IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He has, I think it's a bit odd that they both have. Could be unrelated to this appointment but could be in anticipation of getting caught up in criticism if/when Holden is appointed?

It’s a bit coincidental that they both have, so something must be going on. Either fed up with being pestered, or because they know what’s coming and wanna avoid the chaos

21 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

This has now become Schrödinger's Appointment.

I simultaneously don't want Holden to get the job whilst also wanting the club to get on and appoint him so we can all move on. 

I'd rather wait than appoint Holden

5 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Dean's just checked out of his caravan at Brean, if the M5 isn't too bad traffic wise he should be on the roof by 1600 o'clock.

With his suspected new salary increase, maybe next summer he might be in a position to upgrade and do a long weekend in sunny Clevedon

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think that is a valid concern.  The hope is he’s one of those managers that is successful without playing at the highest level.  Maybe he learned loads from Colin Todd and then Sam Allardyce in his days at Bolton. Or John Sheridan at Oldham. Or Dean Smith at Walsall.

@italian dave good couple of posts above too.

Well Chris Wilder at Sheffield United hasn’t done so bad, for not playing at the highest level.

4 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Like I said twice before and just now on Ashton thread... Perhaps there are a number of redundancies. Tinnion, Murray even Ashton... Under cover of covid it makes it a lot easier. ... And then.... A big pleasing announcement. 

The cynic in me thinks maybe Ashton will try putting up a smokescreen of austerity by throwing much loved ex players under the bus in the name of belt tightening, then announce Holden as having to cut their cloth accordingly, yes totally fanciful, if only the club would communicate people would not fill in the blanks, something is up with all this.

7 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Like I said twice before and just now on Ashton thread... Perhaps there are a number of redundancies. Tinnion, Murray even Ashton... Under cover of covid it makes it a lot easier. ... And then.... A big pleasing announcement. 

Perhaps Murray is paying for the shin pad incident ? 

25 minutes ago, Will b11 said:

Hughton with Holden assist would be fine with me 

Would make sense to me.  Then when Hughton leaves, you have a genuine manager who has served an apprenticeship (hopefully).

Club could also then replace DH with another 'up and coming manager'.  So you have contingency.

Wont happen Im sure,  but could at least work and keep a consistency at the club

1 minute ago, AshtonG666 said:

It is getting boring and extremely embarrassing now how long this is all taking

I thought MA classed himself as a smart and savy negotiator and business man

Which may suggest he is on his way to the Hawthorns for an offer he cannot refuse and thrown City a curve ball.... I can see Jon now... Flailing arms in the board room on the phone to Dad who is pissed enough without his son throwing a wobbly while sipping Pina coladas in his pool in Guernsey.

In my opinion, the most frustrating part of this is that IF Holden is appointed and it doesn't go well, there is no way the likes of Hughton would be applying again when we next have a vacancy. 

5 weeks searching for a new manager and we are set to turn down a manager who is overqualified for the job to employ Holden. It is a huge risk. 

If we regress this season under Holden, the next set of applicants will be very middle of the road men. Those who weren't excited by the prospect of Lowe, Robins etc should brace themselves for what is possibly to come in the future. 

45 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Well there is an alternative - which is to wait and see what happens first! Both in terms of the appointment being made, and then it's success.

As I've said above, I just don't accept that the Board are doing other than what they feel (rightly or wrongly) is the best thing. And ultimately they are accountable - not us. You know as well as I do that if Hughton got appointed and we struggled next season then most of the 95% or whatever voting for him as manager would be on here with the 'Hughton out' calls - that's the extent of our accountability and we're as fickle as hell - that's why they'll take what they read on here (if they do) with a pinch of salt. Rightly so.

Whilst I don't agree entirely with you I think it's fair, once the appointment is made, to say 'wait and see'. I don't doubt that the Board - which is rather a grand term for what is Steve, his mate, his son and Ashton - are doing what Steve thinks is the best thing. I doubt, on the basis of past failures, that it will necessarily be what I happen think is the best. But as you say he's accountable, if only to Maggie.

I know that my reaction, if Holden is appointed, will be the same as when Tinnion and Millen got the jobs. I will indeed 'wait and see' - whether my assumptions that things won't go well are proved right, and in the meantime do something else on Saturday afternoons. I've always returned when a decent manager turns up. And then I get back on the road and up and down the country.

After 40 plus years I don't consider myself fickle...it's just that fortunately life has other attractions, often more reliably satisfying and uplifting than Bristol City! 

Just now, Suffolk Red said:

Perhaps Murray and Tins have said too much and been ordered to remove social media by the club.

Perhaps the new manager (Hughton) is old school when it comes to social media and introduced a new rule that no playing or coaching member of staff can be on it. Here's hoping. ??

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Perhaps Murray is paying for the shin pad incident ? 

What was that about?

He has not been sacked has he?

2 minutes ago, Suffolk Red said:

Perhaps Murray and Tins have said too much and been ordered to remove social media by the club.

Have they closed their accounts for good?

2 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

What was that about?

He has not been sacked has he?

Have they closed their accounts for good?

You can still find Tinnion’s but no tweets load. Something has happened. Let’s hope they’re not protecting themselves from the shit storm. 

12 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Well Chris Wilder at Sheffield United hasn’t done so bad, for not playing at the highest level.

Exactly.  I wasn’t being critical, just saying Major had valid concerns.  I think a stellar playing career in the top flight comes with no guarantees...although I think there are pros....as well as cons.

I’ve posted lots on the likes of Klopp, Mourinho, Wenger etc.  The one thing they had in common was a respected “mentor”, either as a player or as a coach in their formative years..

LJ had his dad.

Dean Holden has some useful names in his back catalogue.  That is what I hope he brings to the party.

I wish the board had found a candidate more fans could see the logic in...but it appears they have t for whatever reason.  I will get right behind Holden.

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

You can still find Tinnion’s but no tweets load. Something has happened. Let’s hope they’re not protecting themselves from the shit storm. 

Suspect it’s a little bit of cautiousness of club that they don’t get tagged into various rants on twitter which would not look good.

I don’t think it’s more sinister than that.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Would be nice, sadly I think it's probably going to be him so that won't happen ☹️

I also predict a big patronising social media campaign of 'Get Behind Deano' if he's appointed, trying to make people dissenters or sceptics look bad for 'not supporting' a good man.

Thats already started with players retweeting and ex players telling us what to think 

13 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

In my opinion, the most frustrating part of this is that IF Holden is appointed and it doesn't go well, there is no way the likes of Hughton would be applying again when we next have a vacancy. 

5 weeks searching for a new manager and we are set to turn down a manager who is overqualified for the job to employ Holden. It is a huge risk. 

If we regress this season under Holden, the next set of applicants will be very middle of the road men. Those who weren't excited by the prospect of Lowe, Robins etc should brace themselves for what is possibly to come in the future. 

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Hate to sound like the club but there is a project here going on behind scenes. The new training ground, Ashton gate etc... I still think we’d be attractive but you’re right, probably not as much as we are now.

Archived