IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, SX227 said:

Oh, you little tinker Harry.

A true friend indeed. Very few of those around. 

Moving along:

You must admit though, LJ does seem to have got the rough end of the Pineapple.

It's hard to justify the Pilot being ejected, only to give the controls to the Navigator.

They were both responsible for flying the plane.

You must agree on that Harry?

Actually, I wouldn’t mind expanding on your analogy. 

LJ may have been the Pilot and Holden the Navigator. 
However, let’s not forget that planes tend to fly themselves these days through intelligent programming, so the Pilot doesn’t really have to take the controls all the time. That’s Mr Ashton. ?

1 minute ago, BrizzleRed said:

The only other thing I’ve wondered is,with the recent upturn in the virus infections worldwide, we could now be looking at the new year before we can start getting fans back in the grounds. Maybe that’s put the frighteners on the club and they’ve panicked.

Then they should say so. 

“Due to the changing social and economic climate, we are postponing (for the time being) our search for a new Head Coach. We have asked DH and JMc to continue the super job they have been doing in the meantime”. Say that (and mean it), but also say to DH “this is your interview, seize it and we won’t need to resume the search”. 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Actually, I wouldn’t mind expanding on your analogy. 

LJ may have been the Pilot and Holden the Navigator. 
However, let’s not forget that planes tend to fly themselves these days through intelligent programming, so the Pilot doesn’t really have to take the controls all the time. That’s Mr Ashton. ?

So who's who?

image.jpeg.9a5d6dbe331410d3a4c5419326ee057a.jpeg

10 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Lummydaze. We don’t want ruthless ‘winners’ at Ashton Gate.

We much prefer nice, polite, ‘you first’  people. You can see it in our team. Really nice people, many of whom I’d be happy for my daughter to go out with. 

I do do want that in my football club but it’s our DNA. I want fighters, leaders, people who break down all before them to achieve their goals. 

Lummydaze ? Brought back loads of great memories! My late Granfer used to say that!! Not heard it for years.

2 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Trouble is with this is the waters have been muddied by the club’s denial of interest in Gerrard.

I don’t think many of us believe that, so if we could afford to go for him, any other candidates would likely have been within that price range.

The only other thing I’ve wondered is,with the recent upturn in the virus infections worldwide, we could now be looking at the new year before we can start getting fans back in the grounds. Maybe that’s put the frighteners on the club and they’ve panicked.

I'm not a medic but it seems to me optimistic that a reliable vaccine will be found, tested and widely distributed any time this side of next summer. The club would have been optimistic in their assumptions if they expected people back by Christmas. I'd have expected more caution.

3 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Then they should say so. 

“Due to the changing social and economic climate, we are postponing (for the time being) our search for a new Head Coach. We have asked DH and JMc to continue the super job they have been doing in the meantime”. Say that (and mean it), but also say to DH “this is your interview, seize it and we won’t need to resume the search”. 

Hang on a minute pal.

That actually makes sense. Stop it right now or you will be barred !!

Just now, Southport Red said:

Then they should say so. 

With you totally there and how long does it take to just appoint the bloke who is already in post?!!!

Clearly he couldn’t have been their first choice, so they now need to to address what’s been making it so difficult to appoint a properly qualified person to the post.

18 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Well I for one don't.  I would rather have us playing entertaining football, bringing youngsters through, than have success at any cost.  The thought of a manager who would 'break down all before them' makes me feel that I'd rather be watching non-league football. 

But we’ve tried that for decades and, at best, we’re stuck in the Doldrums. I’ll grant you that under LJ for the last 2 years we’ve played some of the worst, least entertaining football I’ve experienced in 50 plus years but that’s by the by. 

The reason I’m more than alarmed with what’s going on is that you can’t stand still in this world. If you do, you get overtaken. Without some sound, strong management and some decent players (our ‘midfield’ FFS) we are going one-way and that is down...and rapidly. More of the same isn’t the answer.

Arguably, the division this coming season is the most even ever. We have a chance to move forward with some good decision-making. We really do seem that we’re going to balls it up yet again though. Reminds me of the opportunities when we had a chance to push on to the autos in January with some wise player investments and we dither, dither and then do something daft. 

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'm not a medic but it seems to me optimistic that a reliable vaccine will be found, tested and widely distributed any time this side of next summer. The club would have been optimistic in their assumptions if they expected people back by Christmas. I'd have expected more caution.

It does seem rash to pin your hopes on getting stadiums open quickly, but maybe they’d been hanging onto the hope that the trial events in the autumn would have been successful.  Apparently these have now been scrapped, so that’ll push things back a few months.

Problem we’ve got is everything is total speculation and I think we’re more likely to hear the real reasons from an ITK’er on here, than from the club.

10 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

It does seem rash to pin your hopes on getting stadiums open quickly, but maybe they’d been hanging onto the hope that the trial events in the autumn would have been successful.  Apparently these have now been scrapped, so that’ll push things back a few months.

Problem we’ve got is everything is total speculation and I think we’re more likely to hear the real reasons from an ITK’er on here, than from the club.

I gather that it is unlikely that any vaccine will be authorised without a full stage 3 trial. The Oxford vaccine- which everyone seems to think is the best chance- is in stage 3, but this is not due to complete until next Spring at the earliest. On the plus side, the government is financing production now, before authorisation, which means that it should be immediately available when it is authorised.

And I’m over 50, which means that most of you can form a queue!

EMOTIONS ARE CURRENTLY RUNNING HIGH AND THERE ARE VARIOUS OPINIONS ON WHO SHOULD AND SHOULDN'T BE APPOINTED

BUT WE ARE RECEIVING MORE AND MORE REPORTS ON HERE IN RELATION TO REPLIES BECOMING MORE AND MORE PERSONAL TOWARDS THE POSTER

PLEASE CAN EVERYONE REMEMBER THAT WE ARE ALL BRISTOL CITY FANS AND TO NOT GET PERSONAL IN REPLIES

16 minutes ago, RedRock said:

But we’ve tried that for decades and, at best, we’re stuck in the Doldrums. I’ll grant you that under LJ for the last 2 years we’ve played some of the worst, least entertaining football I’ve experienced in 50 plus years but that’s by the by. 

The reason I’m more than alarmed with what’s going on is that you can’t stand still in this world. If you do, you get overtaken. Without some sound, strong management and some decent players (our ‘midfield’ FFS) we are going one-way and that is down...and rapidly. More of the same isn’t the answer.

Arguably, the division this coming season is the most even ever. We have a chance to move forward with some good decision-making. We really do seem that we’re going to balls it up yet again though. Reminds me of the opportunities when we had a chance to push on to the autos in January with some wise player investments and we dither, dither and then do something daft. 

I believe that next season will be very difficult for City and many other clubs.  There is a risk that overspending when income forecasts are so dangerous could lead to FFP breaches, fines and points deductions.  We have the basis of a good squad and some talented youngsters, it may well be useful that (if selected) DH knows the players so well.  Any cash raised from sales of Eliason and Famara may well not be spent - or used to fund the costs of "free transfers".  Interesting and troubling times - but we will get through, thrive and prosper!!

8 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Can we swap SL for Hargreaves? It’s becoming obvious who the brains was 

And you couldn’t get two different characters. 
My wife used to work there. 
Her desk was not too far away from Peter Hargreaves’ office. Trust me - he was a straight talking, no BS manager, and if he had something to say he’d damn well say it, and he wouldn’t care how loud he was saying it (or shouting it), nor how it would make the recipient of a dressing-down feel. 
Cut throat businessman too. My wife said it wasn’t unusual to be dealing with one financial advisor on a case on one day, then the next day she’d go to speak to them again and their desk had been cleared and they were no longer employed!!  
Basically if you didn’t cut the mustard or if you made a dealing error, you were gone - with immediate effect! 

She worked quite closely to Jon when he was briefly there too. She had no idea he was the boss’s son, just thought he was some lame uni graduate fumbling through his first job. 

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

And you couldn’t get two different characters. 
My wife used to work there. 
Her desk was not too far away from Peter Hargreaves’ office. Trust me - he was a straight talking, no BS manager, and if he had something to say he’d damn well say it, and he wouldn’t care how loud he was saying it (or shouting it), nor how it would make the recipient of a dressing-down feel. 
Cut throat businessman too. My wife said it wasn’t unusual to be dealing with one financial advisor on a case on one day, then the next day she’d go to speak to them again and their desk had been cleared and they were no longer employed!!  
Basically if you didn’t cut the mustard or if you made a dealing error, you were gone - with immediate effect! 

She worked quite closely to Jon when he was briefly there too. She had no idea he was the boss’s son, just thought he was some lame uni graduate fumbling through his first job. 

Nothing much has changed there then 

10 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Can we swap SL for Hargreaves? It’s becoming obvious who the brains was 

... and who does Hargreaves resemble in the football world? Yes, Warnock.

SL and JL are some the nicest, most generous, kindest people around, however, it’s chemistry (that is totally lacking in our players) that’s important in creating successful teams.

The Lansdown/Hargreaves combination worked and drove a back-street business to one of the most successful financial institutions in the World. It worked because two totally different characters, each with their own strengths that complemented each other. Dare say there was friction, conflicts and many fall outs along the way.

Maybe SL, in his retirement years, doesn’t want to appoint Warnock or that type because he’s exhausted of having to deal with those type of people. Having been there, I totally understand that, I really do. 

Not sure though whether having loads of ‘yes men’ beneath him though is best for our Club even if it’s the most comfortable relationships for him.

2 minutes ago, RedRock said:

SL and JL are some the nicest, most generous, kindest people around, however, it’s chemistry (that is totally lacking in our players) that’s important in creating successful teams.

Bit of a myth that, if people I know who have worked with him are anything to go by.  Just as ruthless as Hargreaves. You don't become a billionaire through generosity.  

Hargreaves was an accountant, Lansdown a stockbroker. Hargreaves spoke to most of the early clients, Lansdown handled the investments.

HOWEVER the lessons of investing wisely to accumulate seem to be lost on Stephen as he ages, if this sorry tale is anything to go by. I can only think he is taking undue counsel from someone he trusts knows football better than him - and that person is an utter bullshitter. 

Archived