IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Mozo we have no bloody choice. My cold reasoning is that whatever I think makes bugger all difference - so I support whoever emerges. I would even support you if you were the chosen one!

It's this type of mentality from fans that really does worry me. It means the board can do whatever the hell they want without fear. If they know fans will go along and be happy with whoever they appoint, we'll never progress. It always feels like 1 step forward, 2 back. 

SL's managerial appointment history is dire at best. He'll never be able to get away from the "Judge me on Tinnion" quote. And nor will we let him. Because its cheap option after cheap option. We've had a bloody good chance of progressing here, most fans know it, which is why most fans aren't blind to the obvious, that we could've have a well experienced manager to take us forward. But because of our set up, which I now firmly believe is holding us back, we appear to be going for someone who has no experience as a head coach/manager at all. 

With all due respect, I'm stunned that fans like yourself will be happy and go along with whoever they appoint. It's this kind of attitude that let's the board think they can do whatever they like. If holden gets the job, I'll be bitterly annoyed, and feel that we've just wasted the last 5 years and will go back to square one. Players certainly won't be attracted to the name of the manager, whereas with some others that are available, they would. 

I hope this is all just one giant wind up, but it's got all the hallmarks of a classic city cock-up once again, with the fans paying the price. 

2 minutes ago, Akira said:

It's this type of mentality from fans that really does worry me. It means the board can do whatever the hell they want without fear. If they know fans will go along and be happy with whoever they appoint, we'll never progress. It always feels like 1 step forward, 2 back. 

SL's managerial appointment history is dire at best. He'll never be able to get away from the "Judge me on Tinnion" quote. And nor will we let him. Because its cheap option after cheap option. We've had a bloody good chance of progressing here, most fans know it, which is why most fans aren't blind to the obvious, that we could've have a well experienced manager to take us forward. But because of our set up, which I now firmly believe is holding us back, we appear to be going for someone who has no experience as a head coach/manager at all. 

With all due respect, I'm stunned that fans like yourself will be happy and go along with whoever they appoint. It's this kind of attitude that let's the board think they can do whatever they like. If holden gets the job, I'll be bitterly annoyed, and feel that we've just wasted the last 5 years and will go back to square one. Players certainly won't be attracted to the name of the manager, whereas with some others that are available, they would. 

I hope this is all just one giant wind up, but it's got all the hallmarks of a classic city cock-up once again, with the fans paying the price. 

I have run out of reactions.

But well said.

2 minutes ago, Akira said:

I'm sorry if my mentality disappoints you, but I am being realistic.  Whatever you or I think about a favoured candidate, the cold hard fact is that we will have to live with whoever emerges as the choice of the board.  We then have to decide if we continue to support or withdraw our support.  Having supported for virtually my whole life, I cannot stop just because of what I think I know or believe about a new manager. I even thought that Pulis should be given a chance against my better judgement!  

Faith in the board is simply the pragmatic option because not to have faith leads to some silly choices - and I do not want to withdraw my support whatever the circumstances.  You only believe this is a cock up because you have decided on what you think is the right course of action and display frustration when it does not pan out as you would have wished. 

27 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

You are dismissing the fact that DH (if it is DH) was chosen on objective criteria after being compared with all other candidates.  Maybe, just maybe, he won on merit - if win he  did.

No I'm not. Like I said it is obvious that things changed and that could be for a whole number of reasons, including your suggestion. You are dismissing what our owner said at the start. There can be no arguments that DH does not meet that criteria and that is why so many people are annoyed. You don't have to be but you're arguing that people shouldn't be. Surely you can see they have good reason. Again, if not, you're being deliberately obtuse.

3 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I'm sorry if my mentality disappoints you, but I am being realistic.  Whatever you or I think about a favoured candidate, the cold hard fact is that we will have to live with whoever emerges as the choice of the board.  We then have to decide if we continue to support or withdraw our support.  Having supported for virtually my whole life, I cannot stop just because of what I think I know or believe about a new manager. I even thought that Pulis should be given a chance against my better judgement!  

Faith in the board is simply the pragmatic option because not to have faith leads to some silly choices - and I do not want to withdraw my support whatever the circumstances.  You only believe this is a cock up because you have decided on what you think is the right course of action and display frustration when it does not pan out as you would have wished. 

You really are a Lansdown dream ticket.

Have you thought of applying?

34 minutes ago, Colemanballs said:

All players whose career trajectories were on the up in any event and would have improved in any event and counter-balanced by the numerous failures. The myth of Johnson as  someone who improved players is exactly that, a myth. 

That can be said of ANY manager then. 

6 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I admire your optimism but you’re being far from realistic. 

2 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

No I'm not. Like I said it is obvious that things changed and that could be for a whole number of reasons, including your suggestion. You are dismissing what our owner said at the start. There can be no arguments that DH does not meet that criteria and that is why so many people are annoyed. You don't have to be but you're arguing that people shouldn't be. Surely you can see they have good reason. Again, if not, you're being deliberately obtuse.

I have covered this before. It is only that your views are so set that you cannot come to the possible conclusion that DH (IF it is DH) won through on merit after an exhaustive process.

2 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

If you felt DH was a star in the making you would not waste 5 weeks of essential time. With respect you are talking nonsense , Ashton style 

Steady on now.

I disagree with him and his philosophy, but he's not that ****ing bad.

2 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Just to check one more time. Is there anything more than the gregor tweet that says DH is going to be our new manager? Not saying he's not but everyone seems to be acting as though it is certain and I feel like I missed something.

Nope. Nothing else. 
I’m still certain Hughton is being finalised. 

3 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Just to check one more time. Is there anything more than the gregor tweet that says DH is going to be our new manager? Not saying he's not but everyone seems to be acting as though it is certain and I feel like I missed something.

It’s just Gregor still in terms of good sources. The holiday thing is also strange. I don’t think this is a done deal yet.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Nope. Nothing else. 
I’m still certain Hughton is being finalised. 

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s just Gregor still in terms of good sources. The holiday thing is also strange. I don’t think this is a done deal yet.

Thanks, I think Gregor generally does a decent job but his job does also necessitate an element of vagueness and framing to get clicks.

Just now, BCFC Richard said:

Thanks, I t hunk Grogor generally does a decent job but his job does also necessitate an element of vagueness and framing to get clicks.

He’s been good on this appointment but I don’t get the impression he has much inside info. 

Holden being on holiday in Kent (if true) makes the delay bizarre. I think (optimistically) Gregor might’ve been fed bad info to keep other clubs off the scent whilst we tie up Hughton. 

6 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Holden

McCalister

Williams

I’m still annoyed about Williams’ complete lack of discipline. Offering him a job on the back and example of that is as incomprehensible as saying we want to push on and then appointing someone partly responsible for the previous Head Coach’s failure.

Almost certainly in the cards!

11 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

If you felt DH was a star in the making you would not waste 5 weeks of essential time. With respect you are talking nonsense , Ashton style 

The process can take time, especially if there are lots of candidates. You seem to dismiss the possibility that someone like DH could have emerged from a long drawn out process as the best man for the job on merit. And he was right under their noses all the time.

5 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

The board decides and I support because I have no choice in the matter. That, my friend, IS being realistic.  Maybe you should examine your options?

You do have a choice though and it’s not mutually exclusive. There’s a difference between “supporting” and stating that you trust the board have made the right decision if it is Holden. 

I’ll support too, and I suppose we will never know who would’ve actually been better, but realistically Hughton is a better decision than Holden. 

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

The board decides and I support because I have no choice in the matter. That, my friend, IS being realistic.  Maybe you should examine your options?

I’ve still not worked out if you’re incredibly trusting, or just on a massive wind up Bat, but can I ask you one straight question?

Do you support Bristol City Football Club, or  do you support the Board?  

You can do the former without necessarily doing the latter as well, but some of your conversations here give the impression that you’ll agree with anything the board want, even when it appears to be having a negative effect on the Club. 

Have I got that one right, or have I misunderstood?

Archived