IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, BrizzleRed said:

The same financial constraints were there when they were sniffing around Gerrard though, or do you believe that there hadn’t been any sounding out via agents?

The media said we were looking at Gerrard, never the club. 

The same media that told us all that Hughton had got the job 2 weeks ago. 

• Admin
36 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

Interesting to see that the likes of Aaron Wilbraham and Gary Owers both reckon DH would make a decent appointment but the hysterical keyboard warriers think their opinion is superior. 

I still think the appointment is a sensible one in the context of the financial limitations the Club will have to operate under next season 

Two points I'd like to make on the above. 

You are implying that Owers (4 seasons) Wilbraham (3 seasons) understand Bristol City better than our fan base? I would love to know why you rate their opinions so highly? 

The club won't be under financial limitations next season as you claim. Read or listen to the football financial experts, playing budgets are not affected in the short term and would take a lot longer of not playing at all before it even gets close to affecting a playing budget. 

The one question I would have is would any other club choose an assistant who's only managed five games in a caretaker capacity over Chris Hughton? 

2 minutes ago, SX227 said:

Nail on head.

"Spend what you like Chris,buy who you like, run the club how you want.

Just run it past Mark and he'll flag it up to me.

I'll let you know what you can do.And how much you'll have to do it.

But besides that - it's all yours to do what you want, with as much funding as you need"

Small wonder Hughton walked way.

Which left DH who wasn't expecting to get it, but as CH basically wouldn't accept the conditions of appointment, here he is.

Not nailed on Holden will take the job either. 

He has a wife and 4 kids - plus they sadly lost a child. I'm not sure the family will be keen on DH taking the job with all the backlash that will follow.

Sometimes family comes first - who would want their kids to cop abuse for the sake of a job.

I'm fairly sure he didn't think he had a scooby's chance - hence the long chat with the family over this weekend.

The Holden family have had some rough times through no fault of their own, so I could see why they would want to have a long and considered think about things.

It's his family who will cop it too if it goes tits up.

I think he could still decline. But that would be it for him at BCFC.

Which might not be a bad thing - maybe another assistant job before applying for the big chair at a smaller (fanbase size anyway) club.

Holden doesn't deserve the crap he's getting. Sure he's a poor choice, but he genuinely didn't think he had a chance.He applied to experience the "process" initially, then things snowballed from there as Lansdowns ludicrous terms of appointment saw candidate after candidate withdraw.

The blame lies with SL and no-one else.

I agree with the vast majority of your post especially about the stick he is getting. But most of it is not aimed at him but at his lack of experience. The only other point is to say no one forced him to apply. He has chosen to enter the contest and therefore has to take the knocks. If he does not want pressure then he should have stayed well away.

• Admin
4 minutes ago, SX227 said:

Don't joke - has had a chat about midfield coaching role. ITFG have offered 1 yr playing + 1 yr coach. He's settled in East Anglia but has been asked the question about coming back in a junior capacity.

I can honestly see Holden with Williams and Skuse supporting him

1 minute ago, phantom said:

You are implying that Owers (4 seasons) Wilbraham (3 seasons) understand Bristol City better than our fan base? I would love to know why you rate their opinions so highly? 

The club won't be under financial limitations next season as you claim. Read or listen to the football financial experts, playing budgets are not affected in the short term and would take a lot longer of not playing at all before it even gets close to affecting a playing budget. 

The one question I would have is would any other club choose an assistant who's only managed five games in a caretaker capacity over Chris Hughton? 

Judging by so many of the comments tonight, think I’d trust almost anyone ahead of some of our fan base!

16 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Let’s assume it’s DH. 
Pre-season starts Monday. 

Who is on his shopping list for IN’s and who is going to be shown the door? 

he can’t use the “clean slate” approach of a new manager coming in- as he has been involved with everyone in the squad. 

I wouldn't be expecting too many incoming players this close season, from many clubs in this division, including ours. 

I honestly believe that keeping hold of Famara is the difference between a mid table season and a relegation battle, if he goes. 

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

When you are right because you guessed?

Its a guess based on probability 

The fact is he was the assistant to a head coach who ran out of ideas two years ago.  If he had the answers....he would have worked with LJ and fixed the issues 

Listen to his interviews. He is a walking cliche. 

Get ready for a season of “we go again” and “the lads are an honest, hardworking bunch”

4 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I don’t think it’s as daft a thought as you think 

???

A self made billionaire, who has spent over £100m on a club, wants them to stay in a division, where most years they lose at least 5m, sometimes a lot more... instead of getting the club into a division which potentially could bring in billions...

We need to accept that for some reason, SL and co, think Holden will do a good job 

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

The fact is he was the assistant to a head coach who ran out of ideas two years ago.  If he had the answers....he would have worked with LJ and fixed the issues 

Get ready for a season of “we go again” and “the lads are an honest, hardworking bunch”

Probability. That’s it. 

Interviews don’t really indicate whether someone will be a good manager or not.

Let just hope he has something about him 

Just now, Riaz said:

???

A self made billionaire, who has spent over £100m on a club, wants them to stay in a division, where most years they lose at least 5m, sometimes a lot more... instead of getting the club into a division which potentially could bring in billions...

We need to accept that for some reason, SL and co, think Holden will do a good job 

He only employs yes men. Pretty simple explanation really 

We will never make the Premiership under Lansdown. Great businessman...but clueless when it comes to football . Absolutely clueless 

2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Probability. That’s it. 

Interviews don’t really indicate whether someone will be a good manager or not.

Let just hope he has something about him 

Let’s hope he doesn’t accept 

1 minute ago, phantom said:

I certainly don't have the arrogance to think I know better than respected footballers although seemingly you do.  

It's been well documented that all Championship Clubs who don't receive parachute payments will operate under difficult financial restrictions next season.  City have been able to do a bit of recruitment on the back of some more than decent transfer outgoings in the last couple of seasons from the likes of Webster, Kelly, Brownhill, Reid, Pack & Bryan.  This season there will be lesser incoming fees for the likes of Eliasson and possibly Diedhiou if they go.   Obviously, lesser fees means there will less scope for an incoming manager who wants to recruit heavily.   

3 hours ago, CiderCraig said:

And its your prerogative to not invest any more. What I don't get is people saying they won't support City until Ashton has gone, or Holden. 

Holden applied, he got the job. 

There's a ***** who is a manager at my local supermarket. I really, really hate him. Doesn't stop me shopping there though 

That's because he doesn't affect the quality of the product.

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm just catching up as was watching the boxing, I'm amazed by the paranoia of some 

Just been asking Mr Google about football finances, I’m certainly not finding positive reports, most seem to be about clubs having a shortfall of a lot of money.

1 hour ago, NotRoyal said:

If the board interview a group of managers and realise that Holden is in their opinion the best available, that’s good enough for me.  Due diligence dictates you have to speak to others before deciding.  If Holden turns them down they move on to their next choice 

You ***!!

Just now, Superjack said:

That's because he doesn't affect the quality of the product.

You do realise that the quality deterioration is imaginary at present? As is the comparator with other managerial candidates, and we will never know the reality in those instances. The performances in 5 games last season is not comparable as he was operating with a squad that had deficiencies in midfield that should be rectified. 
Once we are about 6 games into the season, your hypothetical theory of deterioration can be analysed against actual data, although this may show an improvement, disproving this imagines theory.

One question that I'd love to ask MA and SL....

How has it taken you five sodding weeks to work out DH is the best guy for the job??

Shouldn't you already know about your staff? 

He wasn't the tea boy!!! 

Just goes to show how poorly MA is running the show. I'm guessing they'll come out with the normal lies about how he's been outstanding throughout the process, players love him....

This shows the total abject failure of MA and SL. More than a month to review an internal candidate that's been with the club for years

Appalling

Well let’s see what happens in the next few days, but if Holden is the best man in the view of SL and MA then so be it... let’s get on with it and see what happens.

However, I would not be surprised at all to see someone else get the job given:

1. Would Holden really take the weekend to decided if he had been offered the head coach role?

2. Would have JMac been moved on before the head coach had been agreed? 

3. Could there be another head coach in the frame and Holden has been offered a role (that he is thinking about over the weekend) whilst JMac has not been offered a role and let go?

4. Could there be some news in AG that only a few people are aware of and hence have been told to deactivate social media (Tins and Scotty?)

The above makes a lot of sense but to be frank we are all in the same situation... we don’t KNOW anything.

Counter to the above I can also see why Holden COULD be the best man for the job if the other candidates don’t fit with the club strategy of developing younger players  (I think the recent deviation from this was part of LJs downfall).

Roll on an announcement!

21 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I absolutely cannot stand it when i hear/see someone use the phrase "we go again" so cringey. 

23 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

The media said we were looking at Gerrard, never the club. 

The same media that told us all that Hughton had got the job 2 weeks ago. 

From memory, Gregor was the one who first said SG was our no 1 target and to be fair to him, he’s been accurate through this mess.

I think it was the Mail that started the rush to report that we’d got Hughton, but Gregor insisted it wasn’t a done deal.

It was mentioned on here that Gerrard’s agent is the same one Mark Ashton uses for our player recruitment.  If that’s correct, it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that someone at City could have casually asked the agent if there would be any point in us approaching Rangers for permission to speak to Gerrard.

We would then be telling the truth that we haven’t spoken to Gerrard and Gerrard would be equally truthful if he says he hasn’t heard from us.

Just now, Nugget said:

Why was the drone up today with the media dept working on something? Yet DH is taking his tome to mull over. I’ve been told, still, to expect an announcement tomorrow (Saturday). 

The new over priced kit they expect us to buy. 

2 hours ago, Riaz said:

Hughton not wanting to work with Ashton? Total guesswork on your part 

That's true, but Hughton not wanting to work with a bloke - any other bloke - who was in charge of recruitment and selling? I can believe that!  Hughton is famously meticulous.  Can you imagine a guy like that surrendering any control over who is at the club to a third party? I can't. 

You're right to say this is conjecture, but there has to be some reason he interviewed here but then didn't fancy it. 

1 hour ago, AshtonG666 said:

Unless LJ has been cheating a living for the past 4 years and it was in fact DH who was pulling the strings and was the brains behind the operation, how is appointing him now going to be the answer and the step SL suggested we needed to get over the line

Surely this is a measurable step backwards in terms of experience etc

I can't get my head around it. Nice guy he may be but he also comes across as abit dull and not someone who will fire up the team when the chips are down

It needs a new voice and face to give the whole club a lift and help fine tune the players and get us to the Premiership

Well I don't think it was Holden that was pulling the strings, but he has.

29 minutes ago, Chappers said:

You do realise that the quality deterioration is imaginary at present? As is the comparator with other managerial candidates, and we will never know the reality in those instances. The performances in 5 games last season is not comparable as he was operating with a squad that had deficiencies in midfield that should be rectified. 
Once we are about 6 games into the season, your hypothetical theory of deterioration can be analysed against actual data, although this may show an improvement, disproving this imagines theory.

It was still a s*** analogy.

Archived