IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

I know emotions are running high and temper's at boiling point. 

But is this a decision based on the current covid climate we are in.

Holden takes job on less money than LJ, We go down to one assistant coach and save on wages.

Holden told signings and trades will be at a minimum and you have to work with the squad you have which he knows.

The main problem with all this no one wants Holden to fail or the club but it is going to be a test of all at the top if things do go bad.

You don't cut the budget of the most important role in the club. Off load a goalkeeper or two, do we need three attacking midfielders Paterson, Palmer, Szmodics. You cut your cloth but not by appointing a man with zero credibility. Mates around me are cancelling there SC, the club will lose out.

These are unprecedented times. It seems like every week we are learning new things about coronavirus. This week I have learned that if a football club owner catches it he can actually display few if any of the symptoms, except for the fact it turns him into a complete and utter nincompoop

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

That has to be one of the most obscure analogies I've ever read..! 

DH strikes me as being very much (potentially) like the appointment of Eddie Howe at Bournemouth, Sean Dyche at Burnley or Martinez at Swansea..? 

Really? He strikes me as very much (potentially) like the appointment of  Brian Tininon, Keith Millen and Tony Fawthrop.

I think Lee left us in a good place where not that much tinkering could see us pushing on and getting into the Top 6 next season. But if that's what you want, you take advantage of your position of strength: you pick someone whose managerial ability has been proven and give him the tools to replicate his previous successes. You don't take a punt on a novice.

Mediocre mediocre mediocre.

These opportunities do not come around often.  Once every 2 or 3 years, you get to make a statement to the rest of the footballing world.  A statement of intent.  A statement that says, look at what Bristol City are doing.  They are building a Premier League the footballing backwater of the west country.  A statement that could have said, we have arrived.  We have everything firmly in place to press on to the next level.  It sends a message to the other teams in our division, that we are a very real proposition and you need to take us seriously.   It sends that same message to every other player in this division or any other player considering a move here, or a player on our books considering moving on. Beware.

After 5/6 weeks this process has resulted in a, luke warm, mediocre at best, wet weekend in Cromer type of appointment.  It might work out.  It probably wont.  For the record I like DH, and wish him nothing but the best.  But you had better get a thick skin and selective hearing.

This type of appointment, signals that we enable mediocrity.  It sends a message to every other team in this league that we are not serious at all.  There is not one other team in the bottom 3 divisions that would have employed the services of DH....NOT ONE!

We are Bristol City and we have managed to "out Bristol City" ourselves. 

Its the missed opportunity that will probably haunt us for the next 2 or 3 years.

12 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I suggest you stop confusing social media with the real world.

It doesn’t take an expert to tell you that the majority are bitterly disappointed with this appointment. I suggest this and social media gives you a good indication.

4 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

You don't cut the budget of the most important role in the club. Off load a goalkeeper or two, do we need three attacking midfielders Paterson, Palmer, Szmodics. You cut your cloth but not by appointing a man with zero credibility. Mates around me are cancelling there SC, the club will lose out.

Exactly. Much rather they sold Palmer. He's pony

6 minutes ago, Colombo Robin said:

You think Hughton would agree to come here without funds to splash? Holden is much better placed to work with what we have. Purse strings are being tightened everywhere, not just at BCFC. Its just extremely frustrating/unfortunate for us fans that this has all happened when i think Lansdown was actually preparing for one big gamble/push for the prem

Thanks for avoiding answering any of my questions. SL is a liar and I don’t trust a word that comes out of his, his boy or Ashton’s mouth. They’re a joke. 

A decision that would not be made in normal circumstances, but these are not normal circumstances, and there is a certain logic to it. I’ll let you know what I think of his managerial talents at the end of December. I’ll worry about important things, like when fans can return, how many games I will be allowed to watch, and hopefully see some Bath City games on free weekends.

3 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

Mediocre mediocre mediocre.

These opportunities do not come around often.  Once every 2 or 3 years, you get to make a statement to the rest of the footballing world.  A statement of intent.  A statement that says, look at what Bristol City are doing.  They are building a Premier League the footballing backwater of the west country.  A statement that could have said, we have arrived.  We have everything firmly in place to press on to the next level.  It sends a message to the other teams in our division, that we are a very real proposition and you need to take us seriously.   It sends that same message to every other player in this division or any other player considering a move here, or a player on our books considering moving on. Beware.

After 5/6 weeks this process has resulted in a, luke warm, mediocre at best, wet weekend in Cromer type of appointment.  It might work out.  It probably wont.  For the record I like DH, and wish him nothing but the best.  But you had better get a thick skin and selective hearing.

This type of appointment, signals that we enable mediocrity.  It sends a message to every other team in this league that we are not serious at all.  There is not one other team in the bottom 3 divisions that would have employed the services of DH....NOT ONE!

We are Bristol City and we have managed to "out Bristol City" ourselves. 

Its the missed opportunity that will probably haunt us for the next 2 or 3 years.

Well said. I said on a thread yesterday that in these 5 weeks we’ve regressed 5 seasons. So much effort to build the club up, both on and off the pitch to become serious contenders, and it’s all gone to pot. 

If confirmed, this could be incredibly damaging to the club in the short and longer term. 

14 minutes ago, Colombo Robin said:

You think Hughton would agree to come here without funds to splash? Holden is much better placed to work with what we have. Purse strings are being tightened everywhere, not just at BCFC. Its just extremely frustrating/unfortunate for us fans that this has all happened when i think Lansdown was actually preparing for one big gamble/push for the prem

Too much sense, that will never do. I thought it would be an outside appointment until last week, when the useless Culture pipsqueak suggested fans would not be allowed to attend this year. Massive change, and made an internal appointment, using existing squad, the likely option. 

I hope Dean you  have a thick skin, because if we don't hit the ground running there will be zero tolerance.

Personally though you are  not my choice and that I believe this to be the wrong decision,  like all fledgling City managers  you must be given a chance and our support until if and when it proves to be the poor decision we all fear

Dean, we know it's not your fault, you have and will try your best and deserve some time to prove the vast majority of us wrong.

As for The Lansdown family, we will be forever grateful for bringing the club infrastructure into the 21st century  but this was a landmark appointment and you and Mark Ashton have failed to communicate effectively or accurately with your fan base. You have alienated many and our trust has been compromised by the last couple of weeks.

I sincerely hope you have unearthed a gem  but it's a terrible risk and how Dean was a better candidate than Chis Hughton is beyond me and 95% of your fan base. 

It feels very much that our opinion counts for nothing as you plough on regardless. 

The history of Bristol City demonstrates such internal appointments rarely work, so we are hoping for a miracle.

The margins in The Championship are very fine and if we continue the form of 2020 we could soon find ourselves embroiled in a relegation fight. What a disaster if that happens just because you want a manager you can control.

Bitterly Dissapointed 

4 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Well said. I said on a thread yesterday that in these 5 weeks we’ve regressed 5 seasons. So much effort to build the club up, both on and off the pitch to become serious contenders, and it’s all gone to pot. 

If confirmed, this could be incredibly damaging to the club in the short and longer term. 

Totally.  Last seasons expectation set by the man himself was play offs.  It was an expectation laid out for all to hear.  It was an expectation of a coach on his 4th year of managing City FFS.  Play offs or you are sacked.  It was a fair and just expectation based on the 3 previous seasons and the investment made.

What expectations will SL set for DH this season??  Automatic promotion, is a totally unrealistic expectation to be set for any manager.  However, the play offs was a minimum for LJ.  It should be the minimum requirement for DH.  Personally I don't think that's fair on DH.  This is the reason why he should not have been appointed.

We as a club have regressed.

It’s like nobody has noticed a global pandemic, severe economic recession, full attendances unlikely any time soon, and there will soon be Brexit to add an extra layer of mess.
Abusing the guy whose continued support means that we will still have a club to support in 2/3 years doesn’t seem an obvious thing to do

Tbh, I'm not even angry or upset as this is the exact same thing this club has done throughout my 35 years of supporting and ive come to expect this type of decision by the club. 

Let's face it, we are renowned as a club that can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory time and time again.

I am looking forward to some funny comments from our more emotional fans though. There's bound to be some absolute gems. Every cloud and all that....

30 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

But why would MA leak info to GMG? What is there to gain? 

To manage fan expectations. To engineer coverage you can attempt to control from a relatively friendly journalist rather than risk it getting out to journos you have no relationship with. It's pretty basic PR strategy.

7 minutes ago, Suffolk Red said:

I hope Dean you  have a thick skin, because if we don't hit the ground running there will be zero tolerance.

TBH from my point of view, I have absolutely no problem with Dean Holden personally and certainly don't want to knock him as a person or a professional. No one I know has a bad word to say about him.

I just don't think he's the right man to be appointing at this time. Better alternatives were out there and were interested, but were rejected.

If he fails, it will be the owner, the board and the CEO I'll be angry with, not him. In fact angry is a bit too mild. F-king furious is nearer.

I hope against hope that Holden can succeed. But I'm certainly not optimistic about that. 

2 minutes ago, Harry R said:

To manage fan expectations. To engineer coverage you can attempt to control from a relatively friendly journalist rather than risk it getting out to journos you have no relationship with. It's pretty basic PR strategy.

Correct. In the same way as leaks of government policy usually emanate from the government itself and are quite deliberate.

18 minutes ago, Kibs said:

It’s a shame Holden couldn’t “think it over” whilst he was away on holiday rather than it being dragged out even longer.

In reality he's probably already accepted but they're using the weekend to work out how on earth they explain how it's come to this.

Archived