probably on a short-term contract, in the midst of a global pandemic and widespread uncertainty. Some people won't have a football club to support this time next year. We appear to be acting like spoilt brats.

Here's one thing for certain though - the club desperately need a new Head of Communications.

They actually have one? I am gob smacked.

17 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep agreed. If the club are at all in tune with the mood music on here and other sites, I think it would be sensible to give an update.

I wouldn't usually advocate it, as fans don't need to know anything and it could give our rivals a competitive advantage. I think it's reached fever pitch with these Holden rumours, and the club need to act somehow.

I'm not entirely sure how that should happen, perhaps a short video interview with JL (reason being he's not Ashton who's taking the brunt of blame in this speculation), where he gives a broad update whilst not necessarily naming anyone or releasing any confidential info.

Like I said Foggers... A simple one liner from the chairman once a week is fine.... All we get is stupid tweets with red arrow's.

Maybe Holden was always the brains of the operation (thinking back to "the good times") and then LJ got too cocky and started chopping and changing the team in the face of all advice and generally becoming too big for his boots, hence falling out with the players. It's clear that DH didn't agree with LJs selections, hence the team changes when he became caretaker. 

Maybe we've made a smart move.

(Probably just ****** it though)

Well, IF it is Holden I'll be disappointed with the board but he'll get my support.

But, after thinking it would be him a couple of weeks ago, I've come back round to the idea that it is likely to be Hughton or someone else, it just doesn't make sense that it has gone on this long only to go back to square one. He would have been appointed one or two weeks ago imo.

There may be a myriad of reasons for the delay in getting the chosen candidate in but I'm now thinking it isn't going to be Holden or, if it is, it will be in his current caretaker capacity. 

I don't particularly care if the players like him, he is the manager and there to make difficult decisions not be their mate. 

We about to appoint a manager that no other league club would, even Bolton of League 2 overlooked him. 

The reason for this appointment is so Lansdown and Ashton can still hold power and have a significant input into the team and recruitment, no other credible manager would accept these conditions so that's what we get a ******* lapdog.

51 minutes ago, Matty Taylors a Red said:

I’d like to agree, reducing the clubs income is just cutting off your nose to spite your face, but what’s the alternative?

Fans need a way to make their voices heard. If the club go through with the appointment then they clearly don’t care what’s said online, and we can’t vote with our feet due to covid. Denting their pockets may be the only way we get them to listen.

I certainly don’t think we should just sit down, shut up and let Lansdown/Ashton do what they want with the club with no blacklash.

Well there is an alternative - which is to wait and see what happens first! Both in terms of the appointment being made, and then it's success.

As I've said above, I just don't accept that the Board are doing other than what they feel (rightly or wrongly) is the best thing. And ultimately they are accountable - not us. You know as well as I do that if Hughton got appointed and we struggled next season then most of the 95% or whatever voting for him as manager would be on here with the 'Hughton out' calls - that's the extent of our accountability and we're as fickle as hell - that's why they'll take what they read on here (if they do) with a pinch of salt. Rightly so.

2 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

Maybe Holden was always the brains of the operation (thinking back to "the good times") and then LJ got too cocky and started chopping and changing the team in the face of all advice and generally becoming too big for his boots, hence falling out with the players. It's clear that DH didn't agree with LJs selections, hence the team changes when he became caretaker. 

Maybe we've made a smart move.

(Probably just ****** it though)

At least the club know what they are getting with DH, but hopefully it's not all too familiar and we have another coach who basically does the same as LJ has just done if DH was in fact the brains behind the operation

2 hours ago, Riaz said:

Were you??!!

Werent you expecting relegation?? :laugh:

He did a good job here and turned us from relegation fodder to a top half club.

You were wrong

If I remember rightly I took money out of your pocket 

I kept telling you he would never get us in the playoffs. I was right 

I hadn’t said for a couple of years we would get relegated. In fact I actually said at the start of the last couple of seasons we wouldn’t get relegated....i just said he would never have the ability to get us in the top 6

I was right 

6 minutes ago, italian dave said:

You might be right. Or applicants might have rejected us. It might have been a miscalculation (balls up!). It might have been applicants not happy with the structure/Ashton/Lansdown's involvement. I guess that we'll never know. 

All I'm saying is that

a) the Lansdowns are here to stay and whatever the rights and wrongs of how they run the club and the relationship with the manager, it is what it is. And to be honest I'd rather end up with a manager who gets on with the Board than one who doesn't. The latter will only end one way, and that's not a good way for either him or the club.

b) however, and whoever we've got where we are, I just don't accept that's because anyone at Board level has done something they deliberately think isn't the best thing for the club. That was where my comment started (someone implying otherwise). 

I've supported City through more Chairmen and Managers than I can remember; I haven't liked them all, I haven't agreed with everything they've done, but with two exceptions I have always believed that they do what they do with the club's best interests at heart. (The two were Pulis - who's primary interest was money - and Osman - who's primary interest was Russel Osman. IMHO!)

a) well, if it ends up with winning the League by a country mile and winning a cup as well in the same season ala Cotts, I’m all for it personally. 

Dyna Red.... It's a waiting game. Let's not jump to a conclusion. 

What I will say is that it could be a handicap if the manager is overly pally with his players. There requires a decent element of respect, admiration and friendship and I would say friendship is in a distant 3rd place.

1 minute ago, AshtonG666 said:

There has been a suggestion there may be an update from the club later today, but they have stopped short of confirming if this is about the manager situation or just general day to day business

I'm kind of hoping it's to announce the latest in the new Hummel range

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

As the old saying goes, “wish in one hand and shot in the other, and see which one fills up first!”

The idea of Holden taking us up is about as far from reality as it’s possible to get right now. Of course it could happen, but what evidence have you seen that he’s remotely qualified for the job? I’ve seen none. 

People said LJ was unqualified, and if that was true, what on earth does it make Holden? 

What does that make Holden... the cheap option!

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Where have you seen this?

It's on the Epost Bristol website from Gregor at about 12.30 today:

"Believe there is going to be some news later today from the club. However might only be some contract updates at this point.

But that hopefully will be the start of things. At long last."

I'm guessing he posted that on Twitter

8 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Dyna Red.... It's a waiting game. Let's not jump to a conclusion. 

What I will say is that it could be a handicap if the manager is overly pally with his players. There requires a decent element of respect, admiration and friendship and I would say friendship is in a distant 3rd place.

The Better Recruiter: David Brent vs Michael Scott

15 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

If I remember rightly I took money out of your pocket 

I kept telling you he would never get us in the playoffs. I was right 

I hadn’t said for a couple of years we would get relegated. In fact I actually said at the start of the last couple of seasons we wouldn’t get relegated....i just said he would never have the ability to get us in the top 6

I was right 

pretty sure when he first come in, you and most city fans said he'd get us relegated.

And who knows what would have happened this season if he didnt lose Brownhill and Webster

22 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Well, IF it is Holden I'll be disappointed with the board but he'll get my support.

But, after thinking it would be him a couple of weeks ago, I've come back round to the idea that it is likely to be Hughton or someone else, it just doesn't make sense that it has gone on this long only to go back to square one. He would have been appointed one or two weeks ago imo.

There may be a myriad of reasons for the delay in getting the chosen candidate in but I'm now thinking it isn't going to be Holden or, if it is, it will be in his current caretaker capacity. 

Hughton with Holden assist would be fine with me 

49 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I am sure that Dean Holden is a good coach and quite capable of handing out bollockings when they’re merited, after all it’s his job on the line if the players screw up.

You have touched on one of my concerns, it would be easier to attract the type of player corresponding to our stated desire to get into the Prem if we had a coach on board who can back up his ideas with proof that they work. A sort of ‘ show us your medals ‘ mentality is prominent in competitive sports. 

So gaffer?  ... 

I think that is a valid concern.  The hope is he’s one of those managers that is successful without playing at the highest level.  Maybe he learned loads from Colin Todd and then Sam Allardyce in his days at Bolton. Or John Sheridan at Oldham. Or Dean Smith at Walsall.

@italian dave good couple of posts above too.

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The tweets from the players, Murray departing Twitter, Holden and Maccas good mate (and club employee?) Olly Slym tweeting support of the appointment.

It all seems to be lining up I'm afraid. 

Everyone at the club know the shit that's coming their way.

I may be wrong, but it looks like Tinnion has taken himself off Twitter aswell now

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He has, I think it's a bit odd that they both have. Could be unrelated to this appointment but could be in anticipation of getting caught up in criticism if/when Holden is appointed?

Can't say I blame them. They'll be getting tagged in hundreds of angry tweets that they can't respond to, let alone act upon.

Archived