IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

Simple - having assessed the other candidates the board select the one they believe will stand the best chance of success. Maybe they have faith in the project that they embarked upon and the methods that they chose to achieve this end.

Ok then, to simplify it - how is Holden the best candidate when for achieving ANY of the below? These are things Lansdown told TalkSport.

“we’ve got a lot of good applicants.” - How have we likely ended up with an inexperienced internal appointment as the best possible applicant then?

somene who can “get us into the Premier League as soon as we can" - What credentials has Holden got that Holden or Cook haven't? 

“bring a breath of fresh air into the club” - Holden has been here nearly as long as Johnson

“everyone was on a downer at the point and anybody coming in gets plenty of time for the new season.” - It's taken over a month to appoint a successor

6 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

If you got offered a job that could potentially set you up for life surely you would cancel your holidays and be on the first flight home?

If it's been reported that we're waiting for Dean Holden, yes Dean Holden, not Hughton or any other big managerial name to return from his holiday to announcement this appointment then that is crazy.

I wouldn't mind but he went to Weston on his hols.

If it is Dean Holden you appear to be writing off his chances of success even before he has had his name put on the door.  Maybe the fans are not right in this case.

he has nothing to back up his credentials so we have a right to question,

He has had two spells as caretaker both were underwhelming at best

Where as another manager we know was interviewed has promotions and prem experience under his belt

On paper the best candidate is not getting the job

The fact its coming up to 6 weeks now shows the incompatance at the head of the club

The recruitment strategy is a shambles 

This has all the hall marks of millen and our slow slide back to league one, 

History is repeating itself and the club need to be held to account

7 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Simple - having assessed the other candidates the board select the one they believe will stand the best chance of success. Maybe they have faith in the project that they embarked upon and the methods that they chose to achieve this end.

Probably better than being detested by them!

Obviously, he might be popular with them because they know their in for a easy ride if he gets appointed.

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think it's possible to make a separation between how you feel about an appointment and how you'll react to the new manager both on here if and when we can make it to Ashton Gate.

Like many supporters, I'm massively underwhelmed by Holden and cannot see the reason why the club are going for him rather than other managers in the frame. To be clear, I would have understood it if, back when LJ was sacked, the club's communications had pressed the need for austerity and continuity in the weight of COVID and said an internal appointment was best for the financial and practical stability of the club. But, given SL talked about wanting to bring in someone "fresh" and MA's talk about an ambitious range of applicants, along with SL making clear that the aim was to get someone in who could take "the next step" to promotion, it's pretty clear 'austerity' wasn't the plan at the start. I thought Holden did okay as caretaker manager but was slow to make subs or changes to the starting line-up even when the players were clearly exhausted and he has not done enough to make me excited about the job. This, combined with the mixed messages from the club, does give me a lack of faith in the senior leadership at the moment.

BUT, if he gets the job, I will obviously want him to do as well as possible and I will support him in what he tries to do. But I think it is possible to support the manager whilst doubting that he was the right choice and I honestly don't think the current ambivalence to his appointment means supporters will refuse to give him a fair chance. But I do think it means there will be a lot of anger towards the club if his reign ends in disappointment. 

I agree with your first sentence. I am not off-pissed with the selection, if in fact it is Dean Holden. I could see how he could do well.

The interviewing and other processes that the club have been engaged with may have simply confirmed Dean Holden as the best choice after an objective process to find the best candidate.  I have faith that the board, who also want us to succeed, will have considered all this very carefully.  Most managerial reigns end in disappointment, but I hope that, if it is Dean Holden, he has every success imaginable.

6 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

If it is Dean Holden you appear to be writing off his chances of success even before he has had his name put on the door.  Maybe the fans are not right in this case.

No one is stating they are right.  They are expressing concern as to how wise it is giving the job of a coach to someone who has not been a proven coach.   Jeez.

1 hour ago, Yozzarian said:

Not that it means a thing but Murray was smiing and joking outside the ground when I walked past yesterday. Didn't look like he had heard bad news.

He's not long posted video on Instagram - looks like from training ground ...saying right then ...make of that what you will

6 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

With all due respect you can’t seriously believe That, after 5 weeks we’re seriously considering appointing the man who was number 2 to our last failed manager, ( Steve landsdown said lj failed) you can dress it up anyway you want to but the truth is we’ve totally ****** this up and look a complete shambles.

We simply do not know what went on in the boardroom. Maybe a young energetic and popular Mr Holden outshone a good old school manager nearing 62, who wanted to completely change the ethos of the club?  I have an open mind and doubt if we will ever really know. We just have to have faith in the smart, experience and well motivated people who run Bristol City.

I posted on another thread a while back, this decision was the transparent one. Who we pick tells us what our true ambitions are. Forget the PR chat from Ashton, this is all about making a statement, one way or the other.

I truly believe that the forthcoming season is the most wide open the league has ever seen, FFP unlikely to be enforced, multiple clubs in danger of points deductions, short pre season with the transfer window open until Oct, this is the time to take leadership IF you have the means to do so. Which surely we do?  By waiting so long we have lost an advantage already. It's really disappointing to see that, but the club has to act now. 

It surely now has to be Holden, we will then lose Fam and Nic, I think he has a job on to keep us up. 

If we had appointed Hughton, lets say, we may now have players contracts sorted, players in talks, pre season sorted. I would then say we were top 6 material. 

My rambled point is this. We have fought so hard against the big boys for 3/4 years, and now the door has opened for us, and we are walking away. 

3 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I agree with your first sentence. I am not off-pissed with the selection, if in fact it is Dean Holden. I could see how he could do well.

The interviewing and other processes that the club have been engaged with may have simply confirmed Dean Holden as the best choice after an objective process to find the best candidate.  I have faith that the board, who also want us to succeed, will have considered all this very carefully.  Most managerial reigns end in disappointment, but I hope that, if it is Dean Holden, he has every success imaginable.

The trouble is the people making the decisions are not football people, John landsdown doesn’t come across as though he understands football and Steve certainly doesn’t.

We simply do not know what went on in the boardroom. Maybe a young energetic and popular Mr Holden outshone a good old school manager nearing 62, who wanted to completely change the ethos of the club?  I have an open mind and doubt if we will ever really know. We just have to have faith in the smart, experience and well motivated people who run Bristol City.

We’ve a really bad record in appointing managers , doesn’t exactly give me confidence that they know what their doing.

1 minute ago, frenchred said:

Let's all take a sun knob head journalists point of view then!

He’s got a point though.

3 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

The trouble is the people making the decisions are not football people, John landsdown doesn’t come across as though he understands football and Steve certainly doesn’t.

I’d wager a bet that he wouldn’t even understand a nursery rhyme - Jon that is, not Steve, he knows them all.

1 minute ago, glen humphries said:

I'm not sure what you would class as "football people" they have both had many years or nearly a decade in running a football club.  I expect that they would be a great deal more experienced than virtually everyone on this forum. If we have to have confidence in them or the forum, then I choose them.

Just now, Bat Fastard said:

I'm not sure what you would class as "football people" they have both had many years or nearly a decade in running a football club.  I expect that they would be a great deal more experienced than virtually everyone on this forum. If we have to have confidence in them or the forum, then I choose them.

but not more experienced then a 62 year old manager with numerous promotions on his cv,

If as you suggested he pointed out that citys strategy is wrong and we need wholesale changes and the board have chosen to ignore a far more experienced football man then themselves, then they are incompatant 

6 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

You're correct we do not know.   So maybe what you put forward happened?  And equally maybe it didn't.

I think the lack of transparency and communication has been poor.

Many have pointed out the conflcting comments from SL and what has since happened as cause for concern.  If you decide you "just have to have faith", that is your choice.  But equally others are entitled to ask questions where there looks to be a disconnect.

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

but not more experienced then a 62 year old manager with numerous promotions on his cv,

If as you suggested he pointed out that citys strategy is wrong and we need wholesale changes and the board have chosen to ignore a far more experienced football man then themselves, then they are incompatant 

We are trying to run a football club in a certain way, whereas old style managers might want to do things in a different way. It is probably daft to overturn the whole way the club is run and operates to accommodate the views of a fairly old manager, who will not last for many years but would leave behind the wreckage of his methods.  We are right to stick to the plan, which is, in my opinion, a good 'un.

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

A month or so ago you and others were telling me - just be patient, our brilliant owner and his "Board" (ha ha) know what they are doing

Archived