IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

What an arrogant post.  What entitles you to speak on behalf of the majority of fans’?  

I think the fact that 95% of the thousand odd people who voted here would either be disappointed, furious or incandescent gives him the right.

And that has been reflected in other social media - and in fans I've spoken to down the pub.

I hope he doesn't take the job. The fact that he is having to reflect on it for two days should be a warning bell to him. And us.

23 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Dean, 

You are clearly a top bloke and care about Bristol City but we would politely request that you do not accept the offer of Head Coach.

Many of us feel that you are really developing as a coach and will eventually be very successful.

However, the majority of fans feel you are not quite ready to push us in further in the Championship and we really need a more experienced head coach who has experience of promoting teams at all levels.  

You may have seen the reaction of many fans which shouldn't be taken personally but just show the love they have for the club and the desire for City to be successful.

Please take this in the spirit it is intended and we hope you make the right decision for the club and yourself.

You don’t speak for me 

9 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

Bristol City FC
A complete small minded tinpot club going nowhere fast.
Premiership football, you’re having a laugh.
I was gutted with the appointment of Johnson, that disappointment has now been magnified ten times.
I’ve supported my local club for 46 years now, watched away games at Maine Rd Manchester City to Somerton Park Newport County.
Watched City mid table of the First Div or premiership as its now known to bottom of Div 4.
In all that time I’ve never been so gutted at a managerial appointment as i have of todays.
First time in 46 years i have to say I’ve finally lost interest.

I'm with you

Been going since 1985, up and down the UK

Totally and utterly shocked at the pathetic attempt to secure a manager 

So many managers out of work or we could target and we end up with a bloke that was judged as not good enough to manage Oldham and only a number two for LJ

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Tough call but even though we were in the division below, Fawthrop was marginally worse.

Never played professionally, never been a coach anywhere, he was a chief scout (& as Scott Davidson memorably said, a former chip shop owner).

Holden has played the game & some coaching experience but is a million years away from what SL said he was after when LJ was sacked.

If I remember rightly @GrahamC after that SL interview you made reference to the fact we wouldn’t go proven!?

Let's cut to the chase then, as they say!

Clubs all over feel the pain and are scaling back on spending & staff ... and if financial fair play rules are suspended ... would Lansdown, with his wealth, take this opportunity to spend big and attempt to recruit to ensure a promotion push, by purchasing the best available players in the Championship today, at presumably, reduced values and reduced salaries?

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Tough call but even though we were in the division below, Fawthrop was marginally worse.

Never played professionally, never been a coach anywhere, he was a chief scout (& as Scott Davidson memorably said, a former chip shop owner).

Holden has played the game & some coaching experience but is a million years away from what SL said he was after when LJ was sacked.

I can asure you Fawthrop was a chancer, good talker, ran  a succesful boys club near Leeds and got a scouts job off the back of it

Whilst in his Chief Scout post here spent more time operating side interests 

No coaching qualifications, had never managed an adult football side .....

Fawthrop was worse but all things considered Holdens rumoured appointment gives it a good run 

35 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Show some backbone & walk..

Don't spend another cent at the club & they'd soon take note....

Sadly too many invertebrates without the self respect to care about being used.

Go ahead, amazed you’re walking now having presumably stuck by the club when we were bottom of league one losing at home to the likes of Colchester....

Clearly Lansdown has decided with Covid now is not the time to go all in and splash the cash. Could seriously backfire. Im glad we have someone with business sense safeguarding the clubs future instead of the hotheads on here. Good luck Holden. I will be right behind you. P.S. Play Morrell please

39 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

When you've been supporting City as long as we have we have a right to see it as our club. But the bald truth is that it's SLs club as he owns it lock, stock and two smoking barrels. Accordingly he will sanction any appointment he sees fit. Our only redress is to walk away but after supporting for nearly 59 years I can't do that. 

Of course we can't know what was said in the interviews that were conducted or what Chris Hughton's demands were. But whatever statement City put out I doubt it'll shed any light on that. 

I can and I'm walking. Should've kept his money in his pocket and left us alone. False hope is worse than no hope

It's all about the rugby now. 

1 minute ago, Top Robin said:

Come on, you can see from the reaction on here that the majority would rather someone else. 

absolutely, i cant believe we would offer a bloke with hardly any actual managerial experience the job of year on progression to the promised land,mind you,from 12th to the play offs could get him 5 years

9 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Wow, must be great to be ITK about what goes on behind the scenes at both City AND Bolton.

I seem to recall dome fella called Zidane had zero managerial experience. He did ok.

Can't really compare Zinedine Zidane to a bloke who played right-back for Oldham, Falkirk and Shrewsbury, Sam.  ;)

8 minutes ago, LocoPal said:

Let's cut to the chase then, as they say!

Clubs all over feel the pain and are scaling back on spending & staff ... and if financial fair play rules are suspended ... would Lansdown, with his wealth, take this opportunity to spend big and attempt to recruit to ensure a promotion push, by purchasing the best available players in the Championship today, at presumably, reduced values and reduced salaries?

We'll have to see. Clubs need to vote on it- could go the other way with a squad salary cap coming in, or it could stay the same which would make it difficult for the bulk of the League this coming season- though we would be better placed than many, ironically!

It maybe that it stays as it is by default as an insufficient number of clubs can agree on the steps for this coming season! Needs 16/24 to agree.

However if they are suspended or rolled with this and next year averaged as one, that kinda thing it would represent an opportunity!

6 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Come on, you can see from the reaction on here that the majority would rather someone else. 

It's a cringeworthy, arrogant, patronising post. 

One I hope he shoves down your throat, literally, if he has any success here. 

If he doesn't have any success here, I can tell you now, with certainty, that he won't look back and think "damn, I should have taken heed of Top Robins' post on the forum back in Aug 2020. HE TRIED TO TELL ME AND I JUST DIDN'T LISTEN...!" 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

The majority of City fans don't go on this forum.

Why would you think the people who go on this forum have overwhelmingly one opinion, but that those who don't wouldn't?

People I've spoken to away from the internet also think this is a pathetic appointment. 

The strength of feeling is so overwhelming that it's daft to think that in the offline world there is somehow a majority who think this is a good idea. 

I can't say I know Dean but I was at a senior reds lunch where he did a quick chat and a q and a.

He came across as honest and the sort of person who calls a spade a spade.

He was asked who was the best manager he has worked under?

"Dean Smith".

He was asked some difficult questions as some present tried to make things difficult.

It didn't work as each reply was thought through with honesty and humour.

Just saying....

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Can't really compare Zinedine Zidane to a bloke who played right-back for Oldham, Falkirk and Shrewsbury, Sam.  ;)

You can't really compare one of the greatest players of all time, as a player. No. 

It's fairly irrelivent when it comes to managing, as to how good a player you were. 

Ask Shearer, Sol Campbell, Paul Ince amongst many many more. 

Or Jose or Wenger, for that matter. 

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Why would you think the people who go on this forum have overwhelmingly one opinion, but that those who don't wouldn't?

People I've spoken to away from the internet also think this is a pathetic appointment. 

The strength of feeling is so overwhelming that it's daft to think that in the offline world there is somehow a majority who think this is a good idea. 

How many have you managed to speak too, in the past hour or so..? 

What I find strange is do you think Lansdown would have offered a job at H & L to a total novice with hardly and experience and qualification, I very much doubt it so shows the utter contempt he now has for Bristol city...  hes got what he wanted out of us the ground and the brand for the Rugby, the football club is now an inconvenience he just has to put up with..

10 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I would say it’s about investing hard earned money into the club only to see little in return for it

And its your prerogative to not invest any more. What I don't get is people saying they won't support City until Ashton has gone, or Holden. 

Holden applied, he got the job. 

There's a ***** who is a manager at my local supermarket. I really, really hate him. Doesn't stop me shopping there though 

Archived