IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, after what’s happened these last 5 weeks can we really take anything from the board seriously? But in this instance let’s just say the boards aim is still the same whilst Lee was here. 

What would be deemed as a successful season for DH? Would his role be under threat if we finish around mid table? It’s interesting because this looks to be a backward step in terms of appointment but I wonder if the board have altered their expectations.

Once you come out and say promotion is the aim and you sack a guy who failed to deliver play offs, you’re asking to be grilled.

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

In reality he's probably already accepted but they're using the weekend to work out how on earth they explain how it's come to this.

I would rather be surprised if he was really "thinking it over" and not at all surprised if your explanation is correct.

But not even the most expert spin doctor could give this a positive spin on Monday. "No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still baloney" as the Americans say.

IF Dean really isn't sure he wants the pressure that the step up to head coach entails then he surely should reject it. You should go into a new job feeling excited, not terrified.

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Go ahead, amazed you’re walking now having presumably stuck by the club when we were bottom of league one losing at home to the likes of Colchester....

This is worse...and I was there in the darkest 4th Division days....absolutely no excuse when we are in such a good position to make such a perverse decision.

52 minutes ago, Paulton Red said:

Take the ******* job Dean, prove the doubters wrong and show us that you are worthy of the position. I will support your teams , hope for victory and sing your name when you get it right. It’s a ******* tough job, it rarely ends well but make it your own, do your best and get us up...this is your chance to write your own history...and ours. Good luck sir

Sheep

I would very happily take in or around the play offs, IF the style of football is much more entertaining. With parachute payments the stars always need to align for us to actually go up as it’s a very uneven playing field. Playing rope a dope football in the hope we can sneak one and keep a clean sheet is just...dull as ditchwater.

The margins are so thin in this league, and I can really however see us struggling next year..

I think this has been leaked to GMG with the comment about the weekend to decide intentionally included.  The club know that the reaction will be negative, in some cases in the extreme.  They also know that DH isn't actually the target of the fury and vitriol.  48hrs allows general acceptance and apathy to set in or it gives all parties a get out clause if things turn really ugly and DH doesn't feel comfortable walking into what could potentially be a very toxic "opportunity" for him. 

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

Well, after what’s happened these last 5 weeks can we really take anything from the board seriously? But in this instance let’s just say the boards aim is still the same whilst Lee was here. 

What would be deemed as a successful season for DH? Would his role be under threat if we finish around mid table? It’s interesting because this looks to be a backward step in terms of appointment but I wonder if the board have altered their expectations.

Once you come out and say promotion is the aim and you sack a guy who failed to deliver play offs, you’re asking to be grilled.

I don't think they have changed their expectations as the evidence has always suggested that the main aim is to generate funds by developing and selling players so as to improve the finances. Everything else is PR. Or, if you prefer, lies.

5 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Hate to say it but simply staying in the league , we should be ok - Wednesday (minus 12, Derby to be reviewed FFP) , Wycombe & Rotherham 

16 minutes ago, Harry R said:

To manage fan expectations. To engineer coverage you can attempt to control from a relatively friendly journalist rather than risk it getting out to journos you have no relationship with. It's pretty basic PR strategy.

Absolutely what they are doing.

4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

No, the trust is gone. It's like listening to the Government.

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I would rather be surprised if he was really "thinking it over" and not at all surprised if your explanation is correct.

But not even the most expert spin doctor could give this a positive spin on Monday. "No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still baloney" as the Americans say.

IF Dean really isn't sure he wants the pressure that the step up to head coach entails then he surely should reject it. You should go into a new job feeling excited, not terrified.

Yep. He'll no doubt be aware of the reaction but, assuming he takes it, he's just got to block the noise out and get on with it. The fact that there won't be fans in the ground for some time will work in his favour as far as that's concerned.

I wonder if expectations will be relaxed due to the current climate.

I know all clubs are in the same position but the new manager obviously isn't going to have the funds to bring in the players he wants.

I highly doubt SL will be demanding promotion from Holden this season.

A more attractive/exciting style of football is a must though.

Top 6 is a minimum requirement surely?

Financially, we are in a better position than many clubs although some want to pretend that Covid-19 is only affecting Bristol City.

There are potentially clubs starting with points deductions.

We have struggled at home in recent years. Playing without supporters should make his job easier IMO.

3 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Promotion is Steve Lansdown’s aim.

Hes been ever increasingly clear on that. 

If Holden doesn’t deliver that, he’s failed.

Steve Lansdown’s words mean nothing from now on. He is just full of bluster & hot air and ultimately has completely over promised on what this new appointment would be all about. 

Even his business strategy makes no sense - ‘I’m going to sell my best players every season but expect progress on the pitch’.

2 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Promotion is Steve Lansdown’s aim.

Hes been ever increasingly clear on that. 

If Holden doesn’t deliver that, he’s failed.

It’s a big ask though. This is his record in a young managerial career so far...

Oldham - P15, W3, D5, L7
City - P5, W2, D2, L2

Just now, Lew-T said:

It’s a big ask though. This is his record in a young managerial career so far...

Oldham - P15, W3, D5, L7
City - P5, W2, D2, L2

Something in his power point must have convinced uncle Steve.

Time will tell.

In reality I would be surprised if we are not battling relegation.

Everyone should ignore the bollocks that comes out of SL's mouth. Actions speak louder then words, and his DIRE managerial appointment's on the whole would suggest what he speaks. Is in fact bollocks. 

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

Yep. He'll no doubt be aware of the reaction but, assuming he takes it, he's just got to block the noise out and get on with it. The fact that there won't be fans in the ground for some time will work in his favour as far as that's concerned.

I doubt fans would've booed him, even if we had been back in our seats in September. He was just the fulcrum around which the bad decisions of the Lansdowns and Ashton were levered.

I think if Uncle Steve tries one of his chat to the fans from the pitch once we're back he might hear some choice words though.

Archived