IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Part of me has been wondering if Eddie Howe was our number one target all along

Lots of talk that regardless of whether they stayed up or not, he was leaving Bournemouth at the  end of the season. 

Maybe he (through agents) had agreed verbally to come here. I know people believe he could do better, but the reality is he likes living down South. There's no better opportunity available for him where he doesn't have to relocate

Maybe it was the plan all along before deciding that he actually needed some time away from the game .

Something has clearly happened . I don't believe for one second this process has taken 5 weeks and we end up with Holden as he is the best man for the job 

Something must have happened that we are not privvy to 

Well if it is Dean I guess we'd have to get behind him. My concern is that if the board have decided on him based on the few games at the end of the season then that's wrong. We had nothing to loose/play for hence why he probably went with Andi and Pato in midfield, can't see that happening with something to play for. Few players won't be here who played well like Benkovic. 

2nd the stories that the players like him? To me it could mean that they see him as a soft touch and can get away with playing badly, training poor etc and not run the risk of a bollocking which they'd get with a more high profile manager like Hughton especially if we're not going to be too active in the transfer market. Safe places in the team as we're not going to play too many youngsters 

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

Part of me has been wondering if Eddie Howe was our number one target all along

Lots of talk that regardless of whether they stayed up or not, he was leaving Bournemouth at the  end of the season. 

Maybe he (through agents) had agreed verbally to come here. I know people believe he could do better, but the reality is he likes living down South. There's no better opportunity available for him where he doesn't have to relocate

Maybe it was the plan all along before deciding that he actually needed some time away from the game .

Something has clearly happened . I don't believe for one second this process has taken 5 weeks and we end up with Holden as he is the best man for the job 

Something must have happened that we are not privvy to 

If this happened the buzz around South Bristol would be palpable. Preferable to me over even Hughton.

16 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I hear that maybe Hughton didn’t want to stick to the plan and Dean probably does. 

Can someone explain to me what the plan actually is? For the past 3 years it’s been get as close to the top by Christmas then fall away, between Jan and April. 

If that’s the plan, it’s a f king stupid plan. 

Yeah but its been very succsesfull thus far

It all points to this:

We thought it would be easy to appoint a high profile replacement for LJ based on clubs own opinion of themselves

Potential high profile appointments don’t want to work with the constraints of the structure of the club

Divisions within said hierarchy around reduction/relinquishing of responsibility to high profile appointment

Dean Holden identified as the option that appeases all under a blanket of pandemic/financial concerns

Massive mis-judgment of fan base mood regarding potential appointment and the fact that this is almost impossible to spin or justify based on “on the record” interviews and transcript pointing to the exact opposite of appointing from within again

And as we speak probably some sort of fire-fight/damage limitation meeting around best way out of this entire mess after nearly 5 weeks

It smacks of mis-judgment at best or being inwardly conceited and self-indulgent at worst

If the club reaches its first, second, third or even fourth choice and it’s taken this long to thrash out then that’s barely understandable, but to blatantly dis-regard/ignore their own intentions with this appointment and therefore appoint based on a set of objectives that they stated categorically and then choose to ignore is ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

Buy players cheap who are likely to have a good sell on value. I don't think there's any plan other than this which appears to be why no proven manager wants to come here.

Ah so the plan is like strike it lucky. 
No forwards fit so move Bobby up front. 
Sign a injured plagued defender. 

No disrespect to Bobby or Webster and I’m not saying they were not worth it, but it was only by luck we done it like that. 

Just now, RedorDead BCFC said:

No disrespect to Bobby or Webster and I’m not saying they were not worth it, but it was only by luck we done it like that. 

Are you really saying that Reid and Webster were down to ‘luck’? There’s a lot of things to criticise Johnson for but if you’re being fair to him, both of those were big successes of his.

2 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

It all points to this:

We thought we It would be easy to appoint a high profile replacement for LJ based on clubs own opinion of themselves

Potential high profile appointments don’t want to work with the constraints of the structure of the club

Divisions within said hierarchy around reduction/relinquishing of responsibility to high profile appointment

Dean Holden identified as the option that appeases all under a blanket of pandemic/financial concerns

Massive mis-judgment of fan base mood regarding potential appointment and the fact that this is almost impossible to spin or justify based on “on the record” interviews and transcript pointing to the exact opposite of appointing from within again

And as we speak probably some sort of fire-fight/damage limitation meeting around best way out of this entire mess after nearly 5 weeks

It smacks of mid-judgment at best or being inwardly conceited and self-indulgent at worst

If the club reaches its first, second, third or even fourth choice and it’s taken this long to thrash out then that’s barely understandable, but to blatantly dis-regard/ignore their own intentions with this appointment and therefore appoint based on a set of objectives that they stated categorically and then choose to ignore is ridiculous 

Post of the week son, take a bow! 

1 minute ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I was saying this to a friend the other day. Webster was always rated but injury put clubs off. 

Bobby was a one season wonder in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, Yozzarian said:

If this happened the buzz around South Bristol would be palpable. Preferable to me over even Hughton.

Something has clearly happened that has completely derailed the clubs plans . I honestly believe there only choice renigged....

Be interesting to see if they only give Holden a 1 or 2 year contract if he takes over 

Howe by November ?

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

Something has clearly happened that has completely derailed the clubs plans . I honestly believe there only choice renigged....

Be interesting to see if they only give Holden a 1 or 2 year contract if he takes over 

Howe by November ?

12 month rolling contract i would expect, a bit like Tinnion had.....only problem was he lasted 9 months longer than he should of.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Are you really saying that Reid and Webster were down to ‘luck’? There’s a lot of things to criticise Johnson for but if you’re being fair to him, both of those were big successes of his.

Hang on though, LJ made noises that signings was done by Ashton. 

Can you honestly say that without an injured strike force in preseason that they would of taken a chance with Bobby up front? If they felt that way why not do it sooner when we were struggling?

How many have we actually bought that we’ve progressed on? 

Just now, Andy082005 said:

Howe by November ?

I'd be surprised to be honest to see Howe at City. I think he will be able to land bigger fish. Our geographical location might swing it he we was promised millions to spend but can we do that?

I'd be surprised to be honest to see Howe at City. I think he will be able to land bigger fish. Our geographical location might swing it he we was promised millions to spend but can we do that?

I see Howe at West Ham in the not too distant future. 

He is a home pigeon. Genuinely, what better could he get? Without relocating 

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly. If only he had found a bit more ‘luck’ like that.

3 minutes ago, Henry said:

Tim Shires said on Facebook he’s heard a rumour that’s it’s Holden as coach and Big Sam as DoF. 

I assume it’s not true and it’s just Tim trying to stay relevant, but would people accept that?

That would have more logic than it being Holden on his own. 

14 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

It all points to this:

We thought we It would be easy to appoint a high profile replacement for LJ based on clubs own opinion of themselves

It smacks of mis-judgment at best or being inwardly conceited and self-indulgent at worst

If the club reaches its first, second, third or even fourth choice and it’s taken this long to thrash out then that’s barely understandable, but to blatantly dis-regard/ignore their own intentions with this appointment and therefore appoint based on a set of objectives that they stated categorically and then choose to ignore is ridiculous.

Excellent and entirely feasible analysis

5 minutes ago, Henry said:

Tim Shires said on Facebook he’s heard a rumour that’s it’s Holden as coach and Big Sam as DoF. 

I assume it’s not true and it’s just Tim trying to stay relevant, but would people accept that?

2 minutes ago, One Team said:

That would have more logic than it being Holden on his own. 

Can you imagine someone like "Big Sam" sitting underneath Ashton? 

There's only one way we'd have a DOF, and that will only happen if/when Ashton leaves to "concentrate on his position on the EFL board".

8 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Really? Where? 

I haven't seen any. 

Exactly. Not considering him anywhere near the proven calibre of the type of managers we were led to believe we would be seeking is not remotely the same as showing him hate. I've no doubt he'd be a little downhearted reading these threads but he is a big boy.

1 hour ago, P'head Red said:

Car park down the ground very full just now on my way home, is there an event on tonight?

Possibly interviewing the next 10 candidates?

7 minutes ago, Henry said:

I don’t believe this is true but if it was a combination of Big Sam an Holden it would make more sense to have Sam as head coach and Holden as assistant. Allardyce often get some stick as his teams are often described as dull. I’d prefer to describe his approach as pragmatic, which is definitely no worse than the LJ style of football. The difference is Sam gets results and LJ doesn’t 

2 minutes ago, Yozzarian said:

Exactly. Not considering him anywhere near the proven calibre of the type of managers we were led to believe we would be seeking it not remotely the same as showing him hate. I've no doubt he'd be a little downhearted reading these threads but he is a big boy.

Don’t think there is any hate to him.

Simply a sad realization that we have been lied too.

DH has zero qualifications for the supposed task of promotion - utterly bizarre decision.

He will be under huge fan pressure from the very first game - I hope he is prepared.

It is fortunate that Ashton Gate will be empty for a while, otherwise........

15 minutes ago, Henry said:

Nah - give big sam the job and have Holden assisting him. I could probably live with that. Sam seemingly know’s the crack and has a decent record at this level. 

Just now, ScottishRed said:

Don’t think there is any hate to him.

Simply a sad realization that we have been lied too.

DH has zero qualifications for the supposed task of promotion - utterly bizarre decision.

He will be under huge fan pressure from the very first game - I hope he is prepared.

It is fortunate that Ashton Gate will be empty for a while, otherwise........

I agree, no hate shown but i have seen this accusation levelled.

Archived