IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, Meh said:

God bless you - I thought nobody else had realised that the likes of Pato and Wiemann will be well up for this; they have found somebody else naive enough to think players of their abilities can bring success.

More chance of me successful sustaining an erection watching a Susan Boyle concert !!

I've had her.

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I suppose it depends how you define “well”, although I couldn’t be any more against him being appointed, I genuinely don’t think that we will struggle to stay up next season.

For a start Sheffield Wednesday have to get 13 points more than we do to finish above us & is anyone seriously suggesting Wycombe or Rotherham will finish above us?

However we are told our aim is to get into The Premiership & I cannot see any logic that would make anyone think this appointment will do that.

I expect a finish somewhere between 12th & 14th, which if you think we will struggle is doing “well” but in the context of our stated ambitions is obviously not.

Wow. We are setting the bar high aren't we.

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I suppose it depends how you define “well”, although I couldn’t be any more against him being appointed, I genuinely don’t think that we will struggle to stay up next season.

For a start Sheffield Wednesday have to get 13 points more than we do to finish above us & is anyone seriously suggesting Wycombe or Rotherham will finish above us?

However we are told our aim is to get into The Premiership & I cannot see any logic that would make anyone think this appointment will do that.

I expect a finish somewhere between 12th & 14th, which if you think we will struggle is doing “well” but in the context of our stated ambitions is obviously not.

Maybe they’ll come out and say that, in effect, we’re putting next season on hold, expecting to stay in the division before we “go again” in 21/22..... and as that’s the case and the ground is likely to be closed.... have your season ticket money back.... 

or 

they might feed us some classic BS bs about promotion and stand out candidate for the job......

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

I think the consistent  LJ outers are going to look pretty stupid soon. As they say be careful what you wish for.

I am against the appointment of Holden but I believe  the team had lost the faith in Johnson and I wouldn't have him back. He did well to get us where he did but the time was right; just a shame that we have made an apparent mess of all that followed.

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I think the consistent  LJ outers are going to look pretty stupid soon. As they say be careful what you wish for.

The whole club are going to look pretty stupid soon. Including all fans for believing that the club was ready to go to the next level. No need to single out people who could see that LJ had come to the end of his time here.

6 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Johnson deserved to be sacked

If lansdown and ashton had kept their ******* mouths shut and not gone on about the caliber of managers applying and needing a fresh start to take us to the next level, then the anger wouldn't even be half of what it is now,

The resentment and anger is of the clubs own making and they deserve everything they get 

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Why would they look stupid? 99% of fans at other clubs would react the same surely? Or were we just expected to accept the stagnant dross on show? We were going nowhere fast under LJ. His time was up.

Its not the fans fault, or Holdens for that we have ended up with him. I don’t want Holden. Incredibly disappointing but nothing to suggest he won’t play better football than LJ?

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Not really. He was floundering and regressing with the strongest, most expensive side we’ve ever assembled. Despite asking for 3 windows he had 8, and still no clear ‘identity’.

Your application of hindsight from where we currently find ourselves does nothing to strengthen LJ’s case. He had more than enough chances. 

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

If lansdown and ashton had kept their ******* mouths shut and not gone on about the caliber of managers applying and needing a fresh start to take us to the next level, then the anger wouldn't even be half of what it is now,

The resentment and anger is of the clubs own making and they deserve everything they get 

Agree with this. That was the key error.

I think I'd have been OK with waiting 5 weeks and even with appointing Holden if I genuinely believed that they thought he was the best man for the job but by stating their desires at the outset has just proved that the process didn't go the way they wanted or, I suspect, they weren't prepared to budge on the constraints placed on the new manager.

Just now, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Isn’t it better to vent feelings about an actual appointment rather than a speculative one?

Even then, isn’t it better to vent feelings about actual performances rather than speculative ones?

Of course, but fans aren't just going to say nothing as rumours swirl. The uncertainty won't stop people talking.

The fact that after 5 weeks searching, and having Chris Hughton linked consistently throughout, we have ended up waitng for our old assistant to come back from his holidays is ******* hilarious.

Surely the list can't have been

1) Gerrard

2) Hughton

3) Holden

What the hell is going on between number 2 and 3? Even if you add Paul Cook, Adkins, Lowe, McCarthy, in there between Hughton and Holden, how messed up is our club to get rejected or pass up all of them?!

My only hope is that when we've just won the Europa League in 2027 with Dean Holden this thread will be absolute gold and it'll all be worth it.

11 minutes ago, Yozzarian said:

I am against the appointment of Holden but I believe  the team had lost the faith in Johnson and I wouldn't have him back. He did well to get us where he did but the time was right; just a shame that we have made an apparent mess of all that followed.

10 minutes ago, collier said:

The whole club are going to look pretty stupid soon. Including all fans for believing that the club was ready to go to the next level. No need to single out people who could see that LJ had come to the end of his time here.

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

4 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

Why would they look stupid? 99% of fans at other clubs would react the same surely? Or were we just expected to accept the stagnant dross on show? We were going nowhere fast under LJ. His time was up.

Its not the fans fault, or Holdens for that we have ended up with him. I don’t want Holden. Incredibly disappointing but nothing to suggest he won’t play better football than LJ?

3 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Not really. He was floundering and regressing with the strongest, most expensive side we’ve ever assembled. Despite asking for 3 windows he had 8, and still no clear ‘identity’.

Your application of hindsight from where we currently find ourselves does nothing to strengthen LJ’s case. He had more than enough chances. 

Oh his time was up yes, I think so. I'm more referring to the minority that were against him at the beginning and at all points during his reign.

But perhaps as we always suspect there are deeper reasons why this club underachieves. 

12 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

As a consistent Johnson outer I'd say that the problem was that we left him in post too long. It was clear by the autumn of 2018 that he wasn't going to repeat his success of the previous year. That he wasn't shown the door - and had his contract extended - is down to poor decision making at the top. The same poor decision making that seems to be on display at the moment.

I'm still waiting for the LJ glee club to admit that they were left looking stupid...but I think that will be a long wait!

13 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Maybe they’ll come out and say that, in effect, we’re putting next season on hold, expecting to stay in the division before we “go again” in 21/22..... and as that’s the case and the ground is likely to be closed.... have your season ticket money back.... 

or 

they might feed us some classic BS bs about promotion and stand out candidate for the job......

They can never say they will put a season on hold because a club is either pushing on or falling back.  The impact and uncertainty of the Covid19 pandemic will hit football finances in so many ways, it will pay to be cautious. Most clubs will be in for a torrid time and the upcoming season may be a trifle "odd" compared with previous years.  If we have given Ashley Williams a player/coach role then it underlines the fact that money is tight and employees who can cover more than one role and save a wage are valuable. We have loads of young players who will benefit and I am looking forward to watching their development. The future is bright..... the future is red and white!

4 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

i cant get my head round it taking this long to give Dean the job if thats who they want.  it tells me they are un sure. 

If he came back from his hols yesterday, he is probably walking into the training ground or AG about now.

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

They can never say they will put a season on hold because a club is either pushing on or falling back.  The impact and uncertainty of the Covid19 pandemic will hit football finances in so many ways, it will pay to be cautious. Most clubs will be in for a torrid time and the upcoming season may be a trifle "odd" compared with previous years.  If we have given Ashley Williams a player/coach role then it underlines the fact that money is tight and employees who can cover more than one role and save a wage are valuable. We have loads of young players who will benefit and I am looking forward to watching their development. The future is bright..... the future is red and white!

Here we go again. The plant is back to paint a rosy picture and teach us the error of our ways!

9 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

Still nothing imminent yet.. here’s hoping 

How much longer can this go on for??!!!!

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

If he came back from his hols yesterday, he is probably walking into the training ground or AG about now.

He's probably on OTIB 'liking' all of your posts!

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Oh his time was up yes, I think so. I'm more referring to the minority that were against him at the beginning and at all points during his reign.

But perhaps as we always suspect there are deeper reasons why this club underachieves. 

I think we all feel stupid now given then circumstances around all this. But I don’t think anyone could have foreseen this when LJ was removed.

Regardless of what happens, if it’s DH or not we couldn’t have continued that way under LJ.

Archived