IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Looking back now at Dean Holden’s presser for the PNE game, he was really upbeat and almost seemed like he had some good news with his awkward smile...

I wonder if he knew he was in the frame then.

It’s funny because the pre-match presser (I think it was Preston) I commented on how down he seemed, like he’d been told he’d be moving on too.  He seemed choked, not his usual self.  Others commented too.    Maybe he was told he’d be keeping his job no matter what.

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Valid points but from a board/club perspective it feels counterproductive. The uncertainty does no one any good. Surely it’s better to announce it - even if it’s with relatively little fanfare.

Feels very a strange PR strategy. Perhaps they’re going to announce some good signings as early as possible to dampen the blow. If Eliasson and Diedhiou both go, that’s more bad PR from two popular players leaving. Dean will have his work cut out, he’s going to have to start very well.

I agree, club / board have ran a very covert recruitment process.  Unfortunately the club can’t control all variables or leaks.  The world of football talks, especially Agents.  And being covert whilst whispers go on, they’ve got close to appointing the worst person possible in some fans eyes.

The playing squad, either keeping certain players or bringing new ones in, will be the only real way of quelling the anger of fans.  A good, string announcement message might cool it for about 30 seconds!!

5 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

The Eliasson situation is getting weirder, if this article from a couple of days ago (https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-winger-opens-up-4392893.amp) is up to date then Nic was in Sweden this week and since Sweden is not on the safe travel list he’ll have to quarantine for two weeks when he gets back, meaning he’ll miss most of preseason. 

There are possibly exceptions for those being tested under a protocol like the EFL are conducting.

8 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Yep, it happens when we are in a bad patch, ashton and co disappear,

Its called bad leadership 

I would imagine both Ashton and JL are embarrassed about the whole process they are overseeing and neither wants to break cover.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's simply that 2 ego's couldn't agree with the correct approach to take and we have got left with Holden.  

If JL got his choice and Ashton is sulking then I cant imagine Ashton is keen to provide an update and vice versa 

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

where has anyone said they hope he fails? I haven't seen one post

I have seen such a post but have no idea how to search for it amongst all the various threads and thousands of postings.  There are some amongst us who need to have a word with themselves!!

57 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Not sure if there will be a need for humble pie, Dean may well be successful though I doubt it. For me it's the frustration of the opportunity we are missing yet again. 

The club has been on the up and progressing to the place we find ourselves now at a crossroads, push the boat out or regress. We have great facilities, a rich benefactor, squad full of mainly young talent, good reputation (until this debacle). 

This season the division will have lost the really big teams and looks ripe for ambitious team with good foundations to make a push towards becoming a top team in this division or even promotion.

It's almost the perfect storm, how often do you get to kick on and make an appointment of the stature of someone like Hughton and everything he brings to the club, you can't guarantee success but you can mitigate that by appointing the best possible man for the job.

Instead we're appointing a man that no other club in the Championship would appoint and risk regressing back to a to yoyo championship club, what a waste of time and effort. We have been here many times in the past, Lumsdon, Fawthrop, Tinnion and Millen I doubt we will have another opportunity like this for a very long time. 

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I wish SL managed us like the rugby club and let people with expertise in the sport manage the club but he cannot see beyond his master plan and bootroom ideology and it fails time and time again. 

Opportunity lost, I guess it's all bullshit when our board talk about the Premier League, talk is cheap Mr Lansdown.

You echo much of what I hear on here.

Essentially people allowed themselves, quite justifiably, to get excited. Finally "little old Bristol City" seemed on the verge of making a "statement of intent" by appointing a manager with an impressive CV. With that came that evil mistress known as Hope. Hope that perhaps we were about to stop being that "premier league team in waiting" or the "sleeping giant" we are so often called. The interviews and soundbites quoted at length on this forum fed that hope.

Five weeks later and to many it looks likely that we were given (or gave ourselves) false hope. In fact it looks as though we are going to do what we see ourselves as always doing - appointing someone who doesn't so obviously represent a step forward. 

This appointment, if it happens, seemingly reinforces the view that I think many fans have of us. We're a relatively inconsequential club in the grand scheme of English football. It's not to say we are "big" or "small"...we're just not really thought about by most fans/media around the country. In my experience most English fans I mention us to meet me with neither hostility nor adulation, but rather just a polite "Oh right. How are you doing at the moment?" accompanied by a small shrug and a quiet sip of a pint. Most foreign fans need an explanation of where Bristol even is. If we appoint Holden then the feeling is that those reactions continue. Perhaps the hope was that Hughton would at least signify recognition.

Instead fans are facing a sickening dose of a reality that many had convinced themselves we had escaped. The hope of an appointment to justify the "premier league team in waiting" tag, and perhaps to awaken the sleeping giant has seemingly been crushed.

In place of that hope come anger, disappointment, disillusionment, and concern.

It isn't a good thing. 

4 minutes ago, haggis_farewell said:

I think all of us want to see City succeed, regardless of who the manager is. We just strongly disagree that this is the right person to achieve the club's stated ambitions.

I am clearly not one of your "we"! For all the reasons I have previously posted and the fact that he is very popular with the players, I think he could well be an excellent choice. Time will tell, I just hope that if he is selected he will be given enthusiastic support.

3 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I have seen such a post but have no idea how to search for it amongst all the various threads and thousands of postings.  There are some amongst us who need to have a word with themselves!!

Pic or it didn’t happen 

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

You echo much of what I hear on here.

Essentially people allowed themselves, quite justifiably, to get excited. Finally "little old Bristol City" seemed on the verge of making a "statement of intent" by appointing a manager with an impressive CV. With that came that evil mistress known as Hope. Hope that perhaps we were about to stop being that "premier league team in waiting" or the "sleeping giant" we are so often called. The interviews and soundbites quoted at length on this forum fed that hope.

Five weeks later and to many it looks likely that we were given (or gave ourselves) false hope. In fact it looks as though we are going to do what we see ourselves as always doing - appointing someone who doesn't so obviously represent a step forward. 

This appointment, if it happens, seemingly reinforces the view that I think many fans have of us. We're a relatively inconsequential club in the grand scheme of English football. It's not to say we are "big" or "small"...we're just not really thought about by most fans/media around the country. In my experience most English fans I mention us to meet me with neither hostility nor adulation, but rather just a polite "Oh right. How are you doing at the moment?" accompanied by a small shrug and a quite sip of a pint. Most foreign fans need an explanation of where Bristol even is. If we appoint Holden then the feeling is that those reactions continue. Perhaps the hope was that Hughton would at least signify recognition.

Instead fans are facing a sickening dose of a reality that many had convinced themselves we had escaped. The hope of an appointment to justify the "premier league team in waiting" tag, and perhaps to awaken the sleeping giant has seemingly been crushed.

In place of that hope come anger, disappointment, disillusionment, and concern.

It isn't a good thing. 

The best post I have seen on the subject and exactly how I feel. It’s not because I feel the club is badly run, or controlled by bad people, but just that they keep making the same mistakes in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I would now fall on the side of arguing that this manager search has damaged our reputation both internally and externally to a point where it’ll take a while to repair.

The complete lack of communication and, on the face of it lack of cohesion around who and what we were looking for after the best part of five weeks, bearing in mind the position we were in pre-lockdown is borderline incompetence from the club. Something has clearly gone very wrong and we are in complete recovery mode even before an appointment has been made.

The fact that we are 17th favourites for this division next season according to the bookmakers, when pre-lockdown we could and arguably should have made the top 6 is mind-boggling and completely baffling.

5 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I am clearly not one of your "we"! For all the reasons I have previously posted and the fact that he is very popular with the players, I think he could well be an excellent choice. Time will tell, I just hope that if he is selected he will be given enthusiastic support.

What is your rationale for thinking he would be an 'excellent choice'? Apart from the impossible to prove claims that he's popular with players. 

we’ve got a lot of good applicants.

The aim is to get us into the Premier League as soon as we can.”

When it comes to the crunch, he (Johnson) hasn’t got us over the line and we felt it was time to make the move, to make a change for someone who can help us make that next step.

We felt if we were going to make a change we should start now, bring a breath of fresh air into the club, everyone was on a downer at the point and anybody coming in gets plenty of time for the new season.”

How does appointing Dean Holden, and taking such a long time to do it, satisfy any of the conditions and claims that Lansdown has spelled out in this interview?

10 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I apologise to all those who do not seem to detect a negative vibe towards DH in vast numbers of the postings on all the various threads about the change of manager.  There have even been people saying that they hope he fails. Not a time for virtue signalling but a time to get behind Dean Holden IF he is the chosen one.  We have no idea if the other candidates made unreasonable demands or were not suited to the job specification on offer. People who would trash their season cards, never go again or refuse to buy merchandise - can hardly claim to be supportive of whoever gets the job or the club itself. 

To be fair though, if we've interviewed half a dozen or so external candidates and they're all deemed to be making unreasonable demands and/or not meeting the job spec, that is quite worrying. 

Is the job spec so specific, that only coaches with very limited experience and/or limited scope of finding coaching employment elsewhere, fit the description? If so that aint great surely?

If you got offered a job that could potentially set you up for life surely you would cancel your holidays and be on the first flight home?

If it's been reported that we're waiting for Dean Holden, yes Dean Holden, not Hughton or any other big managerial name to return from his holiday to announc this appointment then that is crazy.

Being popular with the players is not necessary a good thing .

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

What is your rationale for thinking he would be an 'excellent choice'? Apart from the impossible to prove claims that he's popular with players. 

How does appointing Dean Holden, and taking such a long time to do it, satisfy any of the conditions that Lansdown has spelled out in this interview?

Simple - having assessed the other candidates the board select the one they believe will stand the best chance of success. Maybe they have faith in the project that they embarked upon and the methods that they chose to achieve this end.

Just now, glen humphries said:

Being popular with the players is not necessary a good thing .

Probably better than being detested by them!

8 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

You you haven't then,

No one wants city to fail but the vast majority are rightly passed off with yet another poor appointment and are rightly starting to question the club over it,

You suggest we should roll over and accept it, i know another set of fans not so far from here who do that, they ended up in the conference and out of a home

1 minute ago, sludge said:

To be fair though, if we've interviewed half a dozen or so external candidates and they're all deemed to be making unreasonable demands and/or not meeting the job spec, that is quite worrying. 

Is the job spec so specific, that only coaches with very limited experience and/or limited scope of finding coaching employment elsewhere, fit the description? If so that aint great surely?

Maybe that is where the time has gone - tweaking/changing the structure and going back to candidates.

1 minute ago, Ron Swanson said:

If you got offered a job that could potentially set you up for life surely you would cancel your holidays and be on the first flight home?

If it's been reported that we're waiting for Dean Holden, yes Dean Holden, not Hughton or any other big managerial name to return from his holiday then that is crazy.

Exactly. A holiday should not be holding up proceedings. This is why I still have some hope. 

Just now, Ron Swanson said:

If it's been reported that we're waiting for Dean Holden, yes Dean Holden, not Hughton or any other big managerial name to return from his holiday then that is crazy.

“Take your time Dean, we’ve got Gregor drip feeding hints every other day about what to expect, sooner or later they’ll just accept it, it’ll all be fine”

33 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I hope you all have to scoff 'umble pie because all this negative stuff about Dean Holden (if he is actually chosen) is disrespectful. He is a decent man and deserves to be given a fair chance and deserves the support of fans, whatever their view on who they would have preferred for the job.  If we can be really positive, maybe this will benefit the very young players who are going to make a real splash this coming season. Please don't let the "so called" fans drown them in a sea of negativity!

I think it's possible to make a separation between how you feel about an appointment and how you'll react to the new manager both on here if and when we can make it to Ashton Gate.

Like many supporters, I'm massively underwhelmed by Holden and cannot see the reason why the club are going for him rather than other managers in the frame. To be clear, I would have understood it if, back when LJ was sacked, the club's communications had pressed the need for austerity and continuity in the weight of COVID and said an internal appointment was best for the financial and practical stability of the club. But, given SL talked about wanting to bring in someone "fresh" and MA's talk about an ambitious range of applicants, along with SL making clear that the aim was to get someone in who could take "the next step" to promotion, it's pretty clear 'austerity' wasn't the plan at the start. I thought Holden did okay as caretaker manager but was slow to make subs or changes to the starting line-up even when the players were clearly exhausted and he has not done enough to make me excited about the job. This, combined with the mixed messages from the club, does give me a lack of faith in the senior leadership at the moment.

BUT, if he gets the job, I will obviously want him to do as well as possible and I will support him in what he tries to do. But I think it is possible to support the manager whilst doubting that he was the right choice and I honestly don't think the current ambivalence to his appointment means supporters will refuse to give him a fair chance. But I do think it means there will be a lot of anger towards the club if his reign ends in disappointment. 

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

You you haven't then,

No one wants city to fail but the vast majority are rightly passed off with yet another poor appointment and are rightly starting to question the club over it,

You suggest we should roll over and accept it, i know another set of fans not so far from here who do that, they ended up in the conference and out of a home

If it is Dean Holden you appear to be writing off his chances of success even before he has had his name put on the door.  Maybe the fans are not right in this case.

57 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

Compare this interview to what is happening now. That’s why everyone is so annoyed.

Only the silence is bothering people; like i have been saying the Chairman merely needs to come out with regular update statements.. if they are doing a root and branch overhaul here and its taking a lot of time to get it all in place then fine but just put the fan base and journalists minds in a place where they back off and wait and get behind you. 

Jon??

9 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Be very interesting to see who does announce this. If it is indeed Jon Lansdown, then i think it's safe to assume Ashton will be packing his bags fairly quickly.

I suspect that would indeed be the case.

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

Simple - having assessed the other candidates the board select the one they believe will stand the best chance of success. Maybe they have faith in the project that they embarked upon and the methods that they chose to achieve this end.

With all due respect you can’t seriously believe That, after 5 weeks we’re seriously considering appointing the man who was number 2 to our last failed manager, ( Steve landsdown said lj failed) you can dress it up anyway you want to but the truth is we’ve totally ****** this up and look a complete shambles.

Probably better than being detested by them!

Project? effing ROFL.

Archived