IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

I've finally managed to find something positive in this situation. 

Dean's wife used to present on ITV, so perhaps we may finally get a decent presenter on Robins TV? 

The only positive to be taken from this would be if Dean's wife were called Amanda...

10 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

Angus has spoken.

This is what happens when all your favoured candidates don't like the working conditions stipulated, and start to drop out.

You then work your way down the list until you find someone who does/will accept your conditions.

I still hold out hope that this isn't the case though.

47 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

We are all taking MacGregors article as gospel and fact.  While one has to think he does seem to have some inside info he could  be wrong.  The club been so tight on this saga. 

No where else has this been leaked from club, one has to think Monday is announcement day and I still retain a degree of hope DH will not be the HC. I am still struggling to get my head round the fact that after 5  of weeks interviews and looking at all applications the best was our No 2 under the failed LJ tenure.  

Exactly. I do wish people would read the article properly. If you read the headline then things seen very fixed. Go a bit further down and you will see that things aren't so certain, with phrases like: 'appears to be', 'leaning towards' and 'still a chance that Hughton could get the job'. So what are we left with - no certainty at all and a clickbait headline. Maybe Holden will get the job, but maybe not - it's not done. This is what the article actually says.

"Dean Holden appears to be in the driving seat, with Bristol Live understanding that the board are leaning towards giving Holden the job on a full time basis.

Chris Hughton is his closest challenger on the bookies list, but while there is still a chance Hughton could get the job and no final decisions have been confirmed, it looks as if Holden is leading the charge."

12 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

Angus has spoken.

Think this hits on it for me.

I’d be disappointed if we appointed Holden, but it’s not his fault if he gets offered the chance to be HC and takes it; it’s whatever process that’s led to this decision that needs ragging.

If he ended up in charge, for the sake of the club I hope he turns out to be amazing, and will support him till he gives cause not to; not suggesting he will be brilliant, but hardly going to want my own team to fail just because I’m disappointed in the appointment.

But he’s been given the worst possible start with the fans (and in preparing for the new season which is danger-close) by not being announced ASAP after the season - at least then it could be seen as a continuity/cautious appointment in an age of uncertainty - then if he does well it looks like a smart choice, and if he failed; well, was a sign of the times.

But Angus Scott has nailed it; Holden is being given the worst possible start this way.

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

if he reads social media he wont touch the job. 

Even without social media, Dean Holden will fully expect this reaction. It shouldn't upset or surprise him. He knows he's a rank outsider for the role. He knows he's a gamble. He knows he's not a fans favourite or a glamorous name.

1 hour ago, daored said:

If he turns it down (which I don’t expect he will) who do we turn to on Monday ?

I don't think he is "thinking about it" over the weekend, I recon they didnt want to hit us with its Dean Holden yesterday so they told us we've offered the job to him just to delay the official its Dean Holden announcement till Monday and hope that the fans backlash would have died down slightly....rarely do clubs announce they have offered a job to someone...just bullshit from the club.

3 minutes ago, weepywall said:

I don't think he is "thinking about it" over the weekend, I recon they didnt want to hit us with its Dean Holden yesterday so they told us we've offered the job to him just to delay the official its Dean Holden announcement till Monday and hope that the fans backlash would have died down slightly....rarely do clubs announce they have offered a job to someone...just bullshit from the club.

Why is announcing on Monday any different from announcing on Friday?  Sorry, I don’t buy that.  I still think that there is the possibility of a rabbit being pulled from a hat here...

12 hours ago, YGBjammy said:

He is incredibly lucky that he will have the first few games on the season with no crowd. There won't be abuse targeted at him, but the atmosphere would be toxic.

And if he f**ks up those first few games, they'll be lucky to have anyone attending the games thereafter.

8 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Why is announcing on Monday any different from announcing on Friday?  Sorry, I don’t buy that.  I still think that there is the possibility of a rabbit being pulled from a hat here...

I agree with you, things don't add up. They only make sense with the scenario that a manager from outside the club has been appointed and has agreed for Holden to be his assistant  (his head coach). I tend to think that manager is Hughton, but it could possibly be a foreign manager. Odd that just before this announcement by a journalist  (not an official club announcement) a lot of money went on Hughton at the bookies. Why would a coach be sacked and then Holden be thinking about the position he has been offered, a position he applied for? When have Bristol City ever offered the top job to any candidate and then given them the weekend to think about it? Surely they want the manager to bite their hand off in their haste to accept the post?

Whatever the outcome it has been an unmitigated PR disaster.

I’m just trying to contemplate the worst senior management balls up in history. SL Said someone to bring a breath of fresh air, this was a lie. DH will start with the pressure on already, I have no beef with the guy, he applied and got the job so fair to play to him. He may do a Eddie Howe and come from nowhere and have a good season, LJ and JMc ideas may have been so different and SL liked what he heard. SL invested heavily in Bristol Rugby Coach but not doing the same at the Football, I’m grateful for the stadium etc but it’s useless if we’re bottom half of the Championship.

Im just so baffled, as I said in previous post, the anger has gone and it’s deflation now. Manor Farm for me next season. 

16 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

People riot more during heat waves. That’s a fact. Heat makes people arsey. And people go drinking on a Friday. On a Monday less so. Add heat and booze to an unpopular decision and there’s a higher likelihood to nastiness

19 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

I would be absolutely amazed if it’s Hughton. I think people are being naive at best hoping he still may take it or be offered the role.

Why would a man with his credentials and principles be messed around by a small time club like ours? 

Sky Sports News have said we have offered DH the head coach position but taking weekend to think about it.

12 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Can't really compare Zinedine Zidane to a bloke who played right-back for Oldham, Falkirk and Shrewsbury, Sam.  ;)

Why not, he was an unproven coach. So was Guardiola.

The fact that they had stellar playing careers is irrelevant.

They had zero credentials as coaches

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Moyes v Pulis? 

Thought was Taylor v Pulis. Unless you're referring to a different year.

A Devils Advocate approach may also have shown Pulis to already have a promotion under his belt at that time (Gillingham to the third tier) and one or two late goals from taking Gillingham to the Championship in playoff v Man City- would've been a historical achievement for them.

I’m pretty certain it was Moyes or Pulis and the board were split and SL had the deciding vote. I think I’ve tried to blank out the detail as I’m still upset about that bad call ?

Yes Pulis was on paper at the time desirable, but as I’ve just written elsewhere you got to look someone in the eyes and see what the candidate is made of. But I do admit that Pulis has managed to talk his way into being almost constantly employed and seems to mostly come out smelling of roses by sueing people

4 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Sky Sports News have said we have offered DH the head coach position but taking weekend to think about it.

Yes...but where did they get that from?  Bristol live & MacGregor. This is better than any soap drama   Great fun now.  No longer p1ssed off.  Roll on Monday

6 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Yet another ominous report from sky sports I would suggest. Perhaps a rep from Sky Sports was at BS3 on Friday afternoon sipping Harveys Bristol Cream with Ashton, lansdown and Deano. 

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep they will do that. They’ll also block people I think, they’ve been doing that more and more recently.

OTIB will crash tomorrow same as it did for almost two days before LJ handed back his car keys.

8 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Yes...but where did they get that from?  Bristol live & MacGregor. This is better than any soap drama   Great fun now.  No longer p1ssed off.  Roll on Monday

I thought SSN were usually a good source, maybe this is one big bluff eh

Archived