IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If this message had been conveyed by the Board and Owner at the outset I think many more people would have been accepting of what you say, right at this moment, rather than having to wait to see whether you will be proven right.

Instead we got the national radio interview that clearly indicated a different approach.

Not many threads questioning your valid point is there though? Which is what us frustraring. Something so significant as COVID having such a big impact on the game right now and virtually zero acknowledgment that this could be the reason the club may go down the 'cheap' route. Just all about the lack of ambition etc in appointing Holden over Hughton (to power phrase). 

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If this message had been conveyed by the Board and Owner at the outset I think many more people would have been accepting of what you say, right at this moment, rather than having to wait to see whether you will be proven right.

Instead we got the national radio interview that clearly indicated a different approach.

Great post, and nail on the head.

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

What is it you want the club to communicate with the supporters?

A basic update around the recruitment with an approximate timescale for appointment. Not through a local journalist who may be making it up as he goes along. Stop the hysteria, over reaction and speculation before it even starts.

If you don’t think it is important for the club to communicate that is your prerogative. I think it is important as there never seems to be a lack of  communication around season ticket renewal time.

The lack of communication has resulted in many of the comments you see on this forum this evening. Whether you agree with the comments is irrelevant, anyone with an ounce of intelligence could have predicted that the lack of communication would result in what we see tonight.

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Strange how some people can't see that the club having no revenue was going to be a problem. 

Especially those who took their refunds and now complain about the prudent/cheap option. 

The same financial constraints were there when they were sniffing around Gerrard though, or do you believe that there hadn’t been any sounding out via agents?

I think that’s my over riding emotion right now. Disappointment. It really feels like an opportunity missed. All that hard work, for what?

We can talk about mixed messages from the club, but it’s the actions that speak louder than words - and this one action of appointing Holden tells the fans all they need to know about the true expectations of our owners.

I know some are clearly angry - there is a huge whiff of history repeating itself, and in the past, relegations haven’t been miles away from poor managerial choices from SL.

This really feels like another.

I’m sure that behind doors they think they’ve played a blinder by backing a promising unfancied outsider during this financially uncertain time in football - or perhaps once again they’re over thinking it and missing the opportunity that we, as a financially secure club, could have taken over the next few seasons, as other clubs will undoubtably struggle.

He is on a hiding to nothing and even more so than Streaky.

I think he knows it which is why he's thinking about it over the weekend.

The board have done him no favours at all by leaving it this late and not communicating anything to the media or fans to help lower expectations. They have not dismissed the idea of the calibre of applicants like Chris Hughton which leads me to believe that's who they wanted in the first place.

If fans don't see a different style and we're winning matches from day one they will turn on him quicker than you can say Lee Johnson.

On top of all this there are player's contracts to sort out, a pre season to sort, the type of football that you want to play which is dictated by what playing staff you do have at your disposal. You'll probably have the board negotiating to sell your best assets on (Dhiedhou & Eliasson) and you'll have to deliver on at least a top six finish to meet with the board's expectations in a hugely competitive League that will have the likes of Brentford, Bournemouth, Watford, Norwich, Swansea, Derby, Forest Boro, Cardiff and Stoke to name just a few.

Nice bloke but I hope he has a tin hat.

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Strange how some people can't see that the club having no revenue was going to be a problem. 

Especially those who took their refunds and now complain about the prudent/cheap option. 

Completely agree. I hold my hand up without regret and say I asked for my ST refund (partly becuase I had no interest in watching closed door games and partly becuase of the job risk) but I did that understanding that COVID is impacting everyone to an extent and this club has to watch its finances even more closely - just like the fans who are at risk of the jobs/income. 

I can understand if this is the reason why the club are going down this route. If times were 'normal' and we'd gone down this route then I'd be confused about this, but times aren't normal and I don't think that's sunk in on some on here.

Having taken a bit of time to think about this I'm going to give this the benefit of the doubt until announcement. If MA/JL come forward and give an interview where they man up and admit they and the fans originally were looking for someone else outside the club to come in, but that after interviews they genuinely thought Holden was the best candidate, then fair enough I don't agree but I wasn't in the interview. Then we all know the buck stops with them and they'll have to own it if it all goes tits up.

However if they come out and try and claim he was the outstanding candidate from day one and appointing him was always their intention then that's just not true given how long this has taken and I'll get pissed off all over again at them lying so brazenly.

25 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

The aim has got to be the same as it was under Johnson.

I can't see how you can say "Johnson had to get us top 6 or he has failed" and square it with "Holden will have done OK if he just keeps us in the division".

Covid and potential wage caps will affect all clubs, not just us, so it'll be no harder or easier to get in the top 6 than it was last season. 

As said above mate maybe they want to see another 4 years of improvement from where we finished this season and when we don’t Scott Murray will be next in line for the hot seat

33 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Are so many posters assuming that Deano will become the new Head Coach?    :dunno:

All I’ve seen is social media stating that he’s going to be appointed and yet there is absolutely no mention on the OS of either Macca’s sacking or Holden getting the job.

It seems to me that it’s a lot of wild speculation based on pretty much no evidence unless you consider GMG a reliable source.

Good point,has macca even been sacked?

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Given we don't know the state of play with FFP, or wage caps, that I believe 7 sides have parachute payments I don't see how Holden with his current experience levels or expertise levels will be getting us to top six. 

Yet thats why they sacked Johnson...

Our board man....

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

What is it you want the club to communicate with the supporters?

Who applied?

Who was shortlisted?

Who was interviewed?

When were they interviewed?

Where any of them called Johnson?

Does Stephen Gerrard really say eerrmm at the start of every sentence?

What questions were they asked?

Who asked for the biggest salary - and what was it?

Who asked for the biggest transfer and wages budget?

Who was not prepared to work with our strategy?

Who was not prepared to work with Mark Ashton?

Who was not prepared to work with SL?

Why didn’t we appoint Chris Hughton the day after sacking LJ?

Why didn't we appoint Predictive-spell Houghton?

Why didn't we appoint Cook the day after he resigned from Wigan?

What is due diligence and who cares about that sort of crap anyway?

What’s a budget and does it really matter?

:)

People seem to forget the Steve Lansdown is backing the club already to the tune of many £millions.  If he thinks Dean Holden worthy of a shot at the job, and recognising the fact that he has known him for over 4 years, then I think we should pipe down and support Steve and Dean and see where it takes us.

11 minutes ago, Swede said:

He is on a hiding to nothing and even more so than Streaky.

I think he knows it which is why he's thinking about it over the weekend.

The board have done him no favours at all by leaving it this late and not communicating anything to the media or fans to help lower expectations. They have not dismissed the idea of the calibre of applicants like Chris Hughton which leads me to believe that's who they wanted in the first place.

If fans don't see a different style and we're winning matches from day one they will turn on him quicker than you can say Lee Johnson.

On top of all this there are player's contracts to sort out, a pre season to sort, the type of football that you want to play which is dictated by what playing staff you do have at your disposal. You'll probably have the board negotiating to sell your best assets on (Dhiedhou & Eliasson) and you'll have to deliver on at least a top six finish to meet with the board's expectations in a hugely competitive League that will have the likes of Brentford, Bournemouth, Watford, Norwich, Swansea, Derby, Forest Boro, Cardiff and Stoke to name just a few.

Nice bloke but I hope he has a tin hat.

The problem is I think he'll have to convince the fans in the first place.

When you're linked with a manager who has earned a lot of respect and has 2 championship promotions and a manager who has lower league pedigree and would have kept his side up (and one place behind us) but for the EFL to a guy who only has 20 games experience of which he's won 5 drawn 7 and lost 8 you aren't really inspired by the choice. 

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

People seem to forget the Steve Lansdown is backing the club already to the tune of many £millions.  If he thinks Dean Holden worthy of a shot at the job, and recognising the fact that he has known him for over 4 years, then I think we should pipe down and support Steve and Dean and see where it takes us.

my only issue with that, is that Steve has very publicly said he wants Premier League Football, and I for one am having difficulty squaring Dean Holden and Premier League Football

2 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

This recruitment process was so thorough and professionally handled that it turns out that after 5 weeks, and multiple smokescreens, when they arrived at their chosen internal candidate, they weren’t even 100% sure that the bloke would accept immediately when offered.

Just think that through.

Dumbfounding.

Having sat in the garden and sunk a few ciders and a bit of vino until now, I have thought it through - maybe a bit of a drunken haze, but no worse than the arseholes who have been deliberating for five weeks.

They get rid of Macca and THEN offer the job to Holden - so Holden had no choice in Macca's future, his colleague.

Now, if I was Holden, I'd be thinking "just who will be running the show - me or Ashton if he can hire and fire without my input"

Whats the ****** point in being head honcho if its in name only - why not let Ashton be manager, he wants to be in charge of everything obviously ? 

Thats what I'd be thinking through this weekend - and I would come to the conclusion that I really don't want to be a puppet thanks very much and take all the flak thats coming my way, you have some of that Ashton.

Find someone else, I'll stay as care taker until you find a mug and then I'll move on.

(best of luck in finding someone by the way after this absolute shambles)

5 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Yes

Millions...................Mainly covering his own crap decisions employing the underperforming 

Archived