IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, ReggyRed said:

You’ve been planted on here haven’t you. Don’t talk so much tripe. A league two side wouldn’t be excited with appointing Dean Holden 

So anyone who expresses a different opinion 'talks tripe' and is a 'plant'.  A bit sad really.  

Well let’s look at what’s likely to happen. Fam and Elliason sold, so less goals, less assists. Maybe KP gets thrown off the bus too? Minimal signings, a chance loan or two. So squad will be weaker...so a good season will be 20th unless secretly Holden has had a completely different plan to LJ all this time. Doubt it though.

I think his mission is to keep us in the top 12 until crowds are back and we have a more certain financial forecast. And then we'll look to press on.

I obviously wish we'd seized this opportunity with both hands and gone for it, but here we are ?‍♂️

18 minutes ago, westex red said:

Went for Houghton, but Holden fits a lot of the criteria i suppose,age, knows the club and what is required, i will give him my 100% support if he gets the gig!

Bobby Houghton is 72 years old, don’t think we went for him .... Chris Hughton on the other hand is 11 years younger, he may be a good one to go for ...

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

Why do people keep blaming Ashton?

a decision like this would he down to SL

We can't know for sure, but it is widely believed that Ashton wields huge influence over recruitment and while Lansdown will have signed off any decision, the impetus will come from the CEO.

He is the Grima Wormtongue to Lansdown's Theoden if you will.

7 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I don't think they have changed their expectations as the evidence has always suggested that the main aim is to generate funds by developing and selling players so as to improve the finances. Everything else is PR. Or, if you prefer, lies.

Think you’re right. 

What a depressing cycle that is though. Their attention is purely the brand of the club, rather than what matters on the pitch.

Said it on another thread. 

Plays offs at a minimum. If your predecessor was fired for that failure, it's should be set for the incoming man.

However, LJ had 4 years at it. DH is not even a preseason in the position. I think its unfair target. 

Therefore it reinstates that fact that our board is happy to regress as a football team. 

DH must be given time, which he won't get. Hiding to nothing. 

If the impending appointment of Dean Holden as Head Coach is to be believed then I feel the football club have made a really big mistake and missed out on a real opportunity to take us to the next level.

When the rugby club appointed the highly acclaimed Pat Lam as Head Coach that was a real statement of intent and took the club to a different level. It put the club on the map and has definitely made a contribution to the on going success and should lay the foundations for years to come.

Mirror that with the football club and here we have a mult million pound squad that's ever improving, a quality academy, first rate stadium, increasing fan base and yet when it comes to the coaching side we are missing that opportunity to propel this club to the next level.

We are investing as a club on and off the pitch but not as it seems when it comes to the coaching side.

Fans will point to the playoff final with both coaches internal appointments but in Thomas Franke he already inherited a very good squad with a real identity. Fulham with Scott Parker had spent over £100M from the last time they were in the Premier League. Parker has played at Premier League level also so can call on a lot of experience.

Dean Holden on the other hand was part of an already flawed coaching set up that went on long winless runs and has been going backwards in playing identity for some time.

He has had a mere five games in charge in a caretaker capacity and his only previous experience was a stint at Oldham.

It is a massive risk for the club to take.

I really hope I am proved wrong.

Why would Holdens target be any different from Lee Johnson’s?

Harsh as it may sound, he should be held to exactly the same expectations IMO. I’m sure that’s what he’ll be targeting himself.

28 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

What do you know. We have been searching the world for a man to take us forward, hopefully to the promised land (for some anyway) & what do you know, he was right under our noses all of this time! Funny how the world works sometimes. COYR 

I know what was the likelihood of that?? I mean fancy all the other clubs in the world overlooking our Assistant Coach before now. We have got unbelievably lucky here...!

I reckon the pressure to get top 6 will be eased given the Covid fallout. The club had already indicated that player sales are needed to fund any incomings and the emphasis will be on playing youngsters. Without sounding like Alan Hansen, we're not likely to tear up trees playing a lot of younger players but given our mixed successes spending 7 figure fees on players, some of whom have been frankly not good enough to kick on, e. g. Engval, Watkins, Adelukan etc. it's probably preferable to signing 'squad players'. If the club appoint an inexperienced coach like DH, and then expect a top 6 finish without spending they would arguably be setting him up to fail. 

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Think you’re right. 

What a depressing cycle that is though. Their attention is purely the brand of the club, rather than what matters on the pitch.

The stated aim is to make the club self sufficient. The fact that somebody of SL's financial expertise seems to believe that can be done in the Championship is baffling.

Are so many posters assuming that Deano will become the new Head Coach?    :dunno:

All I’ve seen is social media stating that he’s going to be appointed and yet there is absolutely no mention on the OS of either Macca’s sacking or Holden getting the job.

It seems to me that it’s a lot of wild speculation based on pretty much no evidence unless you consider GMG a reliable source.

1 minute ago, Kibs said:

Why would Holdens target be any different from Lee Johnson’s?

Harsh as it may sound, he should be held to exactly the same expectations IMO. I’m sure that’s what he’ll be targeting himself.

Yeah I’m just curious though.

The stubbornness of the board, will they accept failure and get shot of DH if we finish around mid table or lower?

I’m not sure they will. 

15 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

No, the trust is gone. It's like listening to the Government.

Bitter Labour voters are even able to ambush a thread about a football manager being appointed..! 

Give it up and accept you were in a massive minority! 

And no, I didn't vote tory either..! 

The aim has got to be the same as it was under Johnson.

I can't see how you can say "Johnson had to get us top 6 or he has failed" and square it with "Holden will have done OK if he just keeps us in the division".

Covid and potential wage caps will affect all clubs, not just us, so it'll be no harder or easier to get in the top 6 than it was last season. 

Archived