IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Yep, wouldn't be at all surprised.

I don't think we will, but only because Wycombe and Rotherham are fairly nailed on and with at least 1 and probably 2 teams starting on - points we won't be in danger of going down. 

However I do think from what I have seen I am expecting nothing better than 15th.

28 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

TBH from my point of view, I have absolutely no problem with Dean Holden personally and certainly don't want to knock him as a person or a professional. No one I know has a bad word to say about him.

I just don't think he's the right man to be appointing at this time. Better alternatives were out there and were interested, but were rejected.

If he fails, it will be the owner, the board and the CEO I'll be angry with, not him. In fact angry is a bit too mild. F-king furious is nearer.

I hope against hope that Holden can succeed. But I'm certainly not optimistic about that. 

I’ve read hardly anything in this thread, but saw your post and that pretty much sums it up for me. (Are we really taking Holden has the job as the truth, I still cannot quite believe it myself?).

For me it feels like a crossroads and we are heading down the wrong path. Very much like when Moysie lost by the deciding vote and we went for a different Manager. 

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

We can't know for sure, but it is widely believed that Ashton wields huge influence over recruitment and while Lansdown will have signed off any decision, the impetus will come from the CEO.

He is the Grima Wormtongue to Lansdown's Theoden if you will.

I’m sure, he does sign off most decisions.

But a major one like this?? And a massive gamble like this?? Not a chance.

This is Steve Lansdown’s decision.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Are so many posters assuming that Deano will become the new Head Coach?    :dunno:

All I’ve seen is social media stating that he’s going to be appointed and yet there is absolutely no mention on the OS of either Macca’s sacking or Holden getting the job.

It seems to me that it’s a lot of wild speculation based on pretty much no evidence unless you consider GMG a reliable source.

You make a good point but also prove the point that the inaction of the club in failing to communicate with supporters has directly led to the current shit storm.

People can blindly defend Steve Lansdown, Jon Lansdown and Mark Ashton if they want but their management of this process has been rank amateur.

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Bobby Houghton is 72 years old, don’t think we went for him .... Chris Hughton on the other hand is 11 years younger, he may be a good one to go for ...

I'm 66, been there bought the tea shirt been down the gate since i was 14 years old, ex East End boy, SL is very shrewd, and does not want what he's achieved disrupted too much, his opinion has to be respected with what he has done with our club, a great guy for us!

Perhaps in say 6 months time we'll look back on these threads - and the lack of appreciation (or comments) recognising that COVID (like it or not) could be having a much greater impact on the clubs finances than people on here who are happy to criticise realise. Everyone is sick of COVID but I peolpe seem to think we can carry on as normal as if it doesn't exist or is having (or will not have) any impact on us.

We could be looking at a lot of clubs collapsing financially and be grateful that we took a much more cautious approach in appointing a coach for cheaper wages. In addition I suspect someone of Hughton's experience and caliber would possibly want a much larger transfer/wage budget to play with (which we could accept in normal times) but right now could be too big a risk and financially cripple us with FFP rules and lack of club income.

We may just look back and be thankful we've got a board who might be more risk adverse right now in order to protect the long term future. 

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Are so many posters assuming that Deano will become the new Head Coach?    :dunno:

Welcome to 2020, where any old shite posted on social media is believed. Fake news and all that bollocks. No smoke without fire but I doubt anyone really knows what’s going on

18 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

It’s a big ask though. This is his record in a young managerial career so far...

Oldham - P15, W3, D5, L7
City - P5, W2, D2, L2

If,  as you say his record with City is played 5, W2, D2, L2 - then he clearly has something very special about him.  We should watch his mathematical progress with great interest!!

This is the sort of appointment i was hoping we’d avoid. I didn’t want a massive gamble. I wanted someone with at least SOME credentials and shown promise in a previous job.

At the same time, if SL and co feels like Holden has what it takes, then fair enough. I don’t like it, but i can get behind it. 

But what pisses me off is the big talk at the beginning, which raises expectations and now leaves us, with total negativity. 

A new manager should bring positivity around the club and now we won’t have that.

I’ll support Deano. None of us have a clue if he’ll be good at the job, but one things for sure, the handling of the whole thing has been piss poor.

5 weeks to appoint someone at the club?! Don’t make sense at all. 

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

I’m sure, he does sign off most decisions.

But a major one like this?? And a massive gamble like this?? Not a chance.

This is Steve Lansdown’s decision.

I guess his was the Imperial thumb that got turned upwards, but as head of recruiting Ashton would have been heavily involved in the process.

The other thing is it seems likely that Hughton was the preferred choice but couldn't agree to all the stipulations the club wanted him to stick to. One of these stipulations might well be that Mark Ashton remained in charge of buying and selling. 

1 minute ago, Loco Rojo said:

Perhaps in say 6 months time we'll look back on these threads - and the lack of appreciation (or comments) recognising that COVID (like it or not) could be having a much greater impact on the clubs finances than people on here who are happy to criticise realise. Everyone is sick of COVID but I peole seem to think we can carry on as normal.

We could be looking at a lot of clubs collapsing financially and be grateful that we took a much more cautious approach in appointing a coach for cheaper wages. In addition I suspect someone of Hughton's experience and caliber would possibly want a much larger transfer/wage budget to play with (which we could accept in normal times) but right now could be too big a risk and financially cripple us with FFP rules and lack of club income.

We may just look back and be thankful we've got a board who might be more risk adverse right now in order to protect the long term future. 

If this message had been conveyed by the Board and Owner at the outset I think many more people would have been accepting of what you say, right at this moment, rather than having to wait to see whether you will be proven right.

Instead we got the national radio interview that clearly indicated a different approach.

36 minutes ago, westex red said:

Went for Houghton, but Holden fits a lot of the criteria i suppose,age, knows the club and what is required, i will give him my 100% support if he gets the gig!

Sorry spelling was crap, at least i was close ?

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

I guess his was the Imperial thumb that got turned upwards, but as head of recruiting Ashton would have been heavily involved in the process.

The other thing is it seems likely that Hughton was the preferred choice but couldn't agree to all the stipulations the club wanted him to stick to. One of these stipulations might well be that Mark Ashton remained in charge of buying and selling. 

Recruitment process? Yeah Ashton would be fully involved. But would do so under the guidance and instruction from SL

Hughton not wanting to work with Ashton? Total guesswork on your part 

5 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Perhaps in say 6 months time we'll look back on these threads - and the lack of appreciation (or comments) recognising that COVID (like it or not) could be having a much greater impact on the clubs finances than people on here who are happy to criticise realise. Everyone is sick of COVID but I peolpe seem to think we can carry on as normal as if it doesn't exist or is having (or will not have) any impact on us.

Strange how some people can't see that the club having no revenue was going to be a problem. 

Especially those who took their refunds and now complain about the prudent/cheap option. 

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

The aim has got to be the same as it was under Johnson.

I can't see how you can say "Johnson had to get us top 6 or he has failed" and square it with "Holden will have done OK if he just keeps us in the division".

Covid and potential wage caps will affect all clubs, not just us, so it'll be no harder or easier to get in the top 6 than it was last season. 

I agree.

Not only have the fans said this but it’s also come from the very top, very publicly. There’s no going back really, it has to be the same.

1 hour ago, Galley is our king said:

I can't say I know Dean but I was at a senior reds lunch where he did a quick chat and a q and a.

He came across as honest and the sort of person who calls a spade a spade.

He was asked who was the best manager he has worked under?

"Dean Smith".

He was asked some difficult questions as some present tried to make things difficult.

It didn't work as each reply was thought through with honesty and humour.

Just saying....

I was there as well, and completely agree with your thoughts.

Hopefully he will be more Dean Smith and not LJ mk 2.

Nevertheless the whole process has been monumentally badly dealt with.

Putting that to one side, he has to be better than his predecessor, who was an even more ridiculous appointment in my view.

Archived